Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Yawgmoth posted:

Currently my L5R game is set in the "who gives a drat" era, with emperor Not Personally Relevant.
Always the best way to run L5R. Hell, we would always just mash up the various eras on the basis of "what do people want to play?" Sometimes the answer comes up "a gaijin diplomat, a Daidoji Harrier, a shadow-branded Scorpion, and a Firefly clan bushi", and who even cares if that makes sense?

EDIT:
Yeah, if I wanted the "play scrubs who barely scrape by" approach, there's better games for that, like Warhammer. Yet there's this vocal group that feels like that's what *every* game needs to be. I was flipping through old gaming mags recently and was just baffled by all the advertising for the d20 Star Wars RPG: just huge shots of crowds of stormtroopers or ewoks or w/e, and an arrow pointing all "YOU CAN PLAY THIS FACELESS MOOK". Who does that appeal to?

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

It's totally ridiculous and very fun, but I'm sure there's a whole pack of sperglords out there who would howl endlessly about it because we aren't playing exactly to the stereotypes as written.
I just don't get it, especially because L5R character creation (at least back when we were playing) seems designed to make completely insane characters. Like, one of the best games I ran had a character that Heritage Table and Inheritance rolls made such a mess of I *should* have overruled them, according to the sperglords. I let the player explain it, and he eagerly took some flaws about "no sense of direction" and "constantly mistaken for other people"; we decided his nonsense background was just him getting lost, showing up in the wrong place at the right time, and being too polite to ever correct anyone - by the time anyone realized he wasn't REALLY the Mirumoto sensei, or the diplomat whose arranged marriage took place that day, or whatever else, there was too much face to be lost all around by not just keeping the lie going. He tried to make a nice little samurai who just wanted to tend to his daimyo's fish, and ended up with a snowballing reputation of greatness he tried his hardest to live up to.

[Edit:] Same game had lesser CC weirdness, where a character who started out trying make a "good cop" magistrate ended up playing an opium-addicted, shadow-branded, bitter shell of a man who was the only player to survive the campaign with his original character. Those tables were as wonky as they were fun.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 5, 2014

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I just gave them out for free (Inheritance rolls too, whatever those were called), minimum 1, maximum 3, decide how many you want before you start rolling (and make your rolls after you come up with a concept but before assigning skills, because we learned what those tables did to concepts). When they came up weird I gave players the option to invert their dice, reassign their rolls, whatever; all-in-all they were fun enough we tried copying them for other games, to limited success.

I also had the "friendly kansen" thing come up, in one of the first games of L5R I ran. In my case, it was a Ronin - descended from the Lion, I think? - with no knowledge of spirit-ey stuff at all. So when she started getting helpful advice from the spirit of her Grandfather...long story short, that character quickly bulked up into a combat monster, eventually realizing she had the Shadowlands Taint when her eyes exploded into green flame. Thanks, char-gen!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I once played in a game of World of Darkness game where one of the other guys was playing himself, albeit a version of himself 10-15 years in the future that managed to be both too pessimistic (single, still living where he grew up) and too optimistic (graduated from law school) at the same time.

I played Yamcha from Dragon Ball. :shrug:

His character's first action was to show Dragon Ball to my character and completely mindfuck him, which definitely made for interesting roleplaying.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

SageNytell posted:

Nobody has mentioned RPPR yet and that makes me sad. They are just dandy for Actual Plays, and it's run by local goon ClockworkJoe!

Edit:
"What do you do when the exterminator is late?"
Aren't they the guys that did the reading of "Achey-Breaky Mythos"?

I put that on during chargen for CthulhuTech. :allears:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

The longer this argument goes on, the more I'm seeing an underlying attempt to justify hiding away your life in a bubble. Like, I look back on the people I've gamed with, and I could absolutely see them as at least a group of Hunter: The Reckoning characters: we've had a doctor, a lawyer, gun nuts, survivalists, techies, Ren Fair groupies, ex-military, jack-of-all-trades, librarians, teachers, belted martial artists...just a big ol' mess of skillsets and personalities, like you encounter when interacting with other people in the world. I've been in sessions where 3/4 of the group was knitting while gaming, myself included. :wooper:

Upset about your group being a bunch of pasty IT guys? Go do something about it. Learn a skill, go camping, whatever you want. It shouldn't even be a hard sell, just dress it up in some kind of "zombie apocalypse" justification; nerds eat that poo poo right up.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Just so I'm clear, I should go camping so next time I stat myself up in an RPG, I have a camping skill?
No, You (the general "You") should go outside of Your comfort zone sometimes because Your first reaction to "stat yourself up as an RPG character!" displays a degree of self-loathing and self-sabotage that is endemic to a specific kind of nerd. "I'm just a pasty computer nerd, so I can't/won't..." as a catch-all excuse; the classic Depressive vicious cycle.

