Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'd probably lean towards simplifying the cards instead of making the deck more complex, and having the complexity come from your character (eg, hits fill boxes on your sheet, which has an effect. The effect is determined by your character class or something else unique to you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Myself, I'd skip the damage altoghether. I'd do something like a track of 3-5 wounds, with every hit hurting the same and you being knocked out once you have no more boxes to fill. The difference from simply having 3-5 HPs would be that each wound would come with some sort of debuff - decided by cards, dice, Apocalypse World-style list, whatever - that steals all the focus of damage-taking. So it's not as much HP-counting as "ok, you took an arrow to the knee, guess you can't run and jump until you've healed". Basically making the act of getting hurt an event into itself.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
So basically FATE consequences?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, just a bit more restrictive and fine-tuned for a proper feel I feel like evoking.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

Gygax was basically just making poo poo up on the spot though, he wasn't really sitting down and concerning himself with things like unified task resolution. Saving throws were basically "ugh fine, even though the medusa should totally just petrify you I'll let you roll a die and if you roll the right number then it won't," which then got codified as a standard thing probably because the other players present suddenly all wanted the same consideration.

Also Gygax was an inelegant a designer as you could imagine, where if somebody came up with a ruling, he just threw it into the game, which is why early versions of Dungeons & Dragons and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons are such an incoherent mess. (Which isn't just hindsight or from the perspective of modern design, people like Greg Stafford or Ken St. Andre said as much at the time.) AD&D itself didn't even start to be properly organized as a rules set until after Gygax left the picture with 2e.

It's a testament to the strength of the role-playing concept that it thrived despite AD&D being a practically unreadable mess, as the grand majority of people played it ran it based on fan interpretations of the rules rather than the actual rules. Gygax and Arneson certainly deserve the credit due, and it's not as if Gygax didn't make some powerful ideas, but his game design mostly consisted of throwing things at a wall and seeing what stuck. Some things became powerful pillars of game design (XP, classes, levels), and many more did not (class level limits by race, weapon AC modifiers, random psionics), but Gygax was never that strong a designer, as evidenced by his inability to design a successful game after AD&D.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lichtenstein posted:

Myself, I'd skip the damage altoghether. I'd do something like a track of 3-5 wounds, with every hit hurting the same and you being knocked out once you have no more boxes to fill. The difference from simply having 3-5 HPs would be that each wound would come with some sort of debuff - decided by cards, dice, Apocalypse World-style list, whatever - that steals all the focus of damage-taking. So it's not as much HP-counting as "ok, you took an arrow to the knee, guess you can't run and jump until you've healed". Basically making the act of getting hurt an event into itself.

The alternate AW harm rules are pretty boss, IMO, but if you want something a bit more formal the standard clock works well too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I can kind of understand the reasoning behind saving throws working the way they do mechanics-wise, other than the whole "half-damage on a save" bullshit. If D&D wasn't so ludicrously tied to its archaic binary pass/fail systems it would be trivial to add a third case - full damage on a miss, half damage on a save that beats the DC by less than 5, no damage on a save that beats the DC by 5 or more and gives the defender an additional effect to reflect it (e.g. a Dex save against a fire spell could have you instantly rolling out of range and leave you prone, you take the brunt of a cold spell to your clothes/armor so you don't take damage but have 5ft less movement next turn, that kind of thing.)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ryoshi posted:

I can kind of understand the reasoning behind saving throws working the way they do mechanics-wise, other than the whole "half-damage on a save" bullshit. If D&D wasn't so ludicrously tied to its archaic binary pass/fail systems it would be trivial to add a third case - full damage on a miss, half damage on a save that beats the DC by less than 5, no damage on a save that beats the DC by 5 or more and gives the defender an additional effect to reflect it (e.g. a Dex save against a fire spell could have you instantly rolling out of range and leave you prone, you take the brunt of a cold spell to your clothes/armor so you don't take damage but have 5ft less movement next turn, that kind of thing.)

