Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious by this car park corpse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

Henry V [...] a very dull play.

condolences on your terrible opnion

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm still saying it's a good movie, but this made me laugh.

it's actually very bad

like unbelievably bad

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
sorry I don't watch anime

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
prospero is a sorcerer capable of calling upon the primal forces of the elements and scattering an entire fleet in a storm of his own conjuring

he can magic up a blouse dude

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Ariel's the one who scatters the fleet in the storm. Prospero just says "hey Ariel, do a thing."

yeah but this stems from the renaissance conception of what a sorcerer is. the harry potter-dresden style of wizard, whose power is inborn, is fairly modern. for contemporary audience, one's power as a sorcerer stemmed from one's ability to call up and control elemental spirits (or demons). ariel being able to wreck the fleet is a reflection of prospero's power, even if it doesn't seem that way to us now bc of what we expect magic users to be like

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hey Ariel, make a shirt.

there's also this yeah

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
last time i saw the tempest it had what's his face from law and order playing prospero

e: sam waterston

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Behemuff posted:

Well I was hoping for a pointer towards something a little less monolithic, or some primer. But thanks for being a patronising oval office :)

it's the right answer to your question dude

calm down

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
if you were a proper gent you'd have written about the all-nude version of the tempest being performed in central park this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the smug face suggests you're kidding but all three parts of henry vi really are agonisingly boring

• Locked thread