Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
This is big enough to deserve it's own thread. Word on the street is that UAB is going to imminently shut down their football program, via SI and everyone else piggybacking off of that. http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/30/alabama-birmingham-shuts-down-football-program-fires-athletic-director

Basically, the AD will/has been fired, odds are C-USA will drop the school, people will lose their scholarships, and all this because of local politics. If someone from that area wants to get into the deal where the Alabama regents control UAB and would rather pour every cent into Alabama football over UAB anything, go for it.

IIRC, this is the first program to drop football since either Boston University or East Tennessee State. Other schools are hurting financially as well, UNLV comes to mind, and the axe could be falling on them. The Manning suit against the NCAA will certainly be considered a cause in this, but whether that's a legitimate claim is up for debate.

Either way, it remains to be seen if this is a case of football not being too big to fail, local politics favoring the biggest entity, or a sign of things to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Asked in the main thread but might as well ask here. What happens to the teams on their schedule for next year? Does it just go as a cancelled game or can teams schedule new teams in their spot?

I ask because UT was supposed to play UAB in the season opener next year in Charlotte. I can't imagine that's not gonna cause problems with BofA stadium.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

UAB will be the first FBS program to drop since Pacific twenty years ago.

As for CUSA membership, CUSA already came out and said they'll be dropped for lack of a football program. That means plenty of Sun Belt and FCS ADs are updating their realignment PowerPoint presentations tonight.

As for UAB's other sports, they'll have to beg their way into a FCS level conference like the A-10 or Missouri Valley...or they could accept asylum in something like the Great West or WAC. Considering how football was treated, it surely wouldn't shock if Bama went for UAB's other programs.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 1, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

MindlessHavok posted:

Asked in the main thread but might as well ask here. What happens to the teams on their schedule for next year? Does it just go as a cancelled game or can teams schedule new teams in their spot?

I ask because UT was supposed to play UAB in the season opener next year in Charlotte. I can't imagine that's not gonna cause problems with BofA stadium.
Presumably they're all just going to line up games against different opponents. Schedule changes have been made on way less notice than an entire offseason—really it seems like almost every year there's some game that gets pulled off the schedule in, like, June and now someone is playing Citadel where their marquee OOC matchup was supposed to be.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

C. Everett Koop posted:

IIRC, this is the first program to drop football since either Boston University or East Tennessee State.
Last FBS team was, as mentioned, Pacific after '95. For that matter, very few FBS teams have actually dropped their programs since the division split occurred—besides Pacific the only ones I know of are Cal State Fullerton (1992), Long Beach State (1991), and Wichita State (1986).

If you count FCS teams then it's, uhh, a lot. The most recent high-profile ones were probably Hofstra and Northeastern both after the 2009 season, but at a less noticeable level you had (among others) the entire MAAC football league end up folding except for Marist, Duquesne and Georgetown. (Yes, the MAAC sponsored football at one point.)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There used to be a Tampa too. They bailed in the mid-70s. They'd had some success in their brief rise to Division 1 in the pre-IA/IAA split, but the school thought that the NFL moving into town would kill them. USF later filled that void, I guess.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Sash! posted:

There used to be a Tampa too. They bailed in the mid-70s. They'd had some success in their brief rise to Division 1 in the pre-IA/IAA split, but the school thought that the NFL moving into town would kill them. USF later filled that void, I guess.
Oh, I mean, if you keep going back, you end up coming across a shitload of schools that either temporarily or permanently dropped football (or just stopped playing at the top level). It's just been unusual for teams to leave FBS since about 1985 or so (most of the teams who went to FCS had made up their minds after '82 but I seem to recall there were a few stragglers, plus whatever the gently caress the MVC was doing until it gave up football).

In the case of Tampa, they only effectively played at the DI level for like four years, though I wanna say they irregularly scheduled MAC teams (and fellow now-discontinued team Xavier) for a long time before that. And yeah a combination of the Bucs moving into town and the program apparently bleeding money seems to have contributed to the decision to shutter that program. Tampa's other sports are still in DII somewhere, I think.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

C. Everett Koop posted:

If someone from that area wants to get into the deal where the Alabama regents control UAB and would rather pour every cent into Alabama football over UAB anything, go for it.

It's not so much that they want the money to flow into the Alabama football program, they want that money to flow into Tuscaloosa. The BoT for Alabama is weirdly laid out, and not balanced at all, as the congressional district around T-Town has 3 seats on the board, compared to every other congressional district's two (UAB and UAH included in those that only have 2 members). I think what you're seeing is a power play to grow the city of Tuscaloosa and the Capstone, and lessen Birmingham's overall impact on the UA system. UAB has by far the best Science and Medical School/Facilities in the state, but if you take away athletics, you take away a poo poo ton of prospective students from that school and city. Students that by a recent study have a $5 million dollar economic impact in that city per 1,000 students. You've already seen the move to block an on-campus stadium a few years back, a stadium that had overwhelming support from both UA, and UAB students. I think you're just seeing the conclusion of a plan that started a while ago.

