Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Saving Throws as I understand were added actually a bit later from most of the other rules; originally if the medusa caught your eyes or you got hit with the super poison you just loving died. Likewise you couldn't dodge fireballs or oil grenades or what have you for the above reason of the whole "siege engine" thing. Gygax later went "No wait this is terrible" and added saving throws. They incidentally weren't about you like, dodging the fireball or whatever, it was just fate smiled on you and you survived. You met the medusa's eyes and somehow turned away just in the nick of time, or the fireball managed to scorch just above you by luck, or something like that.

If it helps, remember that HP was never intended to be actual physical wounds, and that rules were just sorta created ad-hoc in play because Gygax was playing his dumb elfgame basically every goddamn day and revising stuff on the fly. And that the whole "roleplaying thing" wasn't actually intended.

It does seem a bit backwards, in hindsight. You'd think the creature would have to roll well to hit you with a fireball, not you have to roll well to have the creature miss. I'm not saying systems where you make defense rolls don't make sense, but the creature rolling to hit you would be more in line with how the rest of the game functions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Not super relevant, but my friend mentioned some guy doing a good job homebrewing the necromorphs of Dead Space into All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I don't own AFMBE. Is it any good? Is it that one where you stat yourself?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Sounds like the latest FATAL & Friends sensation.

Nah, that's probably going to be John Wick's next book of advice for GMs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

moths posted:

Those "stat yourself" games sound like they'd be loving awesome if the last thing you do at character creation is pass your character sheet to the left.

I don't exactly follow. Is it to avoid overstating your abilities to survive? Or something else?

Depending, it could actually 'cause some problems since roleplaying as your friends could lead to some grievances.

Covok
May 27, 2013

But wasn't AFMBE the game where your supposed to stat yourself? Or was that Dread, which I know is another zombie game? I've honestly never read either. I might have mixed them in my head.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Does anyone know what game I'm thinking of then? 'Cause I swear I heard of a game like that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

FMguru posted:

Back in the 1990s the members of the GURPS forums at sjgames.com thought it would be fun to stat themselves up with the GURPS rules and post the results. I once read the collected document they put together, and yeah, every single one was IT Guy or Academic with the same set of disadvantages (Lazy, Overweight, Shy, Bad Vision (Correctable), Easily Distracted, Wealth/Struggling, Dependency:Insulin, etc.) and office/hobby skills (things like Art/Miniatures Painting and Perform/Filk). It was kind of depressing, all the more so since a statting up of myself would fit rather seamlessly among them.

I mean it's not like that's such a bad thing. The standard adventurers in trpgs are kind of unrealistic and, even though we idolize them to a degree, they are kind of awful people. Sure, they qualities we should have such as bravery and, honestly, we probably could all stand to lose a few pounds and be in better health, but they also tend to be incapable of solving problems without violence, tend to be too greedy and obsessed, are unsympathetic to the plight of others unless they can get something out of it, are not emotionally old enough to settle down, lack emotional maturity in general thus are quick to wild and dangerous action, often know little about the ways of the world, never find love or have kids, can't even perform simple mathematics, ectera.

I'm not saying we're better, but most of us are far from being bad people. Just because we aren't heroes slaying dragons, doesn't mean we haven't accomplished alot, dealt with adversity, and overcame alot. Just because our jobs don't have a lot clout to them, doesn't mean they aren't hard, that we don't work hard, or that we didn't earn them. Just because some of us may be shy and in bad financial standings, doesn't mean we're bad people, not someone people like to be around, or incapable of thriving in society.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Siivola posted:

It's Outbreak: Undead.

Thank you. I must have really got it all mixed up in my head then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Well I at least don't mean it in some sort of "critique of the modern man" sense, it's not "hurr nerds are dumb and bad," it's just that most RPGs are built to place an emphasis on adventure-y skills and not, say, your ability to file TPS reports or that time you coached little league. And these games FFG is making don't look like they're changing that paradigm what with being about zombie apocalypses and aliens and stuff like that.

Oh, I know. It's just that he was saying it was depressing that his character would end up built in a similar fashion to those examples he was listing so I was telling him that's not so bad to be like that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Is there any sort of setting where "play as yourself!" could work well? I mean, zombies and aliens are probably bad at it, but would something like Golden Sky Stories or Do: Monks of the Flying Temple adapt well to that sort of play? Games where you could ask something like "here's a fantastic problem, how would you use what you yourself know to solve it," I mean.
The setting of Monster Hearts probably fits. One where it is essentially the real world except with (albeit dark) fantastical elements. As such, applying logic and skills from our lives into that world wouldn't be like trying to substitute an apple in a recipe with an orange.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tollymain posted:

rereading chapter 1, i'm surprised people didn't realize nagisa's a coldblooded killer sooner. look at his face during the grenade reveal :unsmigghh:

So, which topic was this post supposed to be in?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, I read a bit of that. One with the mach-5 tentacle monster guy who the government can't kill so they appease him by giving him students to teach, right?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tollymain posted:

whoops

also yes

To which statement?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ah, just curious.

Also, I really like six feat under and I'm wondering if anyone knows any other good roleplaying podcast out there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

One Shot is pretty good and has had Ironicus from 6FU on it a couple times.

Oh yeah, I listened to them before. Forgot about them. I listened to their pathfinder session it was pretty tight. They actually used the broken magic system to make the story more interesting with their best pal.

Plague of Hats posted:

If you're not just looking for actual plays, I've recently been enjoying my way through System Mastery.

Oh yeah, I follow those guys too. They're pretty funny. Did you hear their one on Continuum?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gasperkun posted:

I was half-hoping you were talking about the old HBO TV show here until I finished reading this sentence.

