Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Has anyone looked at Outbreak: Deep Space yet? We just got it in the store, and at first glance it looks like they're trying to be the Dead Space RPG. Just in time for, uh, Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think I might 'borrow' that copy before it goes on the shelf and give it a read.

Quick story: One of the devs (or someone involved in the game, anyway, wasn't too clear) came into the store to pitch the game to us. While we were yammering about rpgs in general, the conversation drifted to the upcoming FFG apocalypse quadrology, and I commented on how they're going to be 'stat yourself in the apocalypse!!!' games, which is like babby's first heartbreaker game pitch. He gave me a dead stare, and started talking about the game he's working on currently, where you stat up yourself in the apocalypse...

Awkward...

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What is the system they use like? Why wouldn't I just use a generic system because the premises are pretty generic?

Who, FFG, or the Outbreak guys?

Well, the answer in both cases is 'I dunno', since FFG's games aren't nearly out yet, and I'm still at work so I haven't snuck Outbreak home with me yet. Their previous game, Outbreak: Undead, was a pretty standard d100 system, if that helps any.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've been flipping through Outbreak, and so far... well. The layout is awful. Text bleeds into the margin art. Character creation is completely nonsense. Honestly, this book is reading like a collection of someone's design notes, arranged vaguely into categories. Sometimes those categories are labelled wrong. Almost all of the gamemaster section's pages are labelled 'the turn' for some reason.

This is actually an appallingly unpolished sophomore effort.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Sounds like the latest FATAL & Friends sensation.

I'm considering it, but I suspect I'd just end up wearing out the question mark key on my keyboard.

'So the GM rolled an E%...' He did???? Why???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
For the record, I don't have anything against the idea of 'Play as yourself!', I just think it's such an obvious idea that using it as the #1 selling point of your game isn't really saying a whole lot about your powers of creativity. It's not a new idea.

• Locked thread