Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I liked an idea Mutants & Masterminds had, where (iirc) there were no HPs, just saving throws. Which makes perfect genre sense, when a truck hits Superman, he either shrugs it off or is struck down to make a dramatic monologue.

I remember a Case White hex'n'counter wargame where, similarly, units did not damage their opponents directly, but rather forced opponents to roll for damage at varying difficulty. I think that's an interesting design space that should be explored more.

[edit] Like, it might not might have much sense in D&D world where some people make careers as designated punchbags, but if one were playing, say, a James Bond game, when someone gets shot, it means something.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Myself, I'd skip the damage altoghether. I'd do something like a track of 3-5 wounds, with every hit hurting the same and you being knocked out once you have no more boxes to fill. The difference from simply having 3-5 HPs would be that each wound would come with some sort of debuff - decided by cards, dice, Apocalypse World-style list, whatever - that steals all the focus of damage-taking. So it's not as much HP-counting as "ok, you took an arrow to the knee, guess you can't run and jump until you've healed". Basically making the act of getting hurt an event into itself.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, just a bit more restrictive and fine-tuned for a proper feel I feel like evoking.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm not sure whether it involved statting oneselves or not in the end (sadly I couldn't attend that particular game), but a fellow goon did a hilarious campy take on "Escape from New York" based on an infamous district of a city we live in.

Let's just say it began with a Tupolev crashing down over the local hive of scum & villainy and the rest is history.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

You know what's the funniest part about statting oneselves? INT arms race.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The way I'd do Pokemon trainer stats as poo poo that has to do with interacting with your Pokemon that gets its scope broadened when a need calls for it. So instead of STR INT etc., you'd have stats like Friendship, Ambition, Determination or whatever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know a whole lot about Pokemon beyond watching friends play it on Game Boys back in high school, but I think that a game about fantastical animals engaging in sanctioned duels would be just about perfect for lots of social combat: backroom dealings and match rigging and betting and bookies. Don King: The Game, with small magical animals.

That sounds super awesome, actually. I think I heard contenders was a very good little game, I wonder how hard would it be to convert to Pokemon Noir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

They were hired by a vampire to steal other vampire's favourite painting to gently caress with him, as a part of long-running feud. They sort of blew the secrecy of the entire thing (no one expected ~vampire powers~/~vampire conspiracy~), leading to the feud re-igniting with the both sides angry at them. As the shadow war spirals out exceeding expectations, the PCs can either live on the run forever, or play the sides against each other, hoping to either crash entire system, or if they're feeling cynical, set up an influential patron who won't mind leaving them be.

Escaping the town is difficult, because everyone can be on it, or whatever, let the conspiracy's tendrils spread/awaken wherever they go, perhaps returning to the town for a final showdown. It'll probably be more fun to let them do heists all around the country in important/iconic facilities, that totally are infiltrated by vampires.

• Locked thread