Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

Or do you not listen in the quarterly SAPR GMTs?

Lmao.

Holds true after replacing sapr with literally anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

Too often people go "eh, I'm getting out"

The best advice I ever got as a junior sailor was to prepare as if you were doing twenty, regardless of what you're actually doing/think you're doing. That advice has never not served me well.

ManMythLegend posted:

An E-3 claiming to know better then everyone else at their command and be the lynchpin that holds an organization to gether?!?!? :monocle:

I don't want to dogpile the guy but yea, this 100%. His posts remind me a lot of my brother, who's an E4 (as an FC) and been in for five years and his command constantly shits on him but he's really the super star etc etc.

justice4trayvawn posted:

actually, the military is lame + stupid + petty bullshit, and if you're not a retard or stuck with a fat wife and 9 kids/scared of having a real job, you pretty much leave as soon as humanly possible because having the bottom of the barrel in charge of pretty much every facet of your life is pretty terrible unless youre basically a drooling idiot who needs that sort of structure

gently caress em, get out and use your gi bill, no one on this side will ever give a poo poo about your rank or evals

e: can't wait til someone replies....b...b..but real jobs have drama too! yeah, and i get to leave every day at 4 and not deal with it constantly. also i can quit. suck my dick i strawmanned you all

panda: just go with the bullshit flow until you can get out, took me 5 years to finally just give in to ~the man~ and it was a lot easier after that tbh

The military is also piss rear end easy to do well in. Like I show up with an attitude that isn't awful and I'm not a mouth breather, so I'm in charge of people and am generally left alone. I know why people stay in, it's tempting as hell to go back to a ship and make chief and be in charge of a bunch of idiots. If I didn't have kids I WOULD do that because for loving real the Navy is one of the easiest jobs (DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A NUKE THIS DOESNT APPLY TO NUKES OMG IGNORE THIS IF YOU ARE A NUKE) to excel in I've ever had. Like they hand you a nice organized checklist and say "If you do these things (ESWS/MTS/College?Volunteer/whatever) you will advance and make more money. It's also for the most part completely in your hands. If you're not advancing because you're an idiot and bad at tests (like my brother) you can fix that, unless you're a lazy piece of poo poo (like my brother)

I don't disagree that the military is full of petty bullshit and is generally terrible, but goddamn some of you guys post like the Navy literally desecrated your Dad's grave.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 10, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

i was a fast attack nuke and yeah it pretty much was that bad imo

but mostly I'm just trying to ruffle some hard charger JO feathers : o

but seriously......I work half to 1/3 the hours i did in the military and make 4x as much. That alone should leave any sane person scrambling for the doors v0v

Absolutely agreeing with you. A lot of people don't actually improve themselves when they're in though. Like I'm kind of assuming you got a job solely based on what you did in the Navy, and I think for a lot of rates that's pretty rare. The big secret is that the Navy will literally pay you to go to school/get certs/do apprenticeships and essentially set yourself up for civilian life, but a lot of people are incredibly lazy. Whenever I ask people I work with when they're going to start school I normally get a response like "Oh, probably next month..." for every month. As a functioning human being that poo poo absolutely boggles my mind.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

For the most part, you're kidding yourself if you think the navy gives half a drat about setting you up to be successful outside of the navy.

The myriad of programs the navy has that are setup specifically to do just that disagrees with you.

Navy COOL
Tuition Assistance
GI Bill
TAPS/GPS (to a lesser degree)
US MAPS

I mean maybe the Navy wants you to use these things to better excel in the Navy, but then why advance people that don't take advantage of these? Really, the BPME/IPME/PPME courses by the Navy War College are set up to further your actual Navy knowledge.

I'll concede that most commands won't give a poo poo if you're going to school full time while doing certs and US MAPS poo poo and won't give you extra time to get them done(some will), but the programs exist.

I mean there are a million opportunities the Navy gives you, I'd argue that if you get out of the military with just an NEC and your basic job training then you;ve done yourself a disservice.

