Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If you want to use the Confederacy, you should base it on Kreider's resurrection of Sherman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lichtenstein posted:

Myself, I'd skip the damage altoghether. I'd do something like a track of 3-5 wounds, with every hit hurting the same and you being knocked out once you have no more boxes to fill. The difference from simply having 3-5 HPs would be that each wound would come with some sort of debuff - decided by cards, dice, Apocalypse World-style list, whatever - that steals all the focus of damage-taking. So it's not as much HP-counting as "ok, you took an arrow to the knee, guess you can't run and jump until you've healed". Basically making the act of getting hurt an event into itself.

The alternate AW harm rules are pretty boss, IMO, but if you want something a bit more formal the standard clock works well too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ryoshi posted:

I can kind of understand the reasoning behind saving throws working the way they do mechanics-wise, other than the whole "half-damage on a save" bullshit. If D&D wasn't so ludicrously tied to its archaic binary pass/fail systems it would be trivial to add a third case - full damage on a miss, half damage on a save that beats the DC by less than 5, no damage on a save that beats the DC by 5 or more and gives the defender an additional effect to reflect it (e.g. a Dex save against a fire spell could have you instantly rolling out of range and leave you prone, you take the brunt of a cold spell to your clothes/armor so you don't take damage but have 5ft less movement next turn, that kind of thing.)

half-damage on a miss is because casters can't suck for any reason, hth

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ryoshi posted:

I know you're joking about CASTER SUPREMACY, the apparent cornerstone of "real" D&D, but that's just it: if you shoot a spell and the target manages to save against it, that doesn't actually mean the wizard sucks, it means that they sent the target scrambling and they barely got through unscathed. The fact that the target makes the save (rather than making the wizard make a roll and miss) means that the wizard is still getting to be Super Wizard, the target just got particularly lucky.

I wasn't joking

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ProfessorCirno posted:

If I recall the whole "HP" thing also came from the same naval wargame, which is why combat in D&D - and combat in almost every other ttg since because this hobby is little more then copy the leader followed by TRADITION! - is more or less two sides broadsiding each other and seeing who survives the volley.

I know GURPS doesn't do init like this, but lol if you play systems with init rules anyway

• Locked thread