Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

For the most part, you're kidding yourself if you think the navy gives half a drat about setting you up to be successful outside of the navy.

I had some very poor leadership and will forever hate the navy because of it if you couldn't tell ;).....this is mostly due to just how much these people truly control your life. I dunno, not a fan of being the property of the government, especially now that I know the average military person that is in charge of others.

I'm sorry for your experiences, but let me clue you in on a nugget of truth: the military does not exist to "set you up for success" once you get out. I don't give two shits what leadership gets up on their soapbox and spouts, it is simply not how the organization is structured. The military exists to fight wars and kill people. Plain and simple.

That being said, there are tons of opportunities within the military that you can utilize to set yourself up for success. It is pure fantasy that "the Navy" or anybody in it is going to just arbitrarily do anything for you purely of their own volition; however, in that same sense the military won't just "take care of you" for your future, either. BUT, if you ask for help and show that you're motivated to take advantage of those opportunities (and you can get the basics right like showing up for work, doing your job, quals, etc) and would like to pursue the nebulous aforementioned "opportunities" there are a shitload of people who will bend over backwards to obtain.

I've got $30,000 worth of certs -- all on the gov't time. I'm getting a master's on the gov't dime. I know people who have gone to Yale/Stanford/MIT/Georgetown/Harvard - all while active duty (3 of whom are still attending said institutions). Look at programs like STA-21, LEP (Law Education Program - send people to get their JD), or USNA programs (E4 in my divison was just picked up to go to the Academy). There are a ton of opportunities but nobody's going to drop that poo poo into your lap, especially not when you've got a weak-rear end attitude like Panda (and yours, apparently). The military didn't bone you and isn't boning him - you both boned yourselves by being negative-nancy whiners instead of applying yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

buttplug posted:

I'm sorry for your experiences, but let me clue you in on a nugget of truth: the military does not exist to "set you up for success" once you get out. I don't give two shits what leadership gets up on their soapbox and spouts, it is simply not how the organization is structured. The military exists to fight wars and kill people. Plain and simple.

That being said, there are tons of opportunities within the military that you can utilize to set yourself up for success. One thing you *should* have learned in the Navy is that rarely will anybody do anything for you purely of their own volition; however, in that same sense the military won't just "take care of you" for your future, either. BUT, if you ask for help and show that you're motivated to take advantage of those opportunities (and you can get the basics right like showing up for work, doing your job, quals, etc) and would like to pursue the nebulous aforementioned "opportunities" there are a shitload of people who will bend over backwards to obtain.

I've got $30,000 worth of certs -- all on the gov't time. I'm getting a master's on the gov't dime. I know people who have gone to Yale/Stanford/MIT/Georgetown/Harvard - all while active duty (3 of whom are still attending said institutions). Look at programs like STA-21, LEP (Law Education Program - send people to get their JD), or USNA programs (E4 in my divison was just picked up to go to the Academy). There are a ton of opportunities but nobody's going to drop that poo poo into your lap, especially not when you've got a weak-rear end attitude like Panda (and yours, apparently). The military didn't bone you and isn't boning him - you both boned yourselves by being negative-nancy whiners instead of applying yourself.

saw m0t, didnt read

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Dunno what non aviation guys get out of staying in, though. gently caress that noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akt6ifvLmnc

lots of close quarters sleepovers and cum socks!!!

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

saw m0t, didnt read

tl;dr You sound like just as much of a negative, disillusioned whiner as Panda who probably whined your whole time in, instead of taking advantage of all the opportunities the military writ large has to offer.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Slapfighting over USMAPS and college credits aside, I don't know of any job in the civilian world that lets you get shot off the end of a boat in an aluminum can at 150 mph. That's honestly kinda fun.

Dunno what non aviation guys get out of staying in, though. gently caress that noise.

I'm pretty sure we were mostly agreeing with each other.

EDIT: Nm saw the other posts. BELAY MY LAST.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 10, 2014

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

buttplug posted:

tl;dr You sound like just as much of a negative, disillusioned whiner as Panda who probably whined your whole time in, instead of taking advantage of all the opportunities the military writ large has to offer.

you think he has time, like holy loving poo poo. He's a sub guy, and I bet unlike me, who will have 0 sea time, was probably deployed constantly, and was working 120+ hours.