half-damage on a miss is because casters can't suck for any reason, hth

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know you're joking about CASTER SUPREMACY, the apparent cornerstone of "real" D&D, but that's just it: if you shoot a spell and the target manages to save against it, that doesn't actually mean the wizard sucks, it means that they sent the target scrambling and they barely got through unscathed. The fact that the target makes the save (rather than making the wizard make a roll and miss) means that the wizard is still getting to be Super Wizard, the target just got particularly lucky.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Remember the whole shitstorm that started because of 'hit-on-a-miss' on martial classes? Good times.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ryoshi posted:

I know you're joking about CASTER SUPREMACY, the apparent cornerstone of "real" D&D, but that's just it: if you shoot a spell and the target manages to save against it, that doesn't actually mean the wizard sucks, it means that they sent the target scrambling and they barely got through unscathed. The fact that the target makes the save (rather than making the wizard make a roll and miss) means that the wizard is still getting to be Super Wizard, the target just got particularly lucky.

I wasn't joking

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
I've recently started playing in a 7th Sea game. As far as I know the system's mostly about being flambouyant and cinematic and piratey, but does anyone have any particular words of wisdom to share about it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah. Sorcery sucks. Swordsman schools either suck or are broken, depending heavily on the school. One of the most effective things to do is to invest solely in basic hitting people skills. Panache and Finesse, together, are better than most any other stat. Panache is the best of the lot, though, with its extra actions.

Oh, and be careful about spending Drama Dice because they are your XP.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone talk to me about the game design behind "saving throws" and defending against spells in general for D&D-esque games?

I understand that some sort of chance to resist a debilitating effect is necessary, since such things tend to be more powerful than raw damage. I also understand that there's some sort of expectation built around (direct damage) spells being defended against by a stat that's NOT Armor Class.

What I'm not quite getting is "a successful save causes half damage, a failed save causes full damage", apart from simply being the way that such a thing has always been done.
Will it make you feel better or worse to know (if you do not already) that "saving throws" and "armor class" both predate Dungeons & Dragons by decades?

I know the former was from Tony Bath's 1958? wargaming rules; the concept was created to add further delineation between "all of the units in this stack are killed" and "none of the units in this stack are killed." If you "saved" then you consulted the chart and your unit shrank in size instead.

The concept of "armor class" is, if I recall correctly, basically a direct lift from the 1940s "Fletcher Pratt's Naval Wargame," based on the influential Jane's Ships guides started in the late 1800s, and the latter's obsession with chronicling every possible minutiae about the fighting capabilities of vessels. Sort of appropriate.

Yes, I do still sleep with Jon Peterson's "Playing at the World" by my bedside, as you can tell.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

but Gygax was never that strong a designer, as evidenced by his inability to design a successful game after AD&D.
I am only a minor Gygax apologist (really I am just a general apologist), but I know a fair number of people thought Dangerous Journeys had a lot of great ideas ...even if, well, it was apparently even more complicated than AD&D, unsurprisingly. Though I suppose that would speak to his strength as an Idea Man rather than an actual designer, now that I type it out. Certainly I do not know many people who spoke praise of Lejendary Adventure. And certainly nobody liked Cyborg Commando.

For the time, I believe his actual-wargames were fairly well-received? Though that is pre-D&D for the most (entire?) part.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I feel the need to tell more people that I made a Maid class for Dungeon World. The good (?) news is that I'm starting some freelance work so I'll have less time to put into increasingly weird little RPG things.

Quarex posted:

I am only a minor Gygax apologist (really I am just a general apologist), but I know a fair number of people thought Dangerous Journeys had a lot of great ideas ...even if, well, it was apparently even more complicated than AD&D, unsurprisingly. Though I suppose that would speak to his strength as an Idea Man rather than an actual designer, now that I type it out. Certainly I do not know many people who spoke praise of Lejendary Adventure. And certainly nobody liked Cyborg Commando.