All of SA, apparently posted:

BUT BUT BUT I HATE CAMPING
So don't go loving camping, christ.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

My past few posts have been needlessly hostile. Yes.

It comes from a place of frustration. I spent last night dealing with a friend - who I used to game with - doing the "I hate my life, I hate my job, I hate being single, but change is scary and might not go perfectly so I'll give up in advance and wallow in self-pity" dance, with a side of "psychologists just take your money and hook you on pills, I'm smarter than them so I don't need to see one besides they're for crazy people and I'm not crazy".

Basically, this:

Just without the robots or naked clone moms.

Libertad! posted:

The other pertinent question is, how many dots in History (Japan) do you get from watching 10 years' worth of anime?

Evil Mastermind posted:

None. You actually owe the game three dots.
I love you guys. :allears:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Tollymain posted:

no i'm pretty sure waking up in exalted's world is just extra reason to roll over and die
Imagine what Reddit and 4chan would look like if the world were suddenly Exalted

just...imagine. :magical:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

The disconnect is the idea that I'd suddenly have this totally different personality. Which is the opposite of what I'm saying! Why on earth would I suddenly have this totally different personality?
At a certain point, I feel like the disconnect would make sense; a lot of RPGs sort of function on (lucid) dream logic. "There's no way this could be real, let's have some fun with it."

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

We all live in the shadow of Patches the Destroyer.
Where/what is your avatar from? It's a very...unique take on the character.

Zurui posted:

The wizard was pretty certain the goblin had a weapon. What was he supposed to do, tell the filthy creature to stand down? He's risking his life here!
Please don't. I already have to ration how much time I spend in D&D lately to avoid :suicide:, let me keep elfgame-chat a pleasant diversion.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Zurui posted:

No, I understand. I don't play dungeon crawl games as it is because of the implications. Sorry if I offended :(
No, it's cool. Just wanted to head things off before it went any further in that direction.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's a prolific Japanese voice actor named Sugita from when he was on Persona Stalker Club. He dressed up like Yukiko when they were playing Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Sugita as in "Tokyo Encounter" Sugita?

...internet says "yes". New show to watch, yay!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

Here's a game where you could play yourself guiltfree: pokeymans
Pretty sure most of us here aren't 11, actually.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

To continue being anime, I feel that a good tone for human/Pokémon interaction would be the one the Persona series tries to present. Going up against a shadow/wild-pokémon without a persona/trained-pokémon is a delaying tactic, where your best hope is to drive it away or distract it so you can run away. You know, because you're hopelessly outmatched in terms of strength, like an 11-year-old against a bear or something.

Of course, as soon as you have that persona/pokémon to stand in front of you, you effectively cease to be a target. Because that's just how it works. :shrug:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I'd also be all for a game that went full-retard in the other direction, ending up in some sort of mashup of JoJo's and this:

Just build Pokémon PCs exactly the same way as Trainer PCs. Refuse to ever acknowledge the "hey, isn't that just a guy in a suit?" thing. PC names must come from this list.

[Edit:]
@Ewen Cluney: I've been wondering, do you still have any contact with Kamiya? Has he had any reaction/impressions to how the English-speaking world has taken to his games, or to any of the new stuff you and others have made for them?

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 11, 2014

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Elfgames posted:

I know this isn't the point but 3 dots in WOD is average so that would be perfectly fine.
:eng101: That's for Attributes. Three dots in an Ability (Talent/Skill/Knowledge) is supposed to represent "could do this for a living" level skill, IIRC (except for Knowledges, pretty sure the bar there is 4 dots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Libertad! posted:

No no no, the Gaming Den argues that before the adventure for the PCs takes place the GM rolls attacks, skill checks, and saving throws for his NPCs before the adventure starts.

So if that evil sorcerer rolls a Natural 1 on his casting roll in his plot to kidnap the princess and gets killed by the city guard, then the adventure doesn't happen.

Yes, I legitimately saw this argued there once.
One of the Pathfinder adventure paths has this; whatever the bad guy's plan was, it centered around casting a spell from a scroll with a Use Magic Device check (or something, I don't remember the details). If you were thinking "how loving groggy a GM would you have to be to actually make that roll straight", well, it's written right there into the "villain tactics" section what to do when your bad guy stands up, makes his "JUST AS PLANNED" speech, then nothing happens and he awkwardly shuffles out of the room, never to be seen again.

• Locked thread