Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ravenkult posted:

My pet peeve in that Werewolf game was how the GM just gave the benefit of the doubt (for lack of a better word) to every NPC he had created. Like we'd be low on everything, from weapons or ammo to magical ''juice'' to fuel our powers (I've already forgotten the terms for this in Werewolf) and we'd have to fight 2 vs 6 and they'd have military grade equipment and be fully charged, never wounded, never caught by surprise. Meanwhile our team was half dead, carried pistols (we couldn't buy anything better because of REALISM).
This has always been one of the things I don't like about D&D. In WoD it's expected that enemy supernaturals aren't just going to dump all their resources (ammo, equipment, mana equivalent, whatever) into trying to kill the PCs because accruing those things is weeks of in-game work, but everything in D&D refreshes after an eight hour nap, so enemy monsters with 1/day spell-likes usually have no reason not to use them on you, as dollars to donuts you're their only encounter that day.

It's another reason why Wizards are better than Fighters. The argument of "Oh, well it's okay that the Wizard is stronger than the Fighter in the short term because the Wizard slowly runs out of resources as the adventuring day progresses while the Fighter doesn't" doesn't hold much water when you realize that class abilities designed to be short bursts of power (i.e. spells) are going to be used endlessly against the Fighter over and over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I've lost count of the number of times I've had this argument, but "a bunch of people liked it" has never, ever been a successful barometer for a given product's quality. Ever. In the history of anything. I've not entirely sure why sales figures are relevant to anything other than talking about what has the broadest appeal.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm a big fan of IK's dual-class system, if for no other reason than it makes it very, very hard to make a one-trick pony because, at a minimum, your character will be good at at least two things. While it's entirely possible to double-up on careers that are focused on similar things, all the careers are good enough at what they're supposed to be good at that well-rounded is usually the smart way to go. A Rifleman/Soldier is going to be great at shooting things with guns and terrible at everything else, but a Rifleman/Investigator is going to be pretty good at shooting guns as well as a more useful guy to have around.

• Locked thread