Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Captain Mog posted:

Apologies because this isn't related to Falstaff. I teach Shakespeare in my English classes and I have to say that a lot of the disdain for him in the younger set comes from the fact that his works are often read silently rather than watched (like they should be). I actually think that it's much more effective for most to watch him performed. I didn't understand Twelfth Night at all as a 17-year old and found it confusing as hell until I actually saw it and thought it was hilarious.

Best Shakespeare adaptation IMO is Baz Lurhmann's Romeo & Juliet- I showed it this past semester and the kids loved it too. I also liked Joss Whedon's Much Ado about Nothing (and yes I realize that's awful goony of me to say). Titus by Julie Taymor is excellent as well; Jessica Lange kills it in that movie.

How do you feel about the modern take on it with copious amounts of Leonardo DiCaprio? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Speaking of Romeo & Juliet, is the standard modern interpretation of "Biting my thumb at you" as being equal to "flipping you off" accurate?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Isn't it generally agreed that we appreciate Shakespeare more for his language than his plots? R&J seems to be the prime example of this.

• Locked thread