Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think it's more like complaining that Star Wars RPGs sucked in the 2000s because there was a new book or comic or animated series being released all the drat time and it was difficult to keep up with the canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I don't understand what part of "playing as an idealized version of yourself" is not "playing as yourself." I mean, B⊆A. Seriously.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kai Tave posted:

Because I don't have superpowers and even by the most generous stretching of the imagination I don't possess a fraction of the sorts of skills and affinities that your typical RPG protagonist is assumed to have on hand. Adding those things to an expy of myself is perfectly possible, but at that point what is it I'm gaining by pretending that the superpowered, adventure-capable character that bears increasingly little resemblance to the person sitting at the table is actually me?

You guys keep throwing the term "typical RPG protagonist" around and I'm confused. Do you mean that you can't see yourself as the protagonist in a story, or that you can't see yourself donning a costume of some sort and facing villains/monsters/existential threats to humanity? I just don't see how you can pigeonhole yourself as "not an RPG character" when there are as many sorts of RPG player characters as there are stars in the sky.

Really, it's about accepting genre conventions. If you're playing a noir game and a beautiful woman walks into your life and needs someone to solve a mystery, you don't just go "well, I don't have the requisite ranks in Mystery Solving for that." You go and try to solve the loving mystery. If it's the zombie apocalypse then you grab a shotgun and an axe and fight your way out of the city. If you're bitten by a radioactive duck and gain immunity to water and flight, then you go save people.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

ProfessorCirno posted:

I feel there's two entirely different discussions here, because when I think of "playing myself" in a game where you become rad superheroes or get teleported into a fantasy land to become an acrobat, I don't think of literally stating out intelligence or whatever, I think of "Ok I have these sweet superpowers or whatever but I still think like me."

Like what sort of physical or mental stats I would have never even enters the equation. I'm this superhero who's super strong or super fast, or I'm this cool thief who can steal anything, but with "Cirno" as their personality.

That's what I was trying to get out; trying to stat yourself out is a thing I probably a game I wouldn't want to play. But that's not the only way to play yourself. Playing myself as this awesome protagonist who's also still totally me? That's a whole different story.

ProfessorCirno made the reply I would have. It's a grown-up version of play pretend, just like every other RPG experience. "What would life be like if I was in an awesome fictional situation?" is an interesting diversion. Obsessing over stats in that scenario is so weird.

If you really can't imagine a world where you're in shape, have useful skills, and can go on an adventure, then I don't know. That makes me really sad. I think everyone could contribute something. Also, part of the fun could be gaining those skills! Failure is at least as interesting as success, after all. Having a family to take care of or a regular life to maintain sounds like an awesome roleplaying opportunity.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, this was my point from earlier. If you're playing an idealized, exaggerated version of yourself in a world that runs on action movie logic it's not like you're really playing "you" so much anymore.

How is it any less "you"? To borrow from Eclipse Phase, if I sleeve you into Indiana Jones' body, it's still you. If you go on an adventure in that body to save the Staff of Destiny from Nazis in colonial India, you're still on that adventure, doing those things.

AmiYumi posted:

Imagine what Reddit and 4chan would look like if the world were suddenly Exalted

just...imagine. :magical:

DON'T DO THAT

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

AmiYumi posted:

At a certain point, I feel like the disconnect would make sense; a lot of RPGs sort of function on (lucid) dream logic. "There's no way this could be real, let's have some fun with it."

"It was all a dream" could make for a fun meta-device for a roleplaying game. You and your friends share a dream and then wake up in the real world.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

grassy gnoll posted:

In fairness, the wizard also lives in mortal terror of the house cat until he has a few counts of felony murder to his name.

The wizard was pretty certain the goblin had a weapon. What was he supposed to do, tell the filthy creature to stand down? He's risking his life here!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

AmiYumi posted:

Please don't. I already have to ration how much time I spend in D&D lately to avoid :suicide:, let me keep elfgame-chat a pleasant diversion.

No, I understand. I don't play dungeon crawl games as it is because of the implications. Sorry if I offended :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

KittyEmpress posted:

Two were Exalted, two were Hunter, one was an L5R game where the concept was 'you're standing around a tabletop game when suddenly arms reach out and drag you into the book. You wake up just outside the Shadowlands clad in samurai gear.' which was pretty fuckin' great as a concept, but sucked in execution. But you get what I mean - they always became a shitshow of the nerdy people going 'well I'm the smartest and wisest IRL so i'm the smartest i can be in the game')

I think World of Darkness games are particularly poor choices for this. They tend to attract people with the worst social tendencies, and the stats are so nebulous that everyone thinks they have Driving 3 because they totally drift and people start arguing about Intelligence vs. Wits and gently caress you guys I'm just going to go play my DS until you are ready to play. It's amusing because a core conceit of the game is that you can start out as mortals and then get converted into whatever.

The L5R game sounds fun, though. Navigating that culture blind would be a blast. Nerds ruin everything.

• Locked thread