Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Raxivace posted:

Have you ever been reading The Tempest and thought "Hey this play is pretty good but would be better if literally every character was played by a naked lady"? Well apparently some New Yorkers thought the same thing. NSFW.

I know this kind of thing has been done before, and I'm curious as to what people think about it.

I'd dig it more if all the characters who were born on the island (Prospero, Miranda, Ariel, and Caliban) were naked but the king and his men weren't. I feel like that'd emphasize colonial subtext a bit more, and explain away how, in most productions, Miranda has women's clothes that fit her even though this should be impossible. Ntm, the two world dichotomy between divinity/myth and humanity would be more pronounced.

But all the characters?? That's just trying to be edgy for the sake of it imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Prospero and Miranda weren't born on the island, and it's not clear if Ariel was born there either.

Miranda arrived there as a baby. How would she have women's clothes unless Prospero knit her some? If so, its not mentioned anywhere in the play. I'm just saying there's some additional realism to it. My main point is that having the native residents nude and the king's men in royal duds might add something to the production. Going all the way just feels like a lack of restraint. The article points to acting troupes doing it for nudist colonists of america or something, which maybe says something about the true motivation for their interpretation of the play.

• Locked thread