Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Does anyone know what game I'm thinking of then? 'Cause I swear I heard of a game like that.
It's Outbreak: Undead.

DocBubonic posted:

Could someone explain why roleplaying yourself would be fun? I spend most of my week being myself and when I game I want to be something else.
Because the point is playing yourself in an unfamiliar, even fantastic scenario. It's why going hiking is fun: Because it gives you an excuse to get out of the house do something you don't usually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I gotta say though, learning adventuring skills like camping or stabbing things with swords is pretty fun, and I feel pretty awesome for knowing crap like that. :black101: I honestly recommend taking a peek into YLLS or TFR or whatever and seeing if anything catches your interest.

DocBubonic posted:

I play RPGs to be something other then myself. If I want to have adventure in my real life (even if its just hiking), then why not just do that?

Also it seems to me that roleplaying yourself usually comes up in zombie games. Is that the "fantastic" scenario you want to be in?
Well I certainly wouldn't want to try it in real life. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This thread, in a nutshell:

All y'all posted:

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!
:(

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sugita's basically the coolest guy. He had a whole TV show that was just about him, buddy voice actor Yuuichi Nakamura and maybe some other unfortunate schmuck in the biz sitting around playing video games and telling goony jokes. I would metaphorically kill people for more translated episodes of Tokyo Encounter.

...There is actually a translated episode I have not seen. :neckbeard: I might have to go kill somebody now, just to balance it out.

Edit: It's amazing that neither one of us identified him with his numerous pretty great anime roles. No, we had to talk about the show where he sits around playing video games.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 10, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

I'm not sure why D&D specifically is prone to this kind of thing, but games I run or play in do consistently lean toward silly rather than serious, regardless of the original intent.
Beyond a certain threshold, ultraviolence is inherently funny.

Also, right now I'm thinking a big failing of D&D-style heartbreakers (including D&D itself) is that the combat part of the game works really hard to disconnect itself from the discussion that makes up the meat of playing role-playing games. There's all these extra rules on who gets to talk when and say what and how many charges you've got left and can I use Ability X to even do this and ~phhhbbtttt~. You basically have to switch between two different dialects - hell, whole languages - of talking RPG to solve the cool puzzle-boss while staying in-character.

Apocalypse World is pretty cool because it makes up its own weird cant of RPG and insists on talking about everything in the game in that weirdspeak.

I should play more and grog less. :(

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, it is a game where you get together to make you a kingdom. :downsrim:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They're not terribly good games, though. Their age kind of shows by now, after years of better d20 implementations. If you're invested in the d20, I might go as far as suggest either Spycraft 2.0 (trigger warning: crunch) and hacking away all the modern-day superspy stuff, or picking up Mutants & Masterminds and only making reasonably competent people instead of superheroes.

Basically, what I'm saying is, maybe look beyond d20.

I think an important question (one I forgot to ask in the Historicals thread) is, what do you want mechanics for? Because if you want to shoot mans dead and maybe go through their pockets for change, GURPS might be your choice. It does the shooting and hurting and not getting shot bits pretty well, I'm told. If you want to feel bad about shooting mans dead, I might look into God-Machine Chronicle (which is the mortals book for the new new World of Darkness) and just ignore the supernatural horror elements in favour of war's natural horror elements. At the heart of it, it's a horror game about trying to make it as an insignificant mortal being, so it's pretty apt for a game about war. If you want to feel worse about it, hmm, maybe look up Carry and try to convert it from Vietnam to WWII?

So if you just want to do "war things", pick up any generic ruleset like GURPS or Basic Roleplaying or whatever. If you want more storygamey mechanics, you'll have to hack off bits of other games.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Grunt's the game that has the "only one PC can die in a session" rule, right? I guess that might work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone give me the elevator pitch/lowdown on Iron Kingdoms? I tried looking it up on F&F but it never got to the mechanics.
It's an alright skirmish miniatures game married to a class system and a very run-of-the-mill noncombat task resolution system. So, in other words, pretty much 4E but you'll have to use a ruler. :v: (You could super easily just substitute a 1" hex grid.)

The setting's cool, but I already have the massive D&D era sourcebooks for the setting and don't really like combat-focused RPGs. I'd probably try to hack out some sort of Fate implementation instead of buying the expensive official book. Atomic Robo might be a good starting point for warjack rules, maybe, and definitely a good place for implementing mechanikal gadgets. After that, it's just needs a good magic system and a bunch of ways for Menites to put things On Fire.

• Locked thread