Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I got promoted. I'm now handling all the purchasing of merchandise from vendors. Got a raise too.

Nice one 2014, trying to tickle my balls a little before you take off.
Congrats dude

Also same to all of you baby-making, vow-taking, success-havers too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat employer trying to get away with poo poo that is illegal or extremely dickish is exactly something we should get worked up about. And yes I have been on both sides so I well appreciate not being a dick works both ways. Of course employees are going to get worked up over illegal clauses or dick moves

Very well said

I ran my own contracting company for almost 4 years doing IT consulting, and I had a single experience that particularly insulted me:
I was asked by the guard at a clients office to come to my car, thinking that someone had hit the car and they had noticed, I complied.
They took me out there to ask me to open the vehicle to check for stolen equipment, and seeing as I had large equipment belonging to myself in there, I asked them how they planned to differentiate.
They planned to sieze all the devices in my car and then let it be determined by their own department. I call the cops, then my lawyer, and let them pilfer through the car on the condition that nothing would leave my sight unless something of theirs was found. They found nothing.
Next day I severed the contract and ask them not to contact me again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm bowing out of the employee search discussion because I'm spewing the same stupid reactionary strawman bullshit we try to avoid here, and as discussed the question doesn't really carry over to the UK directly.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Don't agree with Phone. The whole deal was about cars on company property. What common rights do people have to park on someone else's property?
Cornholio's question was literally do they have the right to break into cars?
The answer is no of course, but they have the right to ask for consent and if denied, then take action against employee.
If an employee doesn't like that situation it could be avoided by not parking on company property. It's a "we'll let you park here if you consent" type situation, not a "rights being violated" or cars being broken into for searches type situation.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 31, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fo3 posted:

Don't agree with Phone. The whole deal was about cars on company property. What common rights do people have to park on someone else's property?
Cornholio's question was literally do they have the right to break into cars?
The answer is no of course, but they have the right to ask for consent and if denied, then take action against employee.
If an employee doesn't like that situation it could be avoided by not parking on company property. It's a "we'll let you park here if you consent" type situation, not a "rights being violated" or cars being broken into for searches type situation.

So you don't think that the employer has an extremely advantageous hand over the employee? Really?

Technical legality aside, let's check out this exchange:
Employer: I want to search your car

YOUR OPTIONS AS AN EMPLOYEE
a) Refuse and get shitcanned
b) Allow it, self-incriminate possibly, and get shitcanned

I do like your option of not parking on company property, that's probably the best option and is completely reasonable. I mean, after all, the employee should be thankful and grateful that they even have a job!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Employer doesn't want weapons or drugs on their property. Is that unreasonable?
They may not want employees with weapons or drugs in their cars working there either, fair enough. Also people with alcohol in their cars that they mave have imbibed while going to work or over lunch breaks too.
E: The employer is just covering their own arse.
VV
It's all about liability, they can show this rule in their contract and say they had procedures in place and it's not the norm. The guy that wrecked his car 15 mins out the gate and was DWI was obviously lucky he didn't get caught by "strict company policy and searches. No idea how he was drunk on company time"

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 31, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm up to 3 beers on my lunch break honey.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Tomarse posted:

spent much of 2013 downsizing and making people redundant (and paying far above the minimum I had to for them all) and paying for it out of my own money, time and sleep (I earnt less than all the people I made redundant that year and worked much more)

I don't want to start a fight with you but I hear this too often.

