Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Spicy Guacamole posted:

What the gently caress, this is the second time in as many semesters that classes have been magically bumped from my course load right before the semester starts without notifying me, and once again, one of them is now full. Both times, these are classes that I can't afford to not be taking right now. Some fuckhead in the registrar's office is gonna get the rear end chewing of a lifetime tomorrow because this poo poo is loving ridiculous. Happy loving new year, assholes.

Make sure you rant about their freedoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
STOLEN VALOR

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Spicy Guacamole posted:

What the gently caress, this is the second time in as many semesters that classes have been magically bumped from my course load right before the semester starts without notifying me, and once again, one of them is now full. Both times, these are classes that I can't afford to not be taking right now. Some fuckhead in the registrar's office is gonna get the rear end chewing of a lifetime tomorrow because this poo poo is loving ridiculous. Happy loving new year, assholes.

There's an art to this that goes greatly under-appreciated. I learned it at work from my brother and one of our other guys who used to be an interrogator. You start very nice, very calm and even a little apologetic. Give them a soft spoken opportunity to fix the issue without any hassle at all, if/when it becomes clear they cannot ask to speak to someone over their head and explain, calmly, that you are very upset and the issue isn't their fault and you appreciate their help. They will go and get their boss.

When the boss comes, once more calmly explain the issue and ask for their assistance in fixing it, if/when they make it clear they won;t assist, go 0-60 on them, ramp up the aggressive wording and cantor in your voice, do not break eye contact and make sure you're looking down on them like you would a dog that just poo poo on the rug. When they show the first sign of nervousness or fear, open all the way up and get creative with your insults, keep your voice just under a shout as you make this person 100% aware that you hold them in lower regard than the little starving kids in Africa that make me laugh whenever they come on TV with a old white dude talking about running water. Make them feel sub-human because of their incompetence and lack or nerve, without letting them open their mouth without making them feel worse, and then when you feel you have gotten your point across, downshift right back to calm and kind.

It kinda requires you to be a little sociopathic to pull off, but with practice anyone can do it, it literally breaks people who aren't used to direct confrontation without doing anything that's not legal or even ethical, while pretty much making them terrified of letting you down.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Booblord Zagats posted:

There's an art to this that goes greatly under-appreciated. I learned it at work from my brother and one of our other guys who used to be an interrogator. You start very nice, very calm and even a little apologetic. Give them a soft spoken opportunity to fix the issue without any hassle at all, if/when it becomes clear they cannot ask to speak to someone over their head and explain, calmly, that you are very upset and the issue isn't their fault and you appreciate their help. They will go and get their boss.

When the boss comes, once more calmly explain the issue and ask for their assistance in fixing it, if/when they make it clear they won;t assist, go 0-60 on them, ramp up the aggressive wording and cantor in your voice, do not break eye contact and make sure you're looking down on them like you would a dog that just poo poo on the rug. When they show the first sign of nervousness or fear, open all the way up and get creative with your insults, keep your voice just under a shout as you make this person 100% aware that you hold them in lower regard than the little starving kids in Africa that make me laugh whenever they come on TV with a old white dude talking about running water. Make them feel sub-human because of their incompetence and lack or nerve, without letting them open their mouth without making them feel worse, and then when you feel you have gotten your point across, downshift right back to calm and kind.

It kinda requires you to be a little sociopathic to pull off, but with practice anyone can do it, it literally breaks people who aren't used to direct confrontation without doing anything that's not legal or even ethical, while pretty much making them terrified of letting you down.

Incidentally, this is also good advice for a first date.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Also, dont be afraid to bust out the line, "Ok, obviously you are incompetent. Let me talk to someone who can fire you."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The VA issued a direct deposit payment for $0.01 today. I think they're loving with me. I also owe them money because they overpaid me by $166 last year.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

That happened to me back in the spring. The computer up and decided one day that I was academically suspended due to low completion rate/ and bumped me out of all my classes. Once that got straightened out instead of just forcing me back in my classes they stuck me on waitlists. I never did get back in one of the classes so they stuck me in the online version, now I hate online classes but on the other hand that gave me 2 more days off every week.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

holocaust bloopers posted:

The VA issued a direct deposit payment for $0.01 today. I think they're loving with me. I also owe them money because they overpaid me by $166 last year.

Thats like the year I got a tax return for $0.13. It cost more in postage to mail the check than they were refunding me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I call those "principle checks" because often those piddly bullshit penny checks are the result of an argument and even though I probably won't drag it to the loving bank to drop off I sure as gently caress want the drat thing because it's the principle of the matter, and they can gently caress themselves.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

A buddy was telling me today that you can get reimbursed for the Montgomery GI bill pay-in if you used the post 9/11 GI bill, but I thought that money was long gone. Is this bullshit, a recent change, or have I just somehow missed this detail for the past 5 years?