For the time, I believe his actual-wargames were fairly well-received? Though that is pre-D&D for the most (entire?) part.
To me the thing with big Gygax is that he was bad at figuring out what to write down and how. The original D&D game that he published was simply not playable per se as written, but by all accounts he was a pretty amazing DM, and not just by virtue of having been one of the first to ever attempt to do such a thing. Some parts of OD&D are incredibly fine-tuned, but virtually no part of it is well-explained, hence we have people repeating the general patterns he established even while making changes that make those old patterns obsolete or actively harmful.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah. Sorcery sucks. Swordsman schools either suck or are broken, depending heavily on the school. One of the most effective things to do is to invest solely in basic hitting people skills. Panache and Finesse, together, are better than most any other stat. Panache is the best of the lot, though, with its extra actions.

Oh, and be careful about spending Drama Dice because they are your XP.

The best houserule you can make for 7th sea is to just rule that 'if you spend a drama die on other things it converts immediately to XP' so you don't have to choose between "Can swash bucklers" and "Can improve stats"

And even then it's not great.

...Come to think of it, -is- there a good piratey/swashbucklery RPG that's actually out yet?

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 4, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

The best houserule you can make for 7th sea is to just rule that 'if you spend a drama die on other things it converts immediately to XP' so you don't have to choose between "Can swash bucklers" and "Can improve stats"

Hm. I wonder how a game where your drama dice/points/whatever were XP, but you had to spend them as the dice/point/whatever in order to convert them into XP would work.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

unseenlibrarian posted:

...Come to think of it, -is- there a good piratey/swashbucklery RPG that's actually out yet?

I'm a big fan of Honor + Intrigue

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zereth posted:

Hm. I wonder how a game where your drama dice/points/whatever were XP, but you had to spend them as the dice/point/whatever in order to convert them into XP would work.

That sounds like a great version of the mechanic, honestly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies is pretty good for the sort of thing the title suggests if you like A). the PDQ system and B). airships.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Holy poo poo that site design.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Zereth posted:

Torchbearer does exactly this. You are required to have spent at least X persona and Y fate points to level - there are two spaces on the sheet, one for points available and one for points spent.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

xiw posted:

Torchbearer does exactly this. You are required to have spent at least X persona and Y fate points to level - there are two spaces on the sheet, one for points available and one for points spent.

Also, Old School Hack, a neat little indie hack and slasher, has this to an extent: the fame's big metagame currency is Awesome Points, which are awarded to you by the rest of the group for pulling awesome stunts, saying just the right cheesy line and so on. You can spend them on various thing, like bumping your damage up, recharging your daily and per arena powers on the fly and so on, and whenever you do you get an experience point. Once all the members of the group have spent enough Awesome Points they all gain a level together.

It's a neat system: the players have a pool of Awesome Points from which they can reward each other, but said pool also acts as a way for the GM to add to the challenge. The GM has a number of things they can do by adding more points into the bowl, such as calling reinforcements and giving monsters nastier abilities or damage. Also, once players realize they all have to do awesome things for the group to level up they start encouraging each other to pull crazier and crazier stunts. Things tend to go pretty mental whenever I run it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies is pretty good for the sort of thing the title suggests if you like A). the PDQ system and B). airships.

Seconded. Also pretty easy to strip out the airships and run it in a more boring setting if you want it to be an actual age of sail thing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Quarex posted:

Will it make you feel better or worse to know (if you do not already) that "saving throws" and "armor class" both predate Dungeons & Dragons by decades?

I know the former was from Tony Bath's 1958? wargaming rules; the concept was created to add further delineation between "all of the units in this stack are killed" and "none of the units in this stack are killed." If you "saved" then you consulted the chart and your unit shrank in size instead.

The concept of "armor class" is, if I recall correctly, basically a direct lift from the 1940s "Fletcher Pratt's Naval Wargame," based on the influential Jane's Ships guides started in the late 1800s, and the latter's obsession with chronicling every possible minutiae about the fighting capabilities of vessels. Sort of appropriate.

Yes, I do still sleep with Jon Peterson's "Playing at the World" by my bedside, as you can tell.