If this is true year on year you are running your business and yourself into the ground and should get out of that line of work.
If you aren't counting the increased value of (or equity in) your company as a part of your remuneration you are being disingenuous.
If you just had a tight year or had to weather a competitor putting the screws to you then I honestly wish you a better next year.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I have a spare oneplus one invite. Anyone want one?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Part of my job description is responding to medical issues that may arise at my workplace - they are many and varied, as we have a large staff of all ages working in many fields, as well as general public on site. Mostly it's trip-n-falls, heatstroke/fainting, band-aid poo poo. Today I got a call regarding a medical of unknown status - I rush over there expecting an old lady not feeling well, come around a corner and find one of our groundskeepers with a 20" long 1/4"steel surveyor's flag/stake embedded in his eye socket. It was sticking straight out like a damned cartoon eye laser beam.

loving hell. Thank ye gods paramedics were close by, because that's waaay outside of my CPR/AED/First Responder cert. I have to give the dude mad credit because he was calm as poo poo and didn't yank it out in reflex. He just sat there calmly holding it to keep it from wobbling. EMS said it seemed to have just missed his eyeball and he seemed much too lucid for it to have gone deep enough to hit brain so he's a lucky fucker.

:pwn::pwn::pwn::pwn:

I get to use this now, with one day left!!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Working for the state, I get a small raise every year for the first six years. My anniversary date was November 13th but I won't see it until April because reasons. So meh to you, 2014.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Day 2 of no heat, I come in and it's about 50 degrees in the warmest part of the house. Found additional spaceheaters and closed off rooms that are both not being used and contain no pipes in the walls. I'm concerned about breakage, but by running the oven, the kettle, and the iron cause why not, it's almost up to livable levels. Plumber is coming tomorrow to hopefully replace the Thermocouple and get us back up and running here.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bibendum posted:

I don't want to start a fight with you but I hear this too often.

If this is true year on year you are running your business and yourself into the ground and should get out of that line of work.
If you aren't counting the increased value of (or equity in) your company as a part of your remuneration you are being disingenuous.
If you just had a tight year or had to weather a competitor putting the screws to you then I honestly wish you a better next year.

The difference here is that in America the company would never be liable for anything while in Australia it would be more reasonable because they actually regulate businesses compared to the US

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I always go out first in poker. Every single time. :smithicide:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Stop trying to be the river king and stop betting on 2-7.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I just dropped ~$500 on replacing the entire ignition system and new fluids for my e30 and I notice while I'm driving to work to do some emergency inspection poo poo that I have a rock chip in my windshield that is starting to spider

2014 gotta get one last kick in lol

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I got this as a late Christmas present, 2014 aint so bad anymore!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
/\/\/\
Nice and a 190 at that!

Rhyno posted:

I got promoted. I'm now handling all the purchasing of merchandise from vendors. Got a raise too.

Nice one 2014, trying to tickle my balls a little before you take off.

Congrats man, that's awesome news! It's always nice when someone tells you good job, it's even nicer when they give you more money too :)

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 243 days!)

I took the Ferd out. I made it there and back, only having to second guess merging about 3 times a second before acting. The seats are comfy, and the SID-like abilities are pretty nice to have. Made 16.5 MPG on the trip. Not too drat bad considering I had two fatties, appliances, and plenty of storage space. God help me if I need to use this for a multi-state trip, though. I'll end up bald, and won't even bother trying to hit the speed limit by the time I'm through.

E: I had to fill it with $16.00 worth of fuel to top it off for over 120 miles of driving. It may be a slow fucker, but at least it is semi-economical.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Come home from work, both bathtubs have 4" of water in them and both toilets have overflowed. The carpet is wet in half the house.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just flicked over midnight here so I'll be the first to say it - happy 2015 all may it be a better year for everyone (unless of course your 2014 was awesome in which case may 2015 be equally great)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh poo poo i am drunk a day earlyh whoops sorry everyone my bad

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Cant sat 2014 has been all bad - a few things really did work out. But anyway, at present burning the place down with burnt offerings for a great 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_9cyaC4m0M

Happy New Year to you all and I hope there's no need for a fuck2015.gif for anyone

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Happy new years from the future!

