Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The highlight of that video was Zak S. warping Goldilocks and the 3 Bears into D&D rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

Imagine what Reddit and 4chan would look like if the world were suddenly Exalted

just...imagine. :magical:

So...it'd be baseline Exalted?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

To use the aforementioned example, Planescape wanted people to travel across the planes and experience how weird and different they are. So to show this, magic items would get stronger or weaker depending on what plane you were currently at. In reality, this was a pain to deal with, so people either ignored the rule (always the sign of a good rule), or didn't travel the planes and experience how weird and different they were.

4e did the right thing here where they removed a lot of the cruft of poo poo that no one ever used (hello demiplane of salt) and kept all the cool, interesting places you would probably venture to outside of your own material plane.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MartianAgitator posted:

No way, dude the bizarre poo poo that was just bizarre, like the plane of elemental salt, were fantastic. It's the parts that were incredibly specific jank mechanics (priest spellcasting rules) where the setting sucked. And also the amazing bizarre poo poo/jank mechanic crossovers, like spell keys. The great ideas were great, it's the implementation we're bitching about.

That's the thing, though. It was neat to read but not useful to play in. It was background poo poo that very rarely, if ever, saw any sort of play; there was no reason to go to the elemental plane of salt because it'd just loving kill you. Same with a lot of the planes actually. They weren't very fun.

4e just went "well gently caress that, just keep the cool stuff" and that worked because then you didn't have a ton of poo poo clogging up space that'd never get used by 95% of players.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Birthright basically did this--that is, building/running a kingdom and worrying about trade and resources and the like.

It also had a :black101:GODDAMN VAMPIRE:black101: as a ruler of a kingdom, so you could totally get your not-Castlevania on.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Reminder: 4e PHBII got on the NYT best seller list, which up until that point (and even now) has never happened for a roleplaying game.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Didn't he leave (or get sacked?) fairly early on?

He left of his own volition, apparently. More likely it was a butting of heads between him and Mearls (or possibly other designers) and just deciding it was best to go make his own game than deal with their nonsense.

Probably made the right move in the long run.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Oh my god Dark Sun is the post-apocalyptic fallen world future of Eberron :psyboom:

There was a thread on /tg/ where someone came to that conclusion and decided to make a whole campaign based off that premise, with a heavy dose of Chrono Trigger time-travel/alternate timelines thrown in for good measure.

I think it started off as FR (or similarly generic fantasy world), with a choice being made where the future would be either Eberron or Dark Sun; the PC's had the ability to go back and forth between time and the two alternate timelines, and they had to somehow prevent Dark Sun from happening. If things got REAL hosed up, the DS timeline went forward into Gamma World and the weirdness therein.

Honestly I'd have played the gently caress out of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Also if you're playing the newest version of the rules the combat section is straight-up a game of Warmachine, so if you and your group isn't much for wargames there's gonna be a problem.

• Locked thread