What's really hosed up is that UAB IS the Birmingham economy. They're the largest employer, they prop up a ton of support businesses, and they provide the highest medical care in the state/region. poo poo tons of S&P500 companies have come and folded/gone bankrupt/left Birmingham but UAB is a rock in that community. Jefferson County should be up in arms over this, but I don't think that they can see the potential impact this could have on them in the long term.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Birmingham is kind of a finance center for the south, right? I remember there being a couple decent-sized banks HQ-ed there.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Birmingham is kind of a finance center for the south, right? I remember there being a couple decent-sized banks HQ-ed there.

Regions and BBVA Compass have their headquarters there, but Charlotte is largely the finance capital of the south.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
UAH has a hockey team, right? How does that not get axed?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

UAH has a hockey team, right? How does that not get axed?

Flying far enough under the radar that they don't matter.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nope, it got the ax back in 2011 from an interim chancellor from Tuscaloosa.

But the community stepped up to save it. And succeeded, namely with a lot of booster money.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 1, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's actually really weird that UAH hockey survived at all. Because of the highly reduced number of schools competing, college hockey has a totally different conference alignment from most sports, and UAH's conference became a women's-only league after 2010 due to departures, with them being the odd man out. Despite an absolutely desperate three seasons of independence in which they were just about the worst team in the entire division (seriously they went like 10-75 or something like that) and the interim president outright announcing the sport would revert to club status, they managed to hang on just long enough to land a new conference home.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Good Lord does Alabama really treat their schools this badly? :cripes:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Good Lord does Alabama really treat their schools this badly? :cripes:

The problem is with how the BoT is set up. UAH had no Alumni on the board and only one Huntsville resident on the board, last time I checked. UAB I think has a few alumni, but again, only 2 congressional members instead of the 3 that T-town has.

There's a guy from Vestavia Hills (Rich part of Birmingham, near UAB), who is proposing legislation to change this, but it takes a majority in the state legislature to amend the constitution to do this. His idea is to have all the congressional districts send 2 members, the governor and superintendent of education, one member from each alumni group (UA, UAB, UAH), the mayors of all 3 cities, and county managers from each county the schools reside in, along with 2 at large members selected by the Speaker of the House and President pro temp of the Senate.

It'd make the BoT completely balanced and impartial, and I expect his efforts to fail spectacularly.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol i honestly cant wait for non-pro football to collapse

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Honestly, I'm a pretty good football watcher and I've never even heard of the Blazers before in my life. I didn't even know what UAB's football program was called before I googled it. Then when I tried searching Blazers Program in specific to learn more about it, I only came up with pics of women wearing business-appropriate attire that apparently really gives me an erection.

Point is I think the world will keep turning if the school goes tits up and has its NCAA team collapse

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sweet thursday posted:

Honestly, I'm a pretty good football watcher and I've never even heard of the Blazers before in my life.

Blaze is skeptical of your claims to bee a "pretty good football watcher and not seen UAB on a Thursday night game or as the random OOC team that keeps turning up in your NCAA Football 2004 dynasty.

I was there in 2010 when UAB took the Vols to 2OT!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
UAB may be best known for when they admitted a 15-year old female wunderkid and housed her in the athletic dorm for some reason. It did not end well.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm not even 30% through the link because I keep putting on a cringe face every time I scroll down and expect to find the word "rape" in some context

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

sweet thursday posted:

Honestly, I'm a pretty good football watcher and I've never even heard of the Blazers before in my life.

They were the cupcakes for Arkansas and Mississippi State this year. They also almost beat Marshall 3 weeks ago or something like that. If you only watch top 25 ball, you'd probably never see them, but they're fairly notable overall.

poo poo, they almost landed Jimbo Fisher back when he was an OC at LSU, but again, the BoT didn't approve the contract, not wanting to upstage Saban who was just hired. (poo poo, Saban even offered him a job after that fiasco, which he rightfully turned down before going to FSU)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

go3 posted:

lol i honestly cant wait for non-pro football to collapse

What needs to happen is that there is a developmental leagues set up for Football and basketball (YES, I'M AWARE OF THE NBDL, BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT) for graduating High School Seniors who's aim is not get an education, but rather to play football

They stay there for 2-3 years, and when the time comes? They can apply for the draft. You allow for out clauses if a player isn't looking like he's going to make the pros via playing in this league, and you allow him to try college ball with FULL ELIGIBILITY.