Also, lol @ adding more time to stay in, I mean if you want to go O side, more power to you, but nuke officer sucks even more in its own special magical way, doubly so subside. (they are throwing what, 120K at those guys and like some absurd bonus per year because they are at less than 15% staying in? When people in this lovely economy are saying 'gently caress this, this money isn't worth suffering', you might realize something.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

buttplug posted:

tldr you probably have no concept of actual long hours or hard work and are still the same self described genius rotc idiot who gives away NK secrets that you've always been lol

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Slapfighting over USMAPS and college credits aside, I don't know of any job in the civilian world that lets you get shot off the end of a boat in an aluminum can at 150 mph. That's honestly kinda fun.

:hfive:

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Fighter Jet Pilot Man seems like a p decent gig and cool also!!!

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

tldr you probably have no concept of actual long hours or hard work and are still the same self described genius rotc idiot who gives away NK secrets that you've always been lol

The truth hurts, doesn't it? First, I'm not ROTC. And second, I remember when a couple of you gently caress-knuckles 'sperged over something that I pulled off globalsecurity. Here you go, here's my "classified" source you nit-wit. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/oplan-5027.htm But yea, sperg away about a theater you've probably never spent any actual time in. :rolleyes:

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 10, 2014

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

buttplug posted:

Haha, you're a loving riot. First, I'm not ROTC. And second, I remember when a couple of you gently caress-knuckles 'sperged over something that I pulled of globalsecurity. Here you go, here's my "classified" source you nit-wit. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/oplan-5027.htm :rolleyes:

enjoy your naval career sir :patriot:

But yea, sperg away about a theater you've probably never spent any actual time in. :rolleyes:

haha this is the new "I reverse engineer malware for fun"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

justice4trayvawn posted:

Fighter Jet Pilot Man seems like a p decent gig and cool also!!!

I don't claim to understand every detail of E3 life although I did come from a pretty blue collar family. But I can see how Pandas latest post set butttplug off. Even when I read it I was kind of like wtf dude. And yeah I honestly believe aviation is the best for everyone, from E1 on up. :dukedog:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I used to lurk in this thread a bit since I am getting ready to be on a ship for the next 3 years. Thread quality has gone to poo poo so if you guys could post better, that'd be great.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

vulturesrow posted:

I don't claim to understand every detail of E3 life although I did come from a pretty blue collar family. But I can see how Pandas latest post set butttplug off. Even when I read it I was kind of like wtf dude. And yeah I honestly believe aviation is the best for everyone, from E1 on up. :dukedog:

I used to lol when I'd see those airman names on the jets.....do they ever even get a ride......

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Hekk posted:

I used to lurk in this thread a bit since I am getting ready to be on a ship for the next 3 years. Thread quality has gone to poo poo so if you guys could post better, that'd be great.

Just getting you ready for the constant bitching onboard a ship guy.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

I don't claim to understand every detail of E3 life although I did come from a pretty blue collar family. But I can see how Pandas latest post set butttplug off.

I don't claim to understand E3 life either, but millions of the people come into the military from all walks of life and hundreds of thousands of those people are able to make something of themselves, do great things, and come out better on the other side. There are people who get raw deals from time to time, Panda (as a corpsman sitting in a hospital on shore-duty who has never deployed) is not one of them. Like any job - the military is what you make of it...

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
just signed an offer letter to transfer in to my top pick for engineering internships for this summer at the place i was at last year. feeling pretty good

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

just signed an offer letter to transfer in to my top pick for engineering internships for this summer at the place i was at last year. feeling pretty good

No room for good feelings in here.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

buttplug posted:

I'm sorry for your experiences, but let me clue you in on a nugget of truth: the military does not exist to "set you up for success" once you get out.

It does at our command heyooooo contracting :gizz:

gently caress everything I just want my per diem money

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Being captain of a ship is pretty cool. V:shobon:V

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
The FY-15 funding bill text is finally out. 1% pay raise :toot:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

justice4trayvawn posted:

I used to lol when I'd see those airman names on the jets.....do they ever even get a ride......

In jets not really, mostly because of all the hoops you have to jump through to get non-aircrew a ride. In Prowlers we did have a flying troubleshooter qual you could get, mostly for ATs but we didn't get to use it often. We did get to a few special events like an airborne re-enlistment but it was pretty rare. I think most aircrew would love to give every single person in the squadron a ride if they wanted one.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
My command said I could take the week long IDW course and get my warfare pin as an E2 :shrug:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Pepsi-Tan posted:

My command said I could take the week long IDW course and get my warfare pin as an E2 :shrug:

You already have one from posting in this thread.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

listen to this while reading all the navy thread drama for maximum PTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxbSRpVJ3s

Analogical fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 10, 2014

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Was DTS and the APC/GTC program really that hosed up in other commands?

