Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
The only time I've played a "stat up yourselves" game, the premise was "you have to kill everyone else in the room right now" and it was a blast. I think I got one kill and one grievous, life-threatening wounding before being gutted with broken window glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Just so I'm clear, I should go camping so next time I stat myself up in an RPG, I have a camping skill?

There are dumber reasons to go camping I suppose.

Everyone should go camping, it's really fun.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Covok posted:

Was talking with my friends on skype about games that take one fantasy archetype and make a whole game based around it. Like Ars Magica with wizards and Pendragon with knights. We couldn't, however, think of one for thieves. Anyone know if there are any for thieves?

I'm actually writing an apocalypse world hack about being a gang of fantasy thieves in a fantasy metropolis. The tone I'm going for is somewhere between GTA: Ankh-Morpork, Hotline New Crobuzon and The Wire: Baldur's Gate Edition.

As far as games that actually exist about thieves, Johnstone Mentzger did a couple: Thieves Can Too, Motherfucker! and Den of Thieves. Den of Thieves is super interesting and uses a deck of cards for both worldgen and resolution mechanics. I'd love to sit down and actually play it at some point. Finally, Hollowpoint could easily run "ultra-competent, merciless fantasy thieves" with some mild reskinning.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Alright. I already own 3E, is 2E considered better or should I just stick with my field guide to the powers?

2nd Ed had much better written (if you like/can read Jenna Moran) fluff but the rules were waaaay worse. It also provided a lot of setting detail that was sadly left out of 3rd Ed. Stuff like the symbols each Nobilis wear to represent their ranks in Domain. It's definitely worth a read if you're going to run 3rd Ed just so you can inject more flavour into the setting and flesh things out a bit, although it's not necessary if you've got high enough levels in Avatar: Jenna Moran and can channel her prose.

Edit: Also Flower Rites. Those were pimp.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

The Supreme Court posted:

This sounds brilliant! Are you looking for any advice/ playtesting? I'd love to help.

As with all three of my projects, both of those things once it's more than some disjointed notes. I'll post some stuff in the apocworld thread. The two main selling points are HP as a stealth metre (taking damage being getting closer to being caught) and inventory as a bunch of slots on your character sheet that you slot things into like it was a CRPG. Wearing clothes with more pockets lets you carry more stuff, but weight is negative armor. It's a balancing act.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

poo poo wait I'm actually going to take that back about Dungeon World. Last time I played we set it up for kinda silly (He Who Thirsts Below is going to drink the concept of booze and leave the world forever sober) and it ended up actually being pretty heroic and tense. Thinking about it, every time I play DW it ends up pretty heroic and tense, regardless of the seriousness of the actual plot.

e: Slightly related, my absolute favorite thing about DW is watching someone who hasn't played, but has played lots of D&D, realising that you can Defy Danger more or less however you like. The most memorable example I can think of is the player of the druid (in bear form) realising that he can narrate arrows just sticking harmlessly in his fur (DD:con) while he mauls goblins instead of saying "I dodge". I've never seen that guy grin so much.

It's so good watching players new to Dungeon World realise that they don't have to dodge. The smug satisfaction in someone I introduced to Dungeon World's voice when I was like "so the arrows fly towards you, what do you do?" and their response was "I am The Paladin. I am clad in steel. I ignore them" was thrilling to witness. Defy Danger STR and CON to bulldoze through attacks is incredibly satisfying.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

FMguru posted:

"you guys are ambitious would-be criminals just arrived in a city where powerful mafias have already divided up all the territory and rackets and don't like outsiders, what do you do?".

No lie, that's a really good campaign concept in the right hands.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Isn't there some older game called Platoon or something which is just War: The RPG? Apart from that, The Regiment is a pretty cool rules-lite war simulator, and it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Reminder that when 4e was released, the wizard was slightly unfinished because, during development, some people in the dev team kept buffing them to be intentionally more powerful then every other class, so they had to revise the wizard constantly to fight against it.

Do you have a source for this? Because that's pretty damning if true.

• Locked thread