Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Our commodore has put out a message saying that we are all called riverines instead of sailors or sea warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

There really isn't a clear mission besides, "We do small boat stuff???" and even then that isn't accurate because half of the community isn't small boat qualified and instead is embark security guys. The community relies entirely on tribal knowledge in order to do the absurd variety of missions that it has been given, some of which are completely conflicting in nature.

The whole YOU ARE ALL RIVERINES thing has been a really big joke to me, and even the people who drink the koolaid in that regard at my command basically had a period where they beat their heads against the pavement while repeating it to themselves to try to get enough brain damage to make it make sense.

Some of our tribal knowledge long timers have been in six different commands with six different organizations and six different missions but the same group of people (CRS, MSRON, MIUW, C2 for the communications and sensors, NCWRON, and IBU.) They're constantly adjusting the amount of (INSERT NAME HERE) Squadrons, adjusting whether they're reserve or active, adjusting how many people they have, etc. without letting the changes settle. The active duty squadrons are properly manned but don't do poo poo and have don't know what the gently caress they are doing because they have lost their tribal knowledge, and the reserve squadrons don't have manning or money.

We're also starting to take over a bunch of the harbor security missions from the coasties, which is another series of mission sets using different boats to add to the litany of stuff that we are also expected to know.

germskr posted:

I would ask why was it RIVRON that got absorbed by MSRON rather than the other way around? I'll agree about MSRON on the risk aversion compared to say NSW or a select few NECC commands (EOD), but a lot of the boats RIVRON brought after the merger can't even be used effectively because they can't operate in anything more than level 0-1 sea state. Since we no longer "occupy" or have major combat operations in any country, there is no need for a brown water Navy, but we sure like to patrol the hell out of coastline.

The big reason that they rolled the riverines into the maritime security is because they so severely cut funding to the riverine guys to the point where they were only able to support enough people to make a couple of boat companies. They basically attached them so that they could use the administrative/maintenance infrastructure of the MSRONs while still doing their own distinct mission on a company level. The name change was made because the riverines started crying that they didn't want to lose their name :qq: and the MSRONs were like "NOW WE ARE ALSO RIVERINE, BROTHERS" :madmax:

Basically riverines are absurdly expensive in training and equipment, and by cutting out the desk jockeys like and attaching them to the MSRON desk jockeys they saved themselves money because the desk jockeys don't need that training. Now they only have to train a boat company.

ManMythLegend posted:

While there is certainly a lot of overlap between RIVRON and SWCC I contend that they still handle two different mission sets.

That said, separating RIVRON from MSRON and rolling them up with and expanding the role of SWCC is a good idea.

SWCC dudes would probably go insane doing the security mission because your job is literally to sit there and look intimidating and maybe shoot people if they aren't properly intimidated, while they signed up to shoot brown people with miniguns and grenade launchers and jump out of helicopters.

Christoff posted:

Ok so what have Riverines done and what do they do

SWCC does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlDRTemjzQ

Riverine does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFvAaO9j8M

MSRON does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vizdYUJjU

Stultus Maximus posted:

I believe the answer is that at the highest levels, NECC is a giant directionless ball of gently caress.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I believe the answer is that at the highest levels, NECC is a giant directionless ball of gently caress.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Basically we are a fundamentally disorganized mob of sailors that climb into boats, and they throw us random missions that require completely different skill sets and we get to figure out how to do them. They want brown water capabilities without having to pay for an offensive brown water unit, so they just attached that offensive mission skill set to the defensive guys that they're already paying for.

With all that being said, I still think that the overseas waterborne security/surveillance mission is an important one and we do it well.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 31, 2014

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Analogical posted:

What's that NECC program where they board ships and check everyone out? My old LPO did that for a year and never stopped acting hard because he had EXW

This is also one of our potential missions. The CORIVRONs have boarding teams in addition to boat and embark security teams.

MancXVI posted:

I thought "riverine" was a joke at first but then you assholes kept talking about it. Am I having a stroke?

IT IS VERY REAL AND HAPPENING TO SAILORS IN OUR NAVY RIGHT NOW.

MancXVI posted:

Know what a great feeling is?

Not knowing 90% of the acronyms on this page. I am so lost and it's wonderful.

NECC is navy expeditionary combat command
CORIVRON is coastal riverine squadron which is made up of MSRONs, maritime expeditionary security squadrons, and RIVRONs, riverine squadrons. Previous names within the past fifteen years have included MIUW, mobile inshore undersea warfare, which is a combination of three different commands: NCWRON, navy coastal warfare squadron, IBU, inshore boat unit, and C2, which is just a generic stand alone command and control command that was intended to follow missions out and provide communications and sensors regardless of what boat stuff they were supporting.

Basically the community had a series of distinct missions in a group of distinct squadrons with some that had very similar training and equipment, but the navy saw the similarities instead of the differences and smashed them together into a Frankenmission that is an abomination unto ROC & POE. I'll say that very realistically we could accomplish any mission from our big list well, but there is very little preplanning done besides "Get qualifications, and then ?????." Every set of mission circumstances requires a completely different plan, pretty much.

Because of budgeting we can't afford schools, and because of manning we almost can't afford to send people to schools. Almost everything we teach/learn is done from people with prior knowledge of the stuff instead of actual schooling. I have been to two schools, one of which is on obsolete equipment and the other is 2M so I can't actually do anything legally with it. I get almost zero in rate knowledge and instead have a huge list of things (most of which are completely outside of my rate) that I can fix/maintain/watch stand for.

germskr posted:

Are you east coast or west coast? Lastly, are you a noble? Because I wish more nobles had this epiphany.

I'm West coast, and just enlisted. All of our tribal knowledge officers fully realize the situation and just do their best to do a good job.

West coast is good at barely passing inspections and mostly ignoring instruction and just doing whatever the gently caress by the seat of our pants. East coast is good at gundecking really well while having everything right by the books but all wrong by intent of the books. This is my understanding of the west and east split of CORIVRONs.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 31, 2014

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

His GiPnavy.txt document has over 1,000 line items, improving internet stalking efficiency by over 150%. Vulturesrow's professionalism, unrelenting perseverance, and loyal devotion to duty reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the united states naval service.

• Locked thread