Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

kaworu posted:

But yeah - I'd never recommend A Comedy of Errors as a play for someone to read, but I'd absolutely recommend someone to go see a good production of it, is the point I think I'm making.

It's a great play for busting the idea that Shakespeare has to be stuffy and respectable and dull. It's a magnificent farce, and as long as it's played for what it is and not what people would like it to be, it's impossible not to have fun watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hamlet is incomplete without an actor to perform him.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Recently saw Henry V at Middle Temple with a very interesting conceit that considerably elevated a very dull play. It's quite hard to explain, but they did it with this sort-of-a-frame story that the actors are all First World War soldiers (half British, half French, plus a couple of nurses) who get attacked and wounded and gassed in a joint attack, and one of them happens to have a copy of Henry V about his person, and they start reciting bits to entertain each other, and then it very quickly faded from "these are soldiers screwing around with the play" into "these are the actors performing Henry V in First World War dress", with occasional moments when the original idea of "these are soldiers screwing around with the play" suddenly snapped back in.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

End Of Worlds posted:

condolences on your terrible opnion

It's a very well done piece of propaganda about what absolute rotters the French are and how great the King is, and excellent scaffolding to build a national myth from, but as a piece of dramatic entertainment it's about as compelling as a wet dishcloth.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I like this place, and willingly could waste my time in it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You wouldn't try to understand The Godfather by reading the script without seeing it first. See it first. Probably see it a few times; see what people cut and what they leave in. Here, have some help with that.

RSC, 2009, with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart
Peter Brook, 2002, with Adrian Lester
Kenneth Branagh, 1996, with no cuts, Kate Winslet, and numb arses all round
BBC Television Shakespeare, 1980, with John Hurt and Patrick Stewart, again
New York theatre production, 1964, with Richard Burton
Laurence Olivier, 1948, with Larry's ego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Proust is more satisfying to read, but Shakespeare did not write to be read

• Locked thread