Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm not too well read on Deadlands and not very invested in the particulars of the setting. Are your players invested? Because I don't think you need to do that much legwork to make the whole Civil War thing shake out like it did in real life, but now there are also zombie cowboys.

I guess the world building/metaplot part of Deadlands was always the least interesting thing about it, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Libertad! posted:

We're still playing Pathfinder, but I have a soft spot for Deadlands so it might be one of several planned games once we're done with our current campaign.

Well, I meant specifically, are they invested in the setting details? Or would they be cool with "everything is like real history up to 1880 except Cali collapsed and ghosts came out"?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Holy poo poo that site design.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, at the height of the Consultantpot Dome Scandal, I recall Wick pimping some rambling Hangout on his YouTube where he and Zak bullshit about being too edgy and truth-telly for all the normies.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

If you're not just looking for actual plays, I've recently been enjoying my way through System Mastery.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

Oh yeah, I follow those guys too. They're pretty funny. Did you hear their one on Continuum?

Yep, that one and Haven...City of Violence are pretty great.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Len posted:

What's a good way to go about starting a blog and getting readers? A guy I know writes one but it's steadily getting shittier and shittier with him just posting ads for new games coming out to get free stuff. I'm about to hopefully graduate college and have free time again so I could potentially write things on my own. There's a good chance it's just going to end up a goon project and never happen but I'm not sure where to even begin.

I think the best bets for making a good, modestly popular blog (apart from writing well, obviously) are:

1) Consistency. Update regularly, probably at least once a week.

2) Team up with someone. Mix up content both to improve audience draw and lighten the load.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Well, it looks like the Nobilis thread never existed, or did once but fell outside Creation. So I'll post this here.

The Great White Book is available in PDF, thanks to the hard work of better people than me. Rejoice!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There is a serious tone and mysticism to the GWB that I value and love. However, the GWB is an excellent piece of art, while I think the Field Guide is in every way a superior game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Most games, even the ones with strong genre-enforcement incentives like *World, aren't really shields against a group making things wacky. On top of the fact that you can turn anything into a farce, I think players are just inclined to Shenanigans because the easiest fall-back when you don't have the energy/ideas to be appropriately dramatic is to crack jokes. This is why RPGs often descend into silliness.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

When the party reaches Section Q, roll d100 on table 10-3 to determine the sort of resolution that the adventure will have.

Table 10-3
01-07: Deus Ex Machina
08-13: Dramatic Irony
14-20: Comic Irony
21-30: Anticlimax
31-38: Morality Play
39-46: Musical Number
47-54: Dadist Surrealism
55-65: Pie Fight
66-72: Greek Tragedy
73-81: Sudden Plot Twist
82-90: Cliffhanger
91-00: CAUGHT IN TIME LOOP: Return to Section A and replay adventure from the beginning.

A preview of 100 Awful Tables to Make Your Games Seriously the Worst.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There is always an element of aid in Big Tables of Random Plot Events, but all too often they're a really restrictive, weird, lazy list. Or they were. I'm mostly thinking of Rolemaster's GM products with 1-100 tables for goddamn everything, so you have "87. The prince of an allied kingdom has fallen ill." and then "88. The princess of an allied kingdom has fallen ill." Like, gently caress, just don't make the table if you're going to do that.

Meanwhile, while there are some hiccoughs here or there, I love the Holdfast Creation tables from Iron Edda.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I haven't read them, but the author Shannon Applecline clearly goes to a lot of work putting together stuff like that. He puts out a "year in review for RPGs" every year for RPGnet.

Watch out for fascist mind control revisionism in the books, according to our good friend who never read them, the Pundit.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 20, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What, does Shannon say that Unknown Armies was a good RPG or something?

I think they're very focused on being informational, not editorial. Which surely means their Marxist influence must be very insidious indeed.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It was a while ago, maybe as much as a year. I think some major update on the books had just come out, which made it a topic of discussion. OG was revving up his "no guys, I'm totally cool, RPGnet is the poops and you should buy my similar, shoddier book" after another RPGnet ban. I don't care to dig it up. I posted it in grogs.txt, along with highlights of his forum making fun of him conspiracizing about a book he hadn't read.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

How does the book deliver this information? As interviews with people who would know? Store reported sales?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hm, drat, $140 for the hardback collection. Guess that'll have to wait.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I picked up the PDF copy of the 70's, and so far I'm liking it. I am a little bothered by the frequent use of "…but more about that later."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Libertad! posted:

*cough*DarkSunEberron*cough*

Oh my god Dark Sun is the post-apocalyptic fallen world future of Eberron :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mormon Star Wars posted:

You know, I never considered nightvision something that would really weigh into racial choices in Dungeons and Dragons. Everquest though? Who would play a barbarian when you can't see at night! At least the best character type, Erudite Necromancer, could get night vision amulets pretty quickly.

I remember when it mattered some, but it was never that big a deal after the first couple of expansions, and after PoP vision-enhancement gear started falling like rain.

:argh: WoW easy mode babby syndrome before WoW was even a thing!!! :argh:

• Locked thread