Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'm kind of curious, actually--for those games that have established settings, at what points does the setting go from "establishing setting details" to "establishing a dumb metaplot"? Like, for the Legend of Five Rings thing, I'd imagine you'd need at least some setting details about clans and emperors and such, and for weirder settings like Shadowrun you'd probably need even more pre-existing detail, but is there some point where the detail just collapses into an obvious metaplot, or does it very from (good) writer to (bad) writer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Is there any sort of setting where "play as yourself!" could work well? I mean, zombies and aliens are probably bad at it, but would something like Golden Sky Stories or Do: Monks of the Flying Temple adapt well to that sort of play? Games where you could ask something like "here's a fantastic problem, how would you use what you yourself know to solve it," I mean.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Not to confirm AmiYumi's sentiments, but the only possible way I see myself playing myself and not turning out soul-crushingly badly is by playing games based on either FFTA (as Professor Cirno suggests) or Log Horizon/Sword Art Online/.hack, and they all have some rather "...erm..." issues. Guess it's sticking to prettyboys who are nothing like me, then! :v:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Zurui posted:

ProfessorCirno made the reply I would have. It's a grown-up version of play pretend, just like every other RPG experience. "What would life be like if I was in an awesome fictional situation?" is an interesting diversion. Obsessing over stats in that scenario is so weird.

If you really can't imagine a world where you're in shape, have useful skills, and can go on an adventure, then I don't know. That makes me really sad. I think everyone could contribute something. Also, part of the fun could be gaining those skills! Failure is at least as interesting as success, after all. Having a family to take care of or a regular life to maintain sounds like an awesome roleplaying opportunity.

I think it's more that it's easy to do that sort of thing when the character you make is completely separate from you. A character concept that's explicitly "like me but with all these fancy abilities" is probably going to fall into the adolescent power fantasy trap and become something that would be roundly mocked on other parts of Something Awful or this subforum.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

You might in fact be a hideous insect.

Or a butterfly dreaming that it's a human.

Or a brain in a jar.

Or the mouthy athletic manifestation of some weird gestalt Zanar-- :commissar:

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think that's the big disconnect. If I woke up tomorrow with superpowers, I'd still be me. I'd just be a me that can also fly.

If I woke up tomorrow and found myself suddenly as an action hero, I'd still be me, just a me that's way better at certain things.

When I work out, I don't become another person!

The disconnect is the idea that I'd suddenly have this totally different personality. Which is the opposite of what I'm saying! Why on earth would I suddenly have this totally different personality?

Let me put it this way. It's no secret--a lot of my characters are prettyboys. I try my best to take them in different directions, but odds are they're at least a little attractive. Everybody makes light of it and I laugh along with it too. No great harm.

Now imagine you have a campaign that goes "a gooey kablooie gives you-yourself superpowers, what do you wake up with?" and I said "inhuman ethereal beauty and glamour." That's a recipe for a Worst TTRPG Experience at best and would probably reveal actual depressive/control mental issues at worst. Either way it would get me roundly laughed at as one of those delusional sorts who thinks he's in an anime and make an absolute firestorm of accusations as to what particular mental disorder I've got.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Man, gently caress this team rocket bullshit.

A party of a collector and breeder, a trainer, a poke-scientist, and a poke-fashion consultant go on a quest to find the shiny Nosepass and save Puce Town from the rampaging herd of Zigzagoons (what could be causing their strange behaviour?), all while winning first prize at the pageant! Is it juvenile? Sure, but you can't tell me that pretending to be a magical nerd, a roided up moron, and a criminal beating up skeletons and saving the world is the height of grown-up behaviour.

That actually sounds like "Ash's sidekicks from the anime all get together to get their own series". Which sounds pretty neato.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Quarex posted:

You would think this means it would be the easiest thing to do it right ... using BAYESIAN INFERENCE you start with the numbers/dots/donuts that you want characters to use to represent their innate characteristics/abilities/knowledges/brainpool/arm-movement/whatever, then you start playing the game, and when you discover your numbers make it impossible for an average person to do things that average people do all the time, you either raise the "average" number or change how the system works. Then you repeat until something makes sense.

But then again, as ProfessorCirno basically just said, "or you could not try to have them unnecessarily try to mirror to real life in the first place and solve that problem."

Isn't that sort of playtesting what you do even if your game system is as "not-simulationist" as it can possibly be?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

One of the Pathfinder adventure paths has this; whatever the bad guy's plan was, it centered around casting a spell from a scroll with a Use Magic Device check (or something, I don't remember the details). If you were thinking "how loving groggy a GM would you have to be to actually make that roll straight", well, it's written right there into the "villain tactics" section what to do when your bad guy stands up, makes his "JUST AS PLANNED" speech, then nothing happens and he awkwardly shuffles out of the room, never to be seen again.

Making the villain much less competent than they imagine themselves to be sounds like a nice way to put a bit of levity into the game. Although they should probably still get beaten down at the end, and that should probably be something decided instead of rolled by random chance.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's one company that's put out a whole line of Fate shovelware. They basically take the OGL, staple 10 to 15 pages of half-assed setting onto it, then charges $15 for the drat thing.

This is the beginning of every one of their games. This is page 3, after page 1 being the cover and page 2 being the TOC/credits. This is from "Steampunk Powered By Fate" but every opening is pretty much this with the genre tags swapped out:

I don't think I've ever seen a phrase that gets you into the designers' mindset better than "Combining two names with a meaning can provide an interesting name, such as Darkraven, from dark and raven."

They've got a dozen or so of these products, which isn't surprising since they probably took about half an hour each to write.

If Fate has an OGL, and Fate Accelerated is free, then how are they still in business? That all sounds very...generic.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

That seems a bit...out of genre. Is that good or bad that it exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

So I've been reading Salem's Lot and playing Payday 2. Thinking of running a Night's Black Agents game where the PCs are a crew of professional thieves hired to steal a super rare antique from this dealer in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Once they steal the antique, they find out the dealer (and most of the town) are vampires. The person that hired them knew this and wanted to pit the crew vs the vampires because she thinks they'll succeed where a group of candy rear end priests, writers, and cops wouldn't stand a chance against the undead.

What's the antique?

What's special about these vampires?

Why can't the crew cut their losses and run?

All of those questions are going to vary depending on your vampires. I might do something like:

The antique is a royal seal from a house long lost to history. It's important to the vampires for a much more utilitarian reason--the material its made of is somehow a necessary catalyst for infecting people and turning them into vampires. And the reason the crew can't get out can be the same reason Sergeant Howie can't leave in The Wicker Man--the place is an island and their boat/seaplane has been busted. Or maybe the vampires are working a storm at some arcane site in town. The vampires themselves you'll have to make yourself. Considering the isolation themes, it's up to you whether you want to go physical horror and have the vampires in direct control of the town with all manner of vicious beasties, or go more Mirror Mode and say that the town has been subverted at its core, so that its nominally human inhabitants report to their vampire sires on the crew.

• Locked thread