You set up a two tier system, and make College Athletics be pretty much what it's intended for. You make 4 year scholarships mandatory, and you allow a stipend of some sorts collected from the profits of team merchandise, ticket sales, and other things of that nature. (this also goes to every athlete from the starting QB to the women's volleyball player).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they were also the only team that Southern Miss beat last year, their first win in nearly 2 years I believe. If GD_American were still around he'd have the exact number of days before that win.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Annnnd I got 60% through it and yeah it does end in rape. Go drown in pig poo poo UAB football program and take your ignominy with you

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Viper_3000 posted:

poo poo, they almost landed Jimbo Fisher back when he was an OC at LSU, but again, the BoT didn't approve the contract, not wanting to upstage Saban who was just hired. (poo poo, Saban even offered him a job after that fiasco, which he rightfully turned down before going to FSU)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/9891201

More BoT shenanigans- one of the trustees who was part of the group that nixed Fisher going to UAB was...Bear Bryant's son. It's further alleged that the eventual coach, Neil Callaway was pretty much forced on the Blazers. Neil was not what you would call an inspired choice, as he put up years of 2-10, 4-8, 5-7, 4-8 and 3-9 before getting the chop.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

sweet thursday posted:

Annnnd I got 60% through it and yeah it does end in rape. Go drown in pig poo poo UAB football program and take your ignominy with you

Jesus Christ you weren't kidding. gently caress.

Also, this is pretty solid testimony to the fact that you really, really shouldn't send a 15 year old to a college campus to live. Being academically ready for college and being emotionally/socially ready for college are very, very different things.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

skaboomizzy posted:

UAB may be best known for when they admitted a 15-year old female wunderkid and housed her in the athletic dorm for some reason. It did not end well.

:stare:

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

:stonk:

While I don't think these really lovely, awful things from 2000 should affect their football program in 2014 it's still disgusting and awful. The gently caress were any of the adults involved with this thinking?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Kwik posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/9891201

More BoT shenanigans- one of the trustees who was part of the group that nixed Fisher going to UAB was...Bear Bryant's son. It's further alleged that the eventual coach, Neil Callaway was pretty much forced on the Blazers. Neil was not what you would call an inspired choice, as he put up years of 2-10, 4-8, 5-7, 4-8 and 3-9 before getting the chop.

Even Sullivan the old OC would have made a good coach. I think that guy is STILL at Samford, putting up winning seasons. But yeah, the BoT doesn't give a single gently caress about UAH or UAB athletics. They didn't even put the on-campus stadium proposal on their agenda for a meeting. One that had a ton of support from boosters, the city of Birmingham, UAB Students, UA Students (a SGA bill passed supporting it), and financial backing. Legion field is a dump and should be condemned and that entire BoT knew it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

ComposerGuy posted:

Jesus Christ you weren't kidding. gently caress.

Also, this is pretty solid testimony to the fact that you really, really shouldn't send a 15 year old to a college campus to live. Being academically ready for college and being emotionally/socially ready for college are very, very different things.

Especially shouldn't send a 15 year old who is 100% naive about world things to a college campus to live.

Or if you do, at least make sure they are in some sort of program like ROTC. We had a 16 year old in our dorm at TTU, but she was well adjusted and well protected by the ROTC family as well as the honors college family.

That story is just... awful.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I couldn't bring myself to finish the article but in my Disney movie fantasy universe it ends with her becoming the princess in Frozen who saves the day for everyone

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

skaboomizzy posted:

I read that story back when it broke. Goddamn that was vile.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

FuzzySkinner posted:

What needs to happen is that there is a developmental leagues set up for Football and basketball (YES, I'M AWARE OF THE NBDL, BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT) for graduating High School Seniors who's aim is not get an education, but rather to play football

The FXFL exists!

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 1, 2014

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

sweet thursday posted:

I couldn't bring myself to finish the article but in my Disney movie fantasy universe it ends with her becoming the princess in Frozen who saves the day for everyone

I finished it.

Keep that Disney version with you. Do not loving finish it.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The evidence glows white on the campus tonight
Not an RA to be seen.
A kingdom of manipulation,
and it looks like I'm the Queen
The team is prowling for their chance to get inside
Couldn't keep them out;
Heaven knows I've tried

Don't let them in,
don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Fifteen, don't feel,
don't let them know
Well now they know

Let it go, let it go
Can't support UAB football anymore

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

sweet thursday posted:

Not an RA to be seen.
Couldn't keep them out;
Heaven knows I've tried

Don't let them in,
don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Fifteen, don't feel,
don't let them know
Well now they know

Let it go, let it go
Can't support UAB football anymore

:stare:

I'm going to go take a long pull of the bottle of Jameson in my kitchen.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

sweet thursday posted:

Not an RA to be seen.
Couldn't keep them out;
Heaven knows I've tried

Don't let them in,