Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

inklesspen posted:

This looks really good, but I don't know any of the names listed. James Stuart, Mark Diaz Truman, Jessica Hammer, Lillian Cohen-Moore, and Lizzie Stark. What should I know about them?

I don't know about the others but Lizzie Stark has some great stuff out there about Nordic LARP. Her one book chapter called "we hold these rules to be self evident" is pretty great.

http://nordiclarp.org/wiki/States_of_Play:_Nordic_Larp_Around_the_World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

For me, 2014 was the year of buying everything I lost / sold in a long spiral down to homelessness while I was in college.

Holy poo poo was some of it expensive. Between Avalon Hill's Dune, planescape boxed sets, 7th Sea, L5R, Shadowrun, CoC, and old (and new) d&d, I had to have spent around 10k this year on traditional gaming stuff.

It is amazing to be in a spot to do stuff like this after fighting for so long to find food to eat. Now I'm here at the end of a PhD program, directing an online bachelors program, and have generally found a really happy life.

I even started to get back into design after not having done any games writing since like 2001. It is amazing how much everything has changed.

One thing I am interested in in 2015 are games like Dog Eat Dog. In much the same way as video game design is fighting with academia, pen and paper games are in a super strange way with academia. I am really anxious to see what happens this year.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Quarex posted:

PuttyKnife, have you told your story somewhere? Downward spiral to homelessness plus having the money to afford $10,000 on gaming in one year sounds like a pretty interesting tale.

Also I enjoyed reading this Ethan Gilsdorf 5th Edition piece and seeing that 4th Edition will apparently always be remembered by history as "the video-game one."

Maybe in a few years once i finish my dissertation i'll go back and write a "coming of age" tale. Most of this began on 9/11/2001 and hit rock bottom around 2005/6.

It's a pretty e/n tale filled with a crack addicted, pregnant girlfriend; high stakes bookstore thefts; stealing food to live; sneaking showers in at the student health center or apartments that were being cleaned; and pretty well leaving all leisure pursuits behind in order to try and get through classes.

By 2010 I was in the process of finishing my bachelors. By 2014, I was on my way to finishing my PhD and had basically achieved more than my parents had together. It felt pretty great though a lot of that emotional stuff has stuck around.

There was a particular New Year's where I decided to pay :10bux: (I had stolen from an unlocked coke machine and put into my bank account in order to dodge an overdraft fee) to register for SA. I wanted to learn more about how to be a normal person again so I basically paid to read the "You Look Like poo poo" forum (odd in retrospect). At that point, I had basically devolved to like 2 pairs of shorts and 3 plain shirts.

I'm almost sad I never got in to drugs but i really never had money to so I guess that's great. Ah, memories!

• Locked thread