Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The idea is that a unified America could have dealt with the supernatural threats in an organized fashion without both sides being distracted by the North-South Cold War. Whether or not that's a convincing conceit is an exercise for the reader, but the general idea is that the big reason the timeline diverges from ours at all is because of Reckoner meddling. Well, that and ghost rock, but the two go hand-in-hand.

Reckoners are the reason for ghost rock. It sure isn't naturally occurring in the Deadlands universe. Ghost rock and Mad science helped to keep the U.S. from defeating the C.S.A.

Also in the time between the end of the civil war and Hell on Earth, the two countries are at peace. At the same time the two countries do a good job of wiping out most supernatural threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Could someone explain why roleplaying yourself would be fun? I spend most of my week being myself and when I game I want to be something else.

I guess if the character you're playing is an idealized version of yourself with all sorts of awesome abilities, then that might be a little fun but then that wouldn't be playing myself.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Siivola posted:

Because the point is playing yourself in an unfamiliar, even fantastic scenario. It's why going hiking is fun: Because it gives you an excuse to get out of the house do something you don't usually do.

I play RPGs to be something other then myself. If I want to have adventure in my real life (even if its just hiking), then why not just do that?

Also it seems to me that roleplaying yourself usually comes up in zombie games. Is that the "fantastic" scenario you want to be in?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh yeah, that is another silly thing I love about All Flesh Must Be Eaten, the name. In this modern day oversaturation of zombie games/movies/whatever its name actually manages to stick out. Compared to:

Dawn of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Dead State
State of Decay
Dead Walking
Dead Rising
Shaun of the Dead
Outbreak: Undead
Evil Dead
Day of the Dead
Dead Snow
Left for Dead
Dead Island

Etc etc.

I don't see Evil Dead as a zombie film.

Also there's Walking Dead for your list too.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Don't know who to reply to in regards to the playing yourself scenario, but I had another thought about it.

If you asked me twenty years ago if this sounded fun, then I'd probably say yes. One major difference between now and then are the social aspects of myself. I'm married, have debt and I have parents who are retired (and I occasionally have to help).

If I was to play in a game where I'm myself, then I'd spend my time taking care of my wife and my family. I'd spend a lot of time worrying about their health and well being. Not to mention I'd worry about all the other issues in my life that concern me. These aren't the kind of things I'd enjoy dealing with in a RPG.

Now if I was to have a different version of myself without a wife, a close family, or any other obligations; then I'd probably be up for it. At that point I'm not playing myself anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

moths posted:

Plus the monolith of D&D is finally good and dead.

And what do you base this on? I won't call D&D dead until they stop putting books out for it.

Also there's the diehards that still play various versions of D&D. As long as they're around I wouldn't call it dead.

• Locked thread