When I was in-squadron, the officers/pilots were really the only people I could reliably train to utilize DTS and coordinate split disbursement to the GTC so the payment would come out of the claim, rather than to personally indemnify them of the charges.

For the sake of all the maintainers' credit scores, I literally would just do everyone elses' claim solo. But that was only about 160 people 2-3 times a year.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo do they not get in trouble for making those videos?

Does anyone give a poo poo about the football teams outside of the academy peeps? Like, I don't think I ever even heard a game mentioned. I think one of the Marine LTs I worked with was a linebacker (big dude) but yeah.

Wish Navy boxing was actually a thing tho (outside of the academy)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Christoff posted:

Does anyone give a poo poo about the football teams outside of the academy peeps? Like, I don't think I ever even heard a game mentioned. I think one of the Marine LTs I worked with was a linebacker (big dude) but yeah.

I knew a supply Lt that was a lineman for the Navy football team. He wound up getting fired as the SupO and resigned his commission after he failed his weigh in/tape and didn't get career designated.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

There was command-level boxing at DLI (LOL) when I was there. Fort Gordon is trying to get something together with the other services too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Analogical posted:

listen to this while reading all the navy thread drama for maximum PTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxbSRpVJ3s

This enhances my enjoyment of all Navy threads and threads on SA in general.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You guys are all fags.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

You guys are all fags.

It's the navy :colbert:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

You guys are all fags.

You're just jealous because you don't have the "I was underway" excuse to fall back on any more.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I didn't read any of that poo poo

I am on day 1 of leave. In a log cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains. Owns

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 10, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Been working 14 hour days this week and still have to do christmas shopping etc after work. I bought some knob creek thinking I was going to SA Secret Santa it, but it'd be too hard to mail so I thought I'd open up the bottle I and try some. Turns out 100 proof whiskey will knock you on your rear end after shift work; also when you haven't eaten anything in 24 hours. Who knew?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DustyNuts posted:

I didn't read any of that poo poo

I am on day 1 of leave. In a log cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains. Owns

Posting on SA while in a log cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains. Is internet addicted.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/your-aircraft-carrier-is-a-piece-of-crap-f3f52d299588

Nimitz class or gtfo

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Buttplug, I wasn't complaining about my situation or blaming people for the state of my naval life or whatever. As far as advancement goes, yeah, m'bad m'shipmate, but I'm changing that. I'm not complaining about getting stuck with a 24 hr watch or something that is totally within my duties to perform. My complaints with "the Navy" are with higher-ups that sing about the people making up "the Navy". A higher up didn't gently caress me out of thousands of dollars because their baby daddy won't pay support so they resort to asking everyone from JOs to E5 and below, getting a long list of people they owe, with everything getting swept under the rug whenever it came up. I didn't get forced to write a letter apologizing to the previous CO because I pointed out that some equipment didn't work and people were ignoring it years ago. List goes on. I just tried to stay in patient care, get my certs for moonlighting/having options as a civilian other than welfare and pot while I go to classes for college, and helping out the new kids understand any medical stuff they didn't quite grasp in training. I don't spread the poison of not trusting people in the Navy, I stay as the tech that people go to to bitch about things and see over months of one on one therapy as they all dwindle with their friends regardless of what I say they can do in the meantime like getting their nursing degree they wanted or shadowing NECs they are interested in, instead of focusing on a second class banging junior sailors without restraint. Chiefs on you trying to get you kicked out because you whistle blew about procedures being ignored and putting people's lives in danger? Countdown the weeks you have left and visit your SO as often as possible, you'll be better off in a few weeks. Things got worse when Christoff left, and this place didn't end up with a fraction of the shady poo poo that goes on written in the newspaper quoting a CDR just out of "bitching". It's cool though, I'll just get more certs/classes and prepare for moving along in life instead of being the person that gets out spouting about how the Navy hosed them here and there and they wish they were back in because everyone hates them in their civilian job.

vvvv good dogges

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 10, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Holy poo poo, I just read the last two pages, what the gently caress!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I think its fair to say that not everyone has the same experience during their time in everyone's favorite global force for good. Some people get screwed harder than others, and that's life.

That said, try to make the best of it and if navy life isn't for you then get out and get paid to go to college.

There are a lot of good career paths in the Navy, but the not-good paths far outnumber the good ones. I was fortunate and got a lot of on the job experience/training that set me up for an excellent career on the outside, but I know not everyone had those same opportunities that I had.

• Locked thread