Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

unseenlibrarian posted:

The best houserule you can make for 7th sea is to just rule that 'if you spend a drama die on other things it converts immediately to XP' so you don't have to choose between "Can swash bucklers" and "Can improve stats"

Actually the best houserule for 7th Sea is All Aliens All The Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Just FYI all of you would have Driving ** or *** in old world of darkness, suck it.

(Unless you are a city-slicker I guess??)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

s t a t y o u r s e l f a n d f a c e t o b l o o d s h e d

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I see that many of you are interested in an RPG that allows you to play adorable monsters. Have you given my friend, BASIC EXPERT COMPANION MASTER IMMORTAL: ORCS OF THAR a try?!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The plane of salt ruled, sorry. If you never played a Salt Mephit in your childhood D&D games I really feel for you.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If there is no plane of salt then where does water go when someone is dessicated? No mere mortal salt could absorb the water of every desiccated mummy and umber hulk in the prime material plane. Checkmate, Demiplailures.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kai Tave posted:

It turns out that someone's masturbatory attempt at creating a "real, verisimilitudinous" setting feels fake too, because no game writer that fancies himself Tolkien is actually Tolkien and so all these settings full of extraneous details like the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Salt just wind up like those character backstories from that one guy, you know the one, who wrote like 15 pages detailing his character's life story down to the history of each individual scar and pimple, literally none of which ever came up in the six sessions you played before Bob got bored and decided he'd rather run something else. Stacking a bunch of dumb, pointless poo poo into your setting doesn't make it feel any more "real" no matter how much die-hard simulationists rail against making things "too gameable," it just feels like someone crammed a bunch of stuff together because that's how you make settings, right? Just layer on the fake places and fake names and meandering backstory with a trowel until you hit critical mass.

This all reminds me of the ongoing LP of Killzone, a bad and boring game that through the power of hype managed to inexplicably spawn an entire franchise. I played Killzone years and years ago and I never even realized until the LPer brought it up that the people who made Killzone penned this elaborate backstory for the game, an entire historical timeline chronicling everything from the near-present day future to the point at which the game itself begins, all of which was hosted on a now-defunct website for people to peruse.

And literally none of it matters at all. Not a single loving part of this sprawling historical saga they penned to set the stage for their epic tale of the generic white guy army versus anime space Nazis ever comes up in the game. It's all completely and utterly pointless. It doesn't get referenced, it doesn't impact the story, it never informs gameplay, nothing. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person who played Killzone and never even knew about this stuff either, and even if Killzone's myriad technical flaws were somehow obviated and it turned into a smooth and tightly polished game it would still be nothing but a generic, soulless shootman if ever there was one with a completely pointless, tacked-on backstory trailing behind it like toilet paper stuck to its shoe.

Kai Tave this is a picture of two tradgames critics who were turned into a pillar of salt much like LOT (a noted anti-gygaxian), for disparaging God's Own quasi-elemental planes.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kai Tave posted:

They look like LARPers so good riddance.

"Sir," he said, "talk about the Shadowfell as much as you like. You seem to me colder than a lump of stone; but I am willing to believe that you may at some time have loved a Shadar-Kai, or a Shade, or a Vampire. When you were a baby, I suppose you loved the Domains of Dread. Talk about the shadowfell, then, till the world is sick of the word. But don't you talk about Quasi-Elemental Plane of Salt. Don't you dare to say one word, white or black, about it. The Quasi-Elemental Plane of Salt is, as far as you are concerned, a horrible mystery. Keep clear of it, keep silent upon it, as you would upon an abomination. It is a thing that has made men slay and torture each other; and you will never know why. It is a thing that has made men do evil that good might come; and you will never understand the evil, let alone the good. The Quasi-Elemental Plane of Salt is a thing that could only make you vomit, till you are other than you are. I would not justify it to you even if I could. Hate it, in God's name, as Kai Tave does, who is a man. It is a monstrous thing, for which men die. And if you will stand here and talk about salt for another ten minutes it is very probable that you will see a man die for it."

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I found a William Gibson interview that has a relevant section re: Gameable content:

William Gibson posted:

I remember these guys turned up from RPG company after Neuromancer came out – they wanted to make a game. They set me down and questioned me about the world. They asked me where the food in the Sprawl comes from. I said I don't know. I don't even know what they eat. A lot of krill and poo poo. They looked at each other and said it's not gamable. That was the end of it.

The Peripheral is not gameable. It has a very high resolution surface. But it's not hyperrealistic down into the bones of some imaginary world. I think that would be pointless. It would be like one of those non-existent Borgesian encyclopedias that describe everything about an imaginary place and all of it is self-contradictory.

Just think, we could have had a Neuromancer RPG if only the designers had been able to come up with a quasi-element plane of krill and poo poo.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Plague of Hats posted:

I haven't read them, but the author Shannon Applecline clearly goes to a lot of work putting together stuff like that. He puts out a "year in review for RPGs" every year for RPGnet.

Watch out for fascist mind control revisionism in the books, according to our good friend who never read them, the Pundit.

What, does Shannon say that Unknown Armies was a good RPG or something?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's quite good, I've read through most of it, and it has a lot of informative chunks. Shannon Applecine really does his homework, and there's a lot of details on companies that would otherwise be forgotten despite their influence on the hobby, or modern companies that rarely get their due. Occasionally the histories devolve into "they released this which was important because of this, and they released this, and then they released this-", but I really feel like my $60 was well-spent.

What does Shannon say about his book, the Gloranthan supplement for how to play Elves in the Runequest glorantha variants?

imho it was quite good and also great if you ever want to roleplay a sylvari in your Basic Roleplaying derived rpg

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

You know, I never considered nightvision something that would really weigh into racial choices in Dungeons and Dragons. Everquest though? Who would play a barbarian when you can't see at night! At least the best character type, Erudite Necromancer, could get night vision amulets pretty quickly.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I actually have a picture of two wizards writing down the rules of magic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Lightning Lord posted:

Well he is a writer on Torment: Tides of Numenara, so it's impossible for him to be unfamiliar with the game. I don't know if I'd consider myself a fan of Numenara (although it's possbile I'll get more interested in the setting since I am a huge fan of Torment and Avellone in general) I certainly don't feel excited about the system. However I do like how it's acting as sort of a gateway to the wider RPG world for many people who only have had D&D on their radar. Sort of an "Oh yeah, there are other RPGs aren't there?" thanks to it being a creation of Cook. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but that's the reaction I've seen.

Numenara looks like the sort of cute, low-maintenance RPG that I would play with my group when we want a break from our main RPG but don't want to invest in a crunchy system.

• Locked thread