Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

AlphaDog posted:

Combining those two ideas might work pretty well for a D&D-like game. Weapons could do 1-2-3-4 cards worth of damage, cards could be "0 damage, 1 damage, 2 damage, 1 damage and draw again" or whatever. Armour could say stuff like "ignore the highest damage card drawn" or "convert the highest damage card drawn to 1 damage", magic weapons could be "the lowest damage card drawn is converted to X" or "any 2 damage card drawn gains Stun" or whatever.

That's a cool idea. Some other options might be forcing opponents to redraw their "least severe" injury, or (defensively) allow you to redraw your most severe one. A big enough deck could include a small number of "critical wounds" like injuries to specific body parts, movement penalties, attribute reductions, etc.

I'm actually working on a simple card-based game (using standard playing cards) where injury is handled by forcing you to discard from your hand or blindly from the top of your deck and you're taken out once you've burned through your whole deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Tulpa posted:

Or just use the free PDQ# rules that are already airship-free. The duelling rules are really quite elegant and genre appropriate.

The airship rules themselves actually still work extremely well for ship-to-ship combat (air or not). In fact, it's generally a decent way to handle any sort of mass combat.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Seems like d20 Modern or d20 Past might be your best bet as far as that specific itch.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

TehKeen posted:

I was thinking something gritty with provisions for the occasional covert operation. My rough idea for a setting would be following a group of Russian soldiers as they're pushed back during Barbarossa and through the siege of Leningrad. So, a bit like a zombie survival game but the Nazis aren't actually zombies for once. :v:

I'm not beholden to d20, but it's the only system I have experience with. The bit of mechanics that I've seen looking at this Red Tide rulebook is making my inner grognard purr, though. :kimchi:

Hmmm...

GURPs could definitely work, it just depends on whether or not you like GURPS. For some it can be a bit of a chore, but it can be tweaked to do pretty much any sort of game you like and realistic war games are one area where you probably wouldn't be overwhelmed with options.

Unknown Armies could be good if you enjoy its particular style, it's quite gritty without being obscenely lethal. It has a heavy psychological focus as well so if you're interested in exploring the horrors of war it could work very well.

Savage Worlds is, by default, more of an "action movie" game but with some of the optional rules engaged it becomes a lot grittier and it has a lot of the tools you need for a good, gritty war game (injury mechanics, fear system, mass combat rules) without being overcomplicated.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It probably suffered by comparison to the 3e launch. 3e was, to the best of my recollection, adopted very quickly and by a large majority of the D&D audience. It really took off in popularity and I got the impression it kept going strong for quite a while.

4e on the other hand really was a love/hate thing for a lot of people. There were plenty of groups that refused to cross over to the new edition and/or went to Pathfinder instead. Even if, financially, it sold well I don't think it was adopted with nearly as much enthusiasm.

• Locked thread