If I recall the whole "HP" thing also came from the same naval wargame, which is why combat in D&D - and combat in almost every other ttg since because this hobby is little more then copy the leader followed by TRADITION! - is more or less two sides broadsiding each other and seeing who survives the volley.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

DigitalRaven posted:

Seconded. Also pretty easy to strip out the airships and run it in a more boring setting if you want it to be an actual age of sail thing.

Or just use the free PDQ# rules that are already airship-free. The duelling rules are really quite elegant and genre appropriate.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Tulpa posted:

Or just use the free PDQ# rules that are already airship-free. The duelling rules are really quite elegant and genre appropriate.

The airship rules themselves actually still work extremely well for ship-to-ship combat (air or not). In fact, it's generally a decent way to handle any sort of mass combat.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ProfessorCirno posted:

If I recall the whole "HP" thing also came from the same naval wargame, which is why combat in D&D - and combat in almost every other ttg since because this hobby is little more then copy the leader followed by TRADITION! - is more or less two sides broadsiding each other and seeing who survives the volley.

I know GURPS doesn't do init like this, but lol if you play systems with init rules anyway

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I do recall reading somewhere that armor class was descending because as it was derived from naval wargaming, it was a measure of rank. That is, an armor class of 1 meant "first-class, top-quality" armor.

Also, THAC0 was purely a fan-made invention from people that didn't want to work with a matrix/write down the to-hit number for multiple sets of armor classes. D&D just ran with it in later editions. One wonders what might have happened if people thought of "Target 20" first/instead.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, THAC0 was purely a fan-made invention from people that didn't want to work with a matrix/write down the to-hit number for multiple sets of armor classes. D&D just ran with it in later editions. One wonders what might have happened if people thought of "Target 20" first/instead.

It was absolutely a fan-invention.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Whoa, I had no idea about this but when I read it it makes total sense. Thanks!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do recall reading somewhere that armor class was descending because as it was derived from naval wargaming, it was a measure of rank. That is, an armor class of 1 meant "first-class, top-quality" armor.
I always thought it was a reference to gauge thickness where smaller numbers mean thicker plates.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

unseenlibrarian posted:

Actually the best houserule for 7th Sea is All Aliens All The Time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

7th Sea just needed a mechanic where you randomly roll up a secret society and assign it to the players but they don't know. Five years into a campaign, you are finally allowed to inform your players they were *rolls* crab-men from *rolls* the moon and have a plan to *rolls* destroy all freedom through *rolls* a photonic virus.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

7th Sea just needed a mechanic where you randomly roll up a secret society and assign it to the players but they don't know. Five years into a campaign, you are finally allowed to inform your players they were *rolls* crab-men from *rolls* the moon and have a plan to *rolls* destroy all freedom through *rolls* a photonic virus.
Every game should have some "roll up a secret society" charts. Someone make this, I need some more crazy poo poo for my Mage game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yawgmoth posted:

Every game should have some "roll up a secret society" charts. Someone make this, I need some more crazy poo poo for my Mage game.

Toolcards: Cults

30 double-sided cards with various cultic themes, names and aims. Shuffle, flip, cut, draw, mix and match.

I love the whole series for GMing Dungeon World. My improv needs a few seeds.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Isn't that actually the Metaplot, though?

I have such a chip on my shoulder about 7th Sea's metaplot because I was in a 7th Sea campaign that was pretty awesome right up until the GM bought all the books, excited, and decided he would follow the goddamn metaplot to the letter and killed the game right quick by doing it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I am legit curious to know if anyone out there played in a 7th Sea game where the big metaplot reveal came into play and it was greeted as a positive addition. Someone out there had that happen and thought it was the most amazing goddamn thing and I want to hear that person's story.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I really enjoyed reading the metaplot, but I played 7th Sea for maybe a year and ran it for two more and it remained entirely irrelevant the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Which big metaplot reveal? Cause there were like...30. Though the worst was "By the way except for two schools every PC-facing variety of magic is slowly destroying the world, but especially this one"

• Locked thread