Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sails of Glory's damage mechanic is that you shoot at an opponent's ship, and the opponent pulls the appropriate amount of whatever coloured damage chits from the bag (any of which could be "no damage"). Different ranges or types of fire cause the opponent to pull different colored damage chits.

WHFRP3 has a "wounds" thing where you pull cards from a deck when you take certain types/thresholds of damage and then nasty things happen to you because Warhammer.

Combining those two ideas might work pretty well for a D&D-like game. Weapons could do 1-2-3-4 cards worth of damage, cards could be "0 damage, 1 damage, 2 damage, 1 damage and draw again" or whatever. Armour could say stuff like "ignore the highest damage card drawn" or "convert the highest damage card drawn to 1 damage", magic weapons could be "the lowest damage card drawn is converted to X" or "any 2 damage card drawn gains Stun" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'd probably lean towards simplifying the cards instead of making the deck more complex, and having the complexity come from your character (eg, hits fill boxes on your sheet, which has an effect. The effect is determined by your character class or something else unique to you).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The thing where you RP yourselves and <thing goes down> can be fun as hell if the person running the game starts asking questions like "Dave, when <thing went down>, which of your latent magical powers did it activate?" and "Shelly, what's the secret thing you've been building in your shed and how is it going to help?"

Roleplaying as myself in a party of my friends in an apocalypse scenario would be boring (and short). Roleplaying myself with mutant powers in a party of my friends who are now wizards and robots in an apocalypse scenario sounds like a fun (if stupid) game.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zurui posted:

Obsessing over stats in that scenario is so weird.

...oh, right, I get it. Yes, statting yourself up as a D&D character is an awful idea that will, one way or another, end up being loving stupid. That's not how I was thinking about this at all. If that's what people are talking about then I 100% agree with everyone who hates the idea.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

do what every action movie does with an average joe character: exaggerated competence.

Yeah, this is more like what I've been thinking the discussion was about. Even so, writing a D&D or WoD character sheet isn't the way to go about it. You want a lighter system where you don't have to write down STR:18 Skills: Computer Repair, Longsword, Comedy Baking, Military Demolitions to make a character.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

If I woke up and had superpowers I'd still be me, which means I wouldn't rush off to fight Nazis and aliens, I'd probably try to leverage my sweet superpowers to make a zillion dollars and retire young.

That would be my response, sure. That would probably be most people's response. I'm sure a few would become masked vigilantes (because there's always that guy), but yeah I'd definitely want to get rich and live a life of luxury instead of fight crime, nazis, aliens, or do anything else that would make people want to kill me.

Kai Tave posted:

But because doing that would basically be the "I sit at home and do nothing" option

No it wouldn't. A session of "how did you get rich quick with your superhuman <thing>" (which would be fun!), then cut to "undead nazis (aliens, illuminati, vampires, evil government agency) have noticed you and want to cut you up for their supersoldier research program" or whatever other of the many dude-with-superpowers-doesn't-get-to-relax storylines you want to go with.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 9, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zurui posted:

"It was all a dream" could make for a fun meta-device for a roleplaying game. You and your friends share a dream and then wake up in the real world.

You and your friends are trapped in a full-immersion VR superheroes video game. You make it out, but it's given you the powers you had in the game in the real world. I'd be amazed if there isn't already a comic book about this.

ProfessorCirno posted:

If I and some buds were reading a magic book and got teleported to a fantasy world the last thing I'd do is just sit back and do nothing. That's a clear sign that it's time for some adventures.

Have you read The Magicians?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's really worth a read. I'd stop at the first one though.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mad Jaqk posted:

If you still have the powers, I'd say there's a 100% chance you're still trapped in the game. Could still be an interesting situation.

"Or are you?" would be driving the plot, yeah.

As far as RPG scenarios go, "you're trapped in a video game and can't escape" and "you've escaped from a video game and retained your powers" both seem pretty interesting.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly, in my experience D&D is pretty terrible at running games that ever do more than occasionally flirt with seriousness. I mean, the number of games I've been in that were even semi-serious could probably be counted on one hand, but I feel like something about D&D just inherently leads to, well, what you've got going right now.

Yeah, this.

My favorite example is the start of a Planescape-ish campaign I ran back in 2e which was supposed to be about trying to prevent Ragnarok. The story I'd sketched out was pretty grim. By the end of the second session the PCs decided to form a traveling murdercircus. I'm not even kidding, they decided to form a traveling circus as part of their "cover" (they had no reason to be secretive) because of a lie the bard told in the first session which spiraled out of control. So I ditched the gently caress out of the serious story and the game was about an interplanar traveling circus where the performers were also mercenaries and assassins. It was great.

I'm not sure why D&D specifically is prone to this kind of thing, but games I run or play in do consistently lean toward silly rather than serious, regardless of the original intent.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What's an example of a game with good "genre enforcement mechanics"?

I think I get what that would look like, I just can't think of any good examples.

e: I guess both Dread and Fiasco count? There's nothing in either of those games that prevents lightheartedness, but the way the rules are set up seems to discourage it pretty well. Or in the case of Fiasco, encourages the kind of silliness inherent in the source material.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 14, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I love Dungeon World a lot, but in what way would it mechanically enforce "non-silly fantasy adventure"? Or is your point that its genre is "slightly-to-very silly fantasy adventure"?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

poo poo wait I'm actually going to take that back about Dungeon World. Last time I played we set it up for kinda silly (He Who Thirsts Below is going to drink the concept of booze and leave the world forever sober) and it ended up actually being pretty heroic and tense. Thinking about it, every time I play DW it ends up pretty heroic and tense, regardless of the seriousness of the actual plot.

e: Slightly related, my absolute favorite thing about DW is watching someone who hasn't played, but has played lots of D&D, realising that you can Defy Danger more or less however you like. The most memorable example I can think of is the player of the druid (in bear form) realising that he can narrate arrows just sticking harmlessly in his fur (DD:con) while he mauls goblins instead of saying "I dodge". I've never seen that guy grin so much.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 14, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The thing that shits me about the plane of Salt (or Ash, or Dust, or whatever) is that in the Planescape DM's book there's about 5 times as much page space devoted to each of those than to any given layer of Baator, and most of them still don't manage to tell you anything you couldn't figure out from "a plane of salt exists".

e: There's one that has a super evocative image in it, I forget which, but it's got the crumbling Last Fortress of Whoever projecting out into the plane of vacuum (or the negative plane?) from the previous plane. I feel like each of the semi-demi-hemi-elemental planes could have been described in the format of a single sentence that mentions a cool feature, inhabitant, or aspect.

Like the bit earlier about the mer-mummies swimming through the memory of water. Or something like "The very oldest and best dwarven forges on various worlds are actually portals to the plane of Magma, that's why they're guarded with the arrow-slits facing inward".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

Meanwhile on the note of simulationism, over in the Shadowrun forums, someone is getting sad that their need to make the proper immersive world has excluded PCs existing, and has yet to realize what the actual flaw here is.

Simulationism is the idea that the best game is the one you can never play.

It is the death of actual gaming.

Can you post a link? I really want to read this.

• Locked thread