It is 100% true. I exhausted my post 9/11 and they paid me the 1200 back. This is about 2-3 years ago

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnLSkIOlrAQ

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

justice4trayvawn posted:

It is 100% true. I exhausted my post 9/11 and they paid me the 1200 back. This is about 2-3 years ago

I exhausted mine, too. I'll have to go back and check bank statements to see if they refunded it or not.

edit: did it get direct deposited like BAH or did it get bounced through the school?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 31, 2014

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Countdown until I see that on facebook.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
STDs: 1000%

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

No heart?!?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Also, dont be afraid to bust out the line, "Ok, obviously you are incompetent. Let me talk to someone who can fire you."

lmbo are you one of those douches that thinks threatening someones livelihood over being mildly inconvenienced will somehow work out in your favor?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

lmbo are you one of those douches that thinks threatening someones livelihood over being mildly inconvenienced will somehow work out in your favor?

No, I have never used it with school, but have with companies like Sprint. It shocks the person and normally gets results.
It could be that I am polite and respectful, then reach my point of, "No, gently caress you. Put me on the phone with someone who has some loving authority."

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Who gives a gently caress if I piss in some minimum wage slave monkey's cheerios. FYGM.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im all for going up a level to try getting free poo poo or whatever, but if youre telling someone youre gonna have their job, not only are you an insufferable piece of poo poo, youre retarded too. unless the dude took a swing at you or started cussing you out, theres no loving way hes getting fired cuz your panties are in a twist

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It was joke post dude. I've never yelled at anyone on the phone because yeah, its completely counter productive and only makes you look like a raving moron.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm always extremely nice and patient with people no matter how low on the totem pole they are and in turn they're nice and go out of their way to help me because I'm the first person of the last 100 to treat them like a human being :shrug:

Then I ask to speak to their supervisor/whatever to tell them how helpful and attentive they were :kiddo:

Can't salvage the old sassy black ladies that followed me from MEPS to the VA though :nyd:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

It was joke post dude. I've never yelled at anyone on the phone because yeah, its completely counter productive and only makes you look like a raving moron.

no jokes allowed in this serious thread for stern men <:mad:>

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah nice joke

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i'm a horrible poster and I think I'm just going to quit :smith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

No heart?!?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

quote:

After the Vietnam War, the press and the public went too far in blaming the military for what was a top-to-bottom failure of strategy and execution. But the military itself recognized its own failings, and a whole generation of reformers looked to understand and change the culture. In 1978, a military-intelligence veteran named Richard A. Gabriel published, with Paul L. Savage, Crisis in Command: Mismanagement in the Army, which traced many of the failures in Vietnam to the military’s having adopted a bureaucratized management style. Three years later, a broadside called Self-Destruction: The Disintegration and Decay of the United States Army During the Vietnam Era, by a military officer writing under the pen name Cincinnatus (later revealed to be a lieutenant colonel serving in the reserves as a military chaplain, Cecil B. Currey), linked problems in Vietnam to the ethical and intellectual shortcomings of the career military. The book was hotly debated—but not dismissed. An article about the book for the Air Force’s Air University Review said that “the author’s case is airtight” and that the military’s career structure “corrupts those who serve it; it is the system that forces out the best and rewards only the sycophants.”

This book was written in 1981. Nothing loving changes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
God bless lazy federal workers. Shutting down at 1:30 today, federal holiday tomorrow, telework day Friday, then the weekend.

I can't work if the client doesn't work so :tipshat:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Christoff posted:

I'm always extremely nice and patient with people no matter how low on the totem pole they are and in turn they're nice and go out of their way to help me because I'm the first person of the last 100 to treat them like a human being :shrug:

Then I ask to speak to their supervisor/whatever to tell them how helpful and attentive they were :kiddo:

Can't salvage the old sassy black ladies that followed me from MEPS to the VA though :nyd:

I do this too, and it works pretty much always, except with the bitch who wouldn't reduce my toll road charges from Illinois, she can go gently caress herself, 140.00 in late fees for $10 worth of tolls.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have only had to act like a raving lunatic to one company- loving T-Mobile. Constant billing issues, terrible customer service (for awhile- then they got their poo poo straight) and I finally had enough after being civil and polite for like three hours. Funny enough, when I went to Sprint and they hosed something up and I couldn't get it fixed, the lady on the phone said to call back and start dropping f-bombs; she said policy was to hand off angry and profane callers up the chain, and that someone higher could fix my bill. (Probably bullshit, but it worked).

And I worked in a call center for about a year- I do feel bad for those folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Hail Satan!

• Locked thread