Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Falstaff Infection posted:

To continue the R+J discussion, I've found that it seems to be in vogue among hip young literary sorts these days to be totally down on that play. They'll say things like "Oh, it's just about a couple of stupid teenagers who kill themselves for no reason. Nothing romantic about that." This, in my opinion, is cynical, contrarian nonsense. It's like people who hate on Catcher in the Rye because "Holden is a brat" (no poo poo he is.) To expand:

- The text is fully aware that Romeo and Juliet are somewhat foolish. The play is, at least on one level, a cautionary tale.

- Cautionary tale aside, Juliet speaks some of the best, most sophisticated love poetry ever written. Fact.

Eh, the complaints I've heard are more about the language. Like,

quote:

Now Romeo is beloved and loves again,
Alike betwitched by the charm of looks,
But to his foe supposed he must complain,
And she steal love's sweet bait from fearful hooks:

We go straight from the admittedly charming scene where Romeo compares Juliet to a saint, to Juliet being compared to a fish.

Falstaff Infection posted:

- If you don't think Mercutio is fun you're dead inside.

This is true. My favorite interpretation is that he's an older, wiser friend of Romeo who is also suffering from PTSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread