Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Hey, I put my best, what I thought was pretty likely guess out there and was wrong. Apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RVT posted:

Hey, I put my best, what I thought was pretty likely guess out there and was wrong. Apologies.

You'll pay for making me hopeful! :argh:

Its cool man, no worries.

Wombo
Dec 19, 2005
Fro Extraordinaire
Just put in a request. Same name.

Arrr! Etc.

ralz
Apr 7, 2009
Welcome Wombo.

I'll go ahead and contribute to the ghost ship reports. Hopefully this is helpful.

NPC: 4* Ghost Ship
Comp: 6 Juggs, 6 Brutes, 2 WD's, 17 Gunners, 2 Bombers.
Pirates lost: 4 Juggs, 5 Brutes, 15 Gunners, and both Bombers
Reward: 80,000 Grog; 2,000 EP

- All troops listed are maxed out at Academy 4, except for WD who is level 6, having skipped the +3 toughness, +1 range leg.
- This comp did not result in a warning prior to sending out the ship, and the ghost ship was the only NPC I hit on this trip. Trying to pass through 3* merchant ship or a 3* fish gave a "suicidal" warning.
- No real rationale for the bombers except that they were unused and left over from a previous raid. Based on the outcome, they probably could have been subbed out for gunners. But since I was sloppy and didn't document the comp from my prior ghost ship victory without using any bombers, I can't confidently make that statement.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
If you are trying to make a load out to specifically get ghost ships, you probably want to use Sky Raiders and priestesses. They have the perk.

Not sure just how much more effective they are though.

If we are going to see Android this week, which I think we should, the most likely night is tonight.

They haven't announced a delay, and the tease said a matter of days, over a week ago. But I was wrong about last week, so.

ralz
Apr 7, 2009
Thanks, Sky Raiders don't get the perk until Academy 5 and Priestesses aren't available until Voodoo Hut 3, neither of which I had until this afternoon (training sky raider perk now). If you're like me and you have low BP-yielding or absent fish and a severely delayed Academy 5, this comp will work. Hopefully we do get Android soon, if not tonight. Will be fun to see how much progress we make when it finally hits.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yeah that was a bit more brief than it should have been, phone postin you know.

I'd be interested to see some testing to see just how much better Skyraiders/Priestesses are than normal troops, assuming they are. If they aren't actually that much better, it would be a lot easier to just use my normal Grute raiding comp, and not have to build a specific comp just for the map.

If we're going to do a lot of testing, I'd add troop levels to the info you posted above.

When Android does release, I'll make a post as a reminder, but the protocol is basically going to be, post in the thread with your IGN (prefered), or be ready to say something sufficiently goony once you're accepted, or you may get booted if we're running up against the cap.

Crew are goons, and you'll get promoted to Crew once you identify yourself.

Cabin Boys are pubs we keep around to help fund our perks and donate troops until we can replace them all with goons.

4/8 and still no android. Kinda misleading when you put up a big Android teaser on March 27th saying it's "a matter of days" away. I mean I assume that means less than a week generally, definitely less than 2. It'll be 2 weeks from the tease on Friday, and I haven't seen any mention of a delay on the official forums.

RVT fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 9, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I just sent this loadout to the 4* Ghost Ship in V-7. Straight there avoiding other fights. We'll see how they do.

2x lvl 6 priestesses (w/o ghostbuster)
8x lvl 11 sky raider (w/ ghostbuster)
8x lvl 23 brute
17x lvl 25 gunner

I realized after I had queued this up that I didn't have Ghost Buster for the Priestesses, I skipped that whole branch to keep the grog costs down. I'm not sure how bad their grog cost spirals with upgrades, so until I find that out, I won't be getting it.

Alternatively, you could upgrade your Priestesses with the intent of only using them for Ghost Ships, and never in combat (since they are super terrible). That's another idea. They'd have to be pretty drat effective against Ghost Ships for that to make sense though.

Losses:
5 brutes
13 gunners
1 priestess
4 sky raiders

Loot:
80k grog
2k EP

RVT fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 11, 2015

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
Android release announced for April 22nd.
Just days away

Kid fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 10, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Android on April 22.

Should come with some confirmed bug fixes/updates -
* no more randomly taking from your guild boat when you donated troops
* chat log should increase from 30 to 100 messages
* filled donation requests should disappear from chat ala Clash

Just got a new News post in game, Errands are "Coming Soon in the next update". (I assume this means the Apr 22 update?)
- "...weird and wacky missions to complete, there's a great way to collect additional resources."

- so like additional single player on top of the map missions? Or are they going to be some type of daily missions?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Just applied to the guild, name Roadie.

I like this so far, but everything feels a little too small on the iPhone, like they designed the UI for the iPad and just scaled down.

Also, it's way too easy to move buildings around accidentally.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 16, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Errands added

Build Guild Hall for free from Pirate Hall 1 onwards.

Improved Guild flow (i.e. user experience from building guild hall to joining a guild).

Creating a Guild now costs gold.

Message now displayed when attempting to request Pirates And the Guild Ship is full.

Now displays “Most Popular” and “Best Value” on the gem packs.

Change way the donated Pirates active their powers. It’s now done with the donated pirates themselves.

Pirates judge distances better resulting in an improved target choice.

Cowardly pirates are now prevented from running back to their boats and fleeing battle.

Fixed issue with criss-cross path-planning.

Prevent rare instance when pirates might off and vanish.

Fixed issues with floating guild ship pirates in edit mode.

Allow more than four witch doctors to collaborate when protecting.

Fixed glitches in stun behaviour.

Prevent boats floating in replays.

Auto-reporting of divergent replays.

Prevent defences fixating on dead pirates.

Hit points on defences lowered slightly.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Tonight/this morning is Android release time apparently.

New members:
1) you can now build a town hall for free at Pirate Hall 1, right off the bat, do this.
2) go to the guild interface, the two mugs of grog in the bottom right corner, or click on the Guild Hall (I think).
3) search for 2poor4gems.
4) apply! There are no custom application messages, so...
5) post in the thread with your in game name.

Old members:
- you are able to link your iOS and Android Plunder Pirates accounts now. Go to the book and quill in the bottom left, click the gears on the top right of that menu. Click device and follow the instructions.

RVT fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 22, 2015

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
Applied as Zimmy

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008
Just applied as LakeEffectSnow

Roflcopter
Dec 21, 2004

Just applied for the guild as Grimace

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
How do I ask a mod to add "Now for Android!" to the end of the thread title?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just applied as dogstile

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Applied as Windborn

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
applied as Scipiotik

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Everyone above is accepted and promoted to show their goon status.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Just applied as Weedbeard

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Applied as Ez8

Man been waiting for this to come to Android since this thread was started.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
gently caress it, why not. Applied as Hurrhurr.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Applied as queebSA!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

In as Deathbagel, applied to guild!

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Alright, so I'm in the guild, started farming my stuffs, but is there a basic guide to getting started?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Save your gems to buy more builders, don't use them on anything else until you have all four.

Build all your buildings, but don't spend gems on decorations.

Mash pubs, take their loot, keep upgrading.

Keep sending out your boat to explore and kill mobs on the map.

Read the op there's a lot of stuff there.

That's the best I can do on my phone unless you have specific questions.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Other than one seemingly constantly respawning merchant ship, everything I encounter on the map says "Suicide" if I attempt to fight it.. bummer. Do I just need more men on a bigger ship?

Also, to upgrade my HQ to the next level, I need 20,000 gold.. I've built all the Gold Storage buildings the game will let me (but haven't upgraded), and if I tap on my Gold bar, it says my max storage is 6,500.. So how do I get enough to upgrade? I see the gold mines and HQ itself has innate storage, why isn't that included in my total storage?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Other than one seemingly constantly respawning merchant ship, everything I encounter on the map says "Suicide" if I attempt to fight it.. bummer. Do I just need more men on a bigger ship?

Also, to upgrade my HQ to the next level, I need 20,000 gold.. I've built all the Gold Storage buildings the game will let me (but haven't upgraded), and if I tap on my Gold bar, it says my max storage is 6,500.. So how do I get enough to upgrade? I see the gold mines and HQ itself has innate storage, why isn't that included in my total storage?

Make sure your boat is completely full before you send it out. With a full boat you should be able to kill most of the stuff that you can reach.

Upgrade your gold storages.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Requesting as captain bob.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
Requesting to join as Zorato. :yarr:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Requesting to join as Haerc.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Guild is full, time for a purge.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Did some purge. Apply again.

Marlanic
Apr 28, 2010

by zen death robot
Requested as Marlanic

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Everyone above is in the guild and sorted, except for Rapner. There's room and I can still make a bit more if more goons are looking to join.

elvie
Jan 17, 2009
Request sent as elvie.
Plundering awaits!

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
We have 18 19 20 new goons in the guild and Plunder Pirates Android is just barely 12 hours old as of this post.

I have been fielding questions in the thread and in the chat as best as I can from my phone, but now that I am home from work, I'll type up some slightly longer answers to the questions I've received so far.

Gems - only spend gems on two things:

1) Buy all your builders first. There are only 4, and the loot is plentiful in this game. You will have no trouble keeping them all busy, even in the endgame.

2) After you have all 4 builders (!!), only use gems to complete troop recruiting and only when you are pushing to fill your storages for a big upgrade. E.g. you have 2 million gold, and you need 4 million for your PH 7, but don't want to get plowed while your army builds - gem armies done and raid until you have the 4 mil. Don't ever buy resources directly with gems, and don't ever speed up build times with gems.

Base upgrades - mortars are your best defense for most/all of the game, but keep your storages up to date as well, or you may find yourself spending a week upgrading storages to be able to hold enough for your next big (usually PH) upgrade.

The Map/Boat - before you send your boat out make sure it is completely full of troops. Doesn't really matter which ones. You should be able to kill almost any monster/enemy ship your boat can reach, so if you're seeing the "Suicidal" message, either your boat is not full, or your voyage is trying to kill too many enemies in one trip.

Base layout / Defense - Don't worry about this too much until PH4-5+, people that want your loot are going to roll you and take it. However, here is a general guide for building a decent base.

1) Put what you want to protect in the center - your storages.
2) Put your mortars (if you have them) next to your storages.
3) Put your other defenses (cannons, gun towers) around the core you built above.
4) Surround as much of that as you can with walls (when you get them).
5) Put everything else outside the walls, around this (including your Pirate Hall). The idea is you want their troops attacking your useless buildings, while your defenses kill them.

The Early Game (PH1-5) - when people attack you, they are probably going to wipe you out. When you log in, tap all your gold mines and distilleries, and do your raid(s) and then spend as much of your loot as you can - to keep the amount of loot people can steal down. Keep your builders busy.

Getting your clock cleaned every attack may seem rough, and explaining why it is good is a little difficult, but I'll try in a future mini guide. I don't want this post to get too huge for people to read on their first day.

Happy to answer any other questions, or explain my reasoning behind any of the above, just post.

Also, I updated the OP as of about a patch ago, so it should be pretty helpful if you want to read more about the game. I have yet to find a good and updated wiki for this game, so unfortunately my ramblings might be your best source of information for now.

RVT fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
I like pirate games so I'm in as Buccawash.

• Locked thread