Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

AmiYumi posted:

Upset about your group being a bunch of pasty IT guys? Go do something about it. Learn a skill, go camping, whatever you want. It shouldn't even be a hard sell, just dress it up in some kind of "zombie apocalypse" justification; nerds eat that poo poo right up.
Just so I'm clear, I should go camping so next time I stat myself up in an RPG, I have a camping skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doodmons posted:

There are dumber reasons to go camping I suppose.

Everyone should go camping, it's really fun.
I know. I've been camping plenty of times.

But no, there aren't many dumber reasons to go camping, I'm afraid.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spincut posted:

Hm, there was a game called I think "Dark" that was about thieves that got Kickstarted recently. I haven't heard much about it though.

EDIT: Ah, found it: Project: Dark. Looks like it's still being worked on.
I backed it and I'm a bit salty about it. The designer is communicating now, but the project was dark (:rimshot:) for about 6 months or so. I'm not sure how close it is to being done.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

I was pursuing drivethrurpg when I saw Designers & Dragons: the history of tabletop roleplaying games. It sounds intriguing, but expense. Anyone know if it is any good?
I kickstarted this. It's amazing. It's a great read, with a hobby-wide and well-researched perspective. It's not combative, and it's obvious how many people he's talked to in order to write it. At least, the first two are great. I haven't read the rest, other than the WotC article in the 90's.

I loved it because I finally got to get a glimpse at the companies and games that filled up Dragon ads and distributor catalogs back in the early 80's.

Plague of Hats posted:

Watch out for fascist mind control revisionism in the books, according to our good friend who never read them, the Pundit.
link?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plague of Hats posted:

How does the book deliver this information? As interviews with people who would know? Store reported sales?
It doesn't. Not that I saw, anyway. It does mention the very real and acknowledged problems with the launch, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So this is what I'm doing tomorrow.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Are you running the unrated director's cut of that Silver Princess?
No, that one is a lot harder to grab and go, which is the point. It left a bunch of rooms as, "dunno, make poo poo up" which is not what I'm looking for, this time.

That copy of Moldvay Basic is, btw, the book that set me on this life of nerdery back in '82 or '83.

e: And this is a wacky loving dungeon, y'all. My favorite part is the deadly pit/fire trap between the schoolroom and the library for no reason. Seems like a bad idea.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quarex posted:

PuttyKnife, have you told your story somewhere? Downward spiral to homelessness plus having the money to afford $10,000 on gaming in one year sounds like a pretty interesting tale.

Also I enjoyed reading this Ethan Gilsdorf 5th Edition piece and seeing that 4th Edition will apparently always be remembered by history as "the video-game one."
I was so close to grogposting that article. I'm really glad 5e is doing so well, though.

• Locked thread