Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wait, Fantasy Craft actually released another class expansion and has news on Spellbound? Just when you think a game line is down...

Always thought of it as "the game Pathfinder players ought to be playing instead".

For reference, you can find the new Shinobi, Skirmisher and Witch Hunter classes here (assuming DriveThruRPG isn't down due to Cyber Monday when you click that link) and you can find all the new news on Spellbound here.

Thanks for mentioning this, ARB. I'm really glad to hear that Fantasy Craft still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know the old fan made Pokemon RPG got Fatal and Friends-ed fairly hard, and rightly, but there's actually a newer version called PTU that's...it's not GREAT but it's way less lovely and basically possible to have a good time with other pokemon nerds who are also RPG nerds without needing a separate side book of houserules.

Also it's hard to hate on a game that lets you play a Martial Artist who fights along side his pokemon. Like, they super hard threw out the concept that only the pokemon fight and you can just slug the other trainer or dropkick his annoying Pikachu and it rules.

In my group's last game one of us may have wound up reinacting that Russian(?) statue of the dude fighting a bunch of babies when we found a school and demanded pokemon logic be applied and thus for some reason everyone inside, especially the tiny children, are trainers.

I'm in a game of Pokemon Tabletop United (which you can find here) too, and I feel like I should temper expectations a bit. It's still way more playable than PTA, don't get me wrong, but it could still be better. It still sticks closer to Pokemon's video game mechanics than a tabletop game really should without a good way to automate it. (I would completely refuse to even touch stuff that affects combat stages if I wasn't using a spreadsheet like this one to automate it.) It still has unfun moneysinks like fishing that are only there because... I don't know, because Pokemon needs to have fishing and thus you need to have to buy bait and have the chance of a fish snapping the line and swimming off. We still had no idea that our pokemon XP vs trainer XP vs money was completely out of line with what the expected rates were until some of the other players went to their IRC channel because they don't say how much money or how many pokemon they expect a level five trainer to have so it's all in the hands of the GM to decide. It's still playable. It's just annoying.

On the plus side PTU's way more of an actual game than PTA was and other than the whole "doesn't set good expectations for how fast the three types of advancement should advance" thing it does actually have good GM advice, so it's not a complete waste of time to read if you want to look at a Pokemon tabletop.

• Locked thread