That is a lovely picture of the fireworks from the skycity tower in auckland. Here is hoping that 2015 is a better year for everyone.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Happy 2015 everyone. Hopefully this is the year we finally get our new house, only been waiting nearly 4 years for it now... Think we may have crossed the line into being dicks tonight. Mate has the same generation cruiser as me, we threatened to steal his wheel nuts if he bailed out of New Years early to drive to his girlfriends. I just dropped two wheel nuts off my rear wheel carrier into his hands and wished him a happy new year and now he's left in a huff!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So at 3am on the 31st of December I decide I don't want to be with my girlfriend anymore. Cue an 8 hour round trip in freezing conditions to drop her home.

I have no idea what I've done or what I'm doing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

88h88 posted:

So at 3am on the 31st of December I decide I don't want to be with my girlfriend anymore. Cue an 8 hour round trip in freezing conditions to drop her home.

:ohdear:

Good luck with that. Was she horrible?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

88h88 posted:

Emotional difficulties aside I have to commend you on your iron will.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

:ohdear:

Good luck with that. Was she horrible?

It was an amazingly awkward drive and I still haven't slept. We're talking now though and we've agreed to meet up in a week or so to let poo poo settle. I need to learn how to phrase things better, I have a barbed tongue at times which doesn't help in situations like this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

88h88 posted:

It was an amazingly awkward drive and I still haven't slept. We're talking now though and we've agreed to meet up in a week or so to let poo poo settle. I need to learn how to phrase things better, I have a barbed tongue at times which doesn't help in situations like this.

Every time I hear "about a week" in a breakup story, it makes me think of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycCRTl-_aCE

Seems like that's a common theme in breakups. Just gimme a week...

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Ferremit posted:

Happy 2015 everyone. Hopefully this is the year we finally get our new house, only been waiting nearly 4 years for it now... Think we may have crossed the line into being dicks tonight. Mate has the same generation cruiser as me, we threatened to steal his wheel nuts if he bailed out of New Years early to drive to his girlfriends. I just dropped two wheel nuts off my rear wheel carrier into his hands and wished him a happy new year and now he's left in a huff!

No, that's just hilarious. You didn't even do anything to his vehicle! Perfect.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah that is a prank I am gonna have to remember :haw:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cat Terrist posted:

Cant sat 2014 has been all bad - a few things really did work out. But anyway, at present burning the place down with burnt offerings for a great 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_9cyaC4m0M

Happy New Year to you all and I hope there's no need for a fuck2015.gif for anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-al0xSFJo

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

loving hate being sick. Woke up wth a headache that hurt 10x as much whenever I cough.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
HaHa, yeah I loved that series. But yeah, we don't eat lamb much unless it's late at night in the city and have been drinking, then we go to a kebab\gyros\shawarma shop.
Lamb farmers and meat wholesalers/corp have used the line "You aren't Australian unless you cook lamb" line to make us buy lamb to cook for Australia day. It's funny and We laugh along with it, but lamb is as aussie as a kebab/shawarma/gyros or a lamb korma or lamb tagine is.

We're pretty much beef country (and throw on a kangaroo fillet if you feel so inclined). Beef BBQ, beef sausage, beef pie, beef mince. Chicken and seafood obviously too. Lamb comes last, after pork.

Edit:
2014 just needs to be over, stick a skewer in it like you would a doner (and this thread), it's done.
Good news is I got my money back from that health insurance company. I Don't know if it was them or the bank, and got some money from Cl, so all I need to do is hang on until Drs come back from holidays I guess.
Might be able to still pay registration on my car too (without extra costs of it having to be relicenced)

Happy new year, gently caress 2014.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 31, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

88h88 posted:

Wow big move. Hope it's for the best and you move right along.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I spent a whole $16.00 topping off the Ferd after about 200 miles yesterday. It may be a gutless turd*, but it still averages over 16mpg..

* As requested by Ozzymander.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Should call it the furd then.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Buddy of mine just ordered a Hellcat, dunno what color yet though. It'll be fun to check out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fo3 posted:

Should call it the furd then.

Doesn't quite match up with Yankee accents.

• Locked thread