Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

archerb posted:

early access games like those remind me of the "total overhaul" mod projects that would disappoint me as a childe. they might stop development on them someday but most are never gonna be "finished". also playing a game from alpha and waiting on incremental improvements to come out sucks anyway. ignore early access with me, all.
i agree. theres a lot of cool ideas and as a kid you always imagine these totally intractable survival games like: WHAT IF I CAN STEAL EVERYTHING AND FORT UP IN A COSTCO?? COOL! But they're always half baked and never gunna be fully finished.

that said OP, i (probably stupidly) picked up 7 Days to Die since a friend was begging me to play and it's not... entirely bad. it has a lot of things that are already implented and work pretty well (destructabile terrain, almost everything can be broken down and used for something like you would expect it to do, decent thirst/hunger/health/stamina system that isn't frustrating or boring work, and building forts or underground bases are pretty rad).

but holy mother of god, the hitboxes and actual combat in this is atrocious. if they ever can get it so enemies react to getting hit, don't lag like poo poo and hit you even though you're several feet apart, then it would be a pretty fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fronz posted:

I don't know if don't starve counts but it's good

it's also getting multiplayer, which should really help. ds was a cool game but you get kinda bored playing it by yourself.

i really should get back into it. i burnt out after playing a lot during the beta and after release so i havent checked out all the new content yet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Starhawk64 posted:

At first I thought Early Access games were a neat concept, but now I realized it's a basically a scam. You're basically paying them to beta test, and by the time the game gets fully released, you're already sick of playing it, and who knows when it'll get fully released.

yeah basically. it's really easy to burn out early in the alpha/beta stages. I've avoided grim dawn though I own because I just want to play it once it's actually complete. I stupidly played starbound and man what a lovely beta. i'm not even interested in playing it at launch now--that's how bad and boring it was.

It's also like this as a developer. you get real sick fast of trying every little change and cataloging every bug that comes up, ad nausea and all you ever see is how much further you need to go. hell, the only thing I ever did development for was a dumb custom map called Squadron TD on sc2 and I didn't want to even play it after awhile and felt relieved when I stopped.

It's not surprising that most of the EA developers also have limited full development experience yet have ton of initial vision and ambitions. And that comes crashing down when they burn out of the development process and see how much more its gunna cost and take in shear man hours to even come close to their initial ambitions.. so of course they take the money, quit and give up the gently caress up and then go on a long duration to backpack around europe and crash in italy for a few months to start another EA game a year later.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 1, 2014

• Locked thread