Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So you want to be some random loser in a sci-fi universe/game and you love random tables? :v: Then I would recommend Midlife Crisis: In Spaceships, aka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Covok posted:

I don't own AFMBE. Is it any good? Is it that one where you stat yourself?

I haven't read my copy in years so I can't remember much of the rules but AFMBE is great. Its also perfectly capable of stating yourself but not expected or required. And I can easily believe it does necromorphs well since it has a great "zombie customization" system that can create all sorts of undead nasties. Creative use can create other kinds of monsters too.

And yeah it had a sci-fi supplement.

I should reread it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I once tried to stat myself in AFMBE... I had to exaggerate quite a few of my skills to meet the points buy limit even for a "Norm", nevermind getting close to "Survivor" level. :sigh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No, you are not required to stat yourself in AFMBE.

Night10194 posted:

Part of it is also that if you're being honest, a stat yourself game doesn't leave you with a lot of PCs with skills relevant to having crazy adventures, often. Like, I'd have terrible physical stats, arthritis, only the vaguest familiarity with weapons, etc and just be good at studying biblical texts and history, which really doesn't have much applicability in 'Let us fight the zombies'. Norms in AFMBE already do a good job of simulating a relatively believable, mostly average, but slightly above average/promising protagonist for a lower power zombie horror adventure as is.

Yup, when I did stat myself in AFMBE a few years ago, I had to really stretch on some things and blow a lot of points in useless skills (Like History and bowling) and stuff like "well, I've taken gun safety courses and have handled and fired hunting rifles and pistols at gun ranges a few times, I GUESS I qualify for first skill level in handguns and rifles..."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah Norms seemed more appealing to me when I was reading AFMBE because of how limited they are. Just not quite good enough to feel comfortable or safe, but capable enough to feel like you've got a chance.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah, that is another silly thing I love about All Flesh Must Be Eaten, the name. In this modern day oversaturation of zombie games/movies/whatever its name actually manages to stick out. Compared to:

Dawn of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Dead State
State of Decay
Dead Walking
Dead Rising
Shaun of the Dead
Outbreak: Undead
Evil Dead
Day of the Dead
Dead Snow
Left for Dead
Dead Island

Etc etc.

I dunno, I know there are other zombie things with standout names (ED: 28 Days Later), but holy crap most of them all just blur together.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The real trick is to go full escapist fantasy. Stat some cool hero types. At the start of the game, you play yourselves. Then A Thing Happens and you become those cool hero types (while still also being yourselves).

And then that one annoying kid decides you've all got to go back to your lovely normal lives. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is what Dead Walking was meant to be (though Dead Walking is probably something too), but I screwed up. :v: And yeah I guess Evil dead isn't really a zombie movie, I was just trying to remember as many movies/games/etc with "dead" in it as I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Hey now, Traveller is a lot of fun with the right group.

Yeah, but the fun part of Traveller trading is when your speculative trade goods turn out to be worthless at your destination and oh gently caress the ship's mortgage payment is due basically now and where are we gonna get that loving money from!?

• Locked thread