That would have required me to be able to afford HBO.

Plague of Hats posted:

Yep, that one and Haven...City of Violence are pretty great.

Yeah, it was pretty cool about hearing about little known systems. It's like F&F with less active involvement on my part.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, I'm an Eagle Scout. I have been a lot of camping trips, I've hunted with guns, traps, and a bow and arrow, I can make camps fire, etc. I'm not a bad shot with a rifle, but I don't practice often. Also, I only know basic first aid and I haven't done it in a while. I'm a little overweight, but I do regularly attend a gym and can do decent cardio and weight lifting. I've been in a lot of fist fights in my life because of a mix of lovely school and lovely neighborhood: wouldn't call myself good at fighting.

What are my chances in a zombie apocalypse?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Was talking with my friends on skype about games that take one fantasy archetype and make a whole game based around it. Like Ars Magica with wizards and Pendragon with knights. We couldn't, however, think of one for thieves. Anyone know if there are any for thieves?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Had a really good session of X-COM FATE today.

Two characters who should have met a long time did and there was a great back and forth between them. One was a military general while the other was a grizzled, old veteran (me). Completely unintentional, the grizzled vet kept making stabs at the general for not being on the battlefield and sending men to die in battle. He's always been a little of a cynic so I thought it made sense.

Then, due to a challenge we ran into, I had to evacuate the general from a room filling with poison. I was wearing a skeleton suit -- which has a grappling hook built in -- and there was an exposed hole in the roof. We had a few other young soldiers with us. I am, quite literally, the 1,000,000 man since I have cybernetic enhancements from alien tech: humanity needs me alive for, if nothing else, the tech inside me. The general is one of the commanders so we have to evacuate him from the FUBAR base. So, I had to give the soldiers some false reassurance I would send the skeleton suit back down to them. They gave me some false bravado even though the GM let it drop that they knew they were going to die.

I did keep my word and drop the armor back, but only one guy made it out. Had a great little exchange like "So it this what it's like to be a general?" "Yes" "Glad I never got promoted. Now, help me get this guy out of here. I don't want all this kids to die today."

When we blew the base, I was given the option of pulling the trigger, but refused because some of our men were still inside and I couldn't bear having anymore blood on my hand.

On our way out, I even had a dialogue with the survivor about trying to stay sane through all this and remind him what we're fighting for: reminded him of his wife and how he's got to get home to her when this was all over.

It was pretty frikken good session especially since it's normally more on the light hearted side.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libertad! posted:

A lot of those hardcore simulationist gamers probably don't have Asperger's, but rather a boner for making a living, breathing campaign by doing things all the wrong way. Not to mention the overall nerd obsession with "realism" which is a misuse of the phrase "consistent."

Using "sperg" as a pejorative towards them is a bad idea people shouldn't do.

Thank you for saying that. As someone who has a family member with autism, I really get tired of people using the term for a form of autism as a pejorative.

Kai Tave posted:

Is Meikyuu Kingdom ever getting a finalized English translation?
I was just asking about that. It apparently hit a rocky patch, but the translators still plan to finish it, IIRC.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Due to an amazon sale, I purchased a copy of FATE Core hardcover and FAE softcover. They came in good condition, but, man, is there a size different. FAE looks like a pamphlet next to FATE. It's was honestly kind of funny.

Covok
May 27, 2013

oriongates posted:

Savage Worlds is, by default, more of an "action movie" game but with some of the optional rules engaged it becomes a lot grittier and it has a lot of the tools you need for a good, gritty war game (injury mechanics, fear system, mass combat rules) without being overcomplicated.

Doesn't savage world have a setting that is literally all about world war 2 + supernatural? You could cut out the "+supernatural" part and use that.

While it isn't out yet, I remember seeing a kickstarter that was all about playing a Russian night witch, a female only division of pilots from world war 2. It isn't out yet, but you could look into it.

Both of these comments are if you're willing to go for something a little different from D&D. Personally not a big player of D&D so I couldn't give you advice on games that have similar mechanics and fit that role.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I was pursuing drivethrurpg when I saw Designers & Dragons: the history of tabletop roleplaying games. It sounds intriguing, but expense. Anyone know if it is any good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Effectronica posted:

It's the only attempt at a full history of the hobby, and the original version was four thick volumes. You can probably ditch the first volume for Jon Peterson's Playing At The World, which covers a lot of 70s designers as part of its history of D&D up to AD&D, but there really aren't any equivalents out there for the second through fourth volumes.

So, it does a good job of cataloging the history of the hobby then, I presume? Might be worth a read then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

fez_machine posted:

The only revisionism in the book, unfortunately, is the continued statements that 4e D&D was a commercial and creative failure.

I don't get why people think it's a commercial failure. You can infer a lot from its D&D Insider subscriber count in regards to how much income just peripheral of it generated.

Covok
May 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

It doesn't. Not that I saw, anyway. It does mention the very real and acknowledged problems with the launch, though.

Oh, that's good to hear. Fixes it in my eye.

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've heard it said that 3.5s Tome of Battle Book of 9 Swords was a sort of testbed for ideas that would eventually become 4th edition. Anyone want to elaborate on that?

Yeah, that's a fan theory. Long story short, it gave martials nice things like wizards 'cept distinct and clearly martial powers. A lot of people think they were testing the waters for the AEUD system of 4e.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Like James Shipman of Outlaw Press, that dude who outright steals Tunnels and Trolls books, puts his name on them and sells them.

That is straight up criminal and illegal. Why hasn't T&T put a C&D on his P&S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

I decided to start a contest for January a little early. It's focused on games that actively support online, traditional roleplaying games. In other words, trpgs made with the idea of playing across a computer as the main, intended form of play.

• Locked thread