Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
There is also a significant gulf between 'interesting, life-enriching experiences' and 'skills that would be useful if I were a character in an RPG'. I have plenty of hobbies, but I still wouldn't want to play myself in a zombie apocalypse game because I don't consider 'knows how to blow a zombie's head off' or 'can identify all edible mushrooms' to be valuable life skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Zurui posted:

How is it any less "you"?

I don't think tabletop role playing games are ready for this sort of ontological nightmare.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

If I woke up tomorrow with superpowers, I'd still be me.

Would you really, though?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Covok posted:

What are my chances in a zombie apocalypse?

Pretty good, because zombies aren't real

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Part of successful role playing is understanding the flaws (of personality and skill) of one's character and representing them candidly and earnestly; it really shouldn't be that hard, then, to understand why some might not want to role play themselves, or might feel that they aren't up to the task. Real self-appraisal takes a lot of time.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

The Great White Book is Nobilis 2e, so I assume they're talking about their... difficulties with Guardians of Order, the original publisher.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Plague of Hats posted:

There is a serious tone and mysticism to the GWB that I value and love. However, the GWB is an excellent piece of art, while I think the Field Guide is in every way a superior game.

Yeah, basically this. I would love a Nobilis that mixed the tone of 2e with the (much) superior gameplay of 3e.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I think that all of 3E was under Eos, not GoO (the tracing stuff was an early 3E issue, unless I'm misremembering something from 2E). The GoO stuff was like (as far as I remember) them basically making off with the money.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Any * World game.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

if you're not playing a Binder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Given that the existence of magic and wizards has essentially no impact on the functioning of society in RPGs, hoping for darkvision to affect worldbuilding is perhaps a bit optimistic.

• Locked thread