Ryand-Smith posted:

legit lol here, because the amount of money they throw at 'entry level jobs' and the 1.5 (well its 2 thanks to ~holds~), years of training is a garbage argument. Like, if most departments are full of fuckheads, that's an issue with US society but stop trying to get me to not carepost. The point is, the sup E3 life sucks, now what's his face is being a fuckhead for not doing the easy bullshit to get more $$$, but you ~lords and nobles~ will never understand the garbage the sub E3s have to go through. I mean, I would love to have to do the easy mode to ~take college in navy~, but as Ket showed, it will gently caress you if you want grants and ~actual real degrees~ when you get out.

Taking college in the Navy only fucks you if you go to a garbage school and aren't prepared for the repercussions. Like I'm mostly agreeing with the ~lords and nobles~ because they're not wrong.

The only program I listed above that you need to be on shore duty to really take advantage of is TA.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 10, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

some of the programs are there yeah, I don't disagree....time and your command giving a poo poo are a wayyyyyy other factor though heh

also, 130 credit hours on my SMART transcript

i fought for 6 of them to count towards my degree

lol SMART transcripts are garbage.

Every week I ask my students "Who here has been told they can basically get a degree by applying all of your ~Navy Credits~ to it?" and every week I crush a lot of dreams. Better they know out of A school than learn when they've been in for six years.

Yea like I said your command probably won't give a poo poo but it's doable. Granted you kind of have to ignore your family for a little bit...

Some of the programs are super easy too, like US MAPS is a loving joke. Granted I don't know if the pieces of paper I'm collecting are worth anything, but it's not like it takes any actual effort to get them other than filling out a form on a website every week.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

Is that the apprentice one? I knew one guy that was doing it but prolly called him a homophobic slur and walked away or something

ANYWAYS WHO IS HYPED FOR THE BIG ARMY NAVY GAME THIS WEEKEND EH FELLAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7x-NIeEeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXAaWyDWOY

Yea its the apprenticeship one. You get a piece of paper from the Department of Labor that basically says 'Hey maybe this guy might no something in this field possibly'.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Slapfighting over USMAPS and college credits aside, I don't know of any job in the civilian world that lets you get shot off the end of a boat in an aluminum can at 150 mph. That's honestly kinda fun.

Dunno what non aviation guys get out of staying in, though. gently caress that noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akt6ifvLmnc

I'm pretty sure we were mostly agreeing with each other.

EDIT: Nm saw the other posts. BELAY MY LAST.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 10, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Hekk posted:

I used to lurk in this thread a bit since I am getting ready to be on a ship for the next 3 years. Thread quality has gone to poo poo so if you guys could post better, that'd be great.

Just getting you ready for the constant bitching onboard a ship guy.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

just signed an offer letter to transfer in to my top pick for engineering internships for this summer at the place i was at last year. feeling pretty good

No room for good feelings in here.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Ket it's not like we were exclusively talking about nukes. I think I even mentioned that most of what I said doesn't apply if you're a nuke.

That being said, getting a master's and poo poo doesn't necessarily mean you have a cake job. Despite everyone's thoughts on the general enlisted population some of us actually apply ourselves.

Also yea who loving spilled all of this give a gently caress over the thread? I feel like I need a shower.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DownByTheWooter posted:

it's almost as if when you choose your rate, you also choose

... your fate !?

Choose your NEC choose your DESTINY!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Arione posted:

Have em on the shore is still going strong, this command is like a damned puppy mill. Birth announcements almost ever other week.

That's a good thing. People want children, the responsible ones will do that on shore duty, although I agree with poopkitty, it's incredibly frustrating planning major life events around ship's movement.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

See, at this point in my career, I kind of disagree with this. I won't argue it because it's pointless, and honestly I don't really know how I would fix it. But I resent that my children are five years apart because of a career that will be over soon. My family is FAR more important to me and I set them aside for it and that's crap.

I also disagree with having to do it, but honestly the only other choice is to completely gently caress up manning in most cases.

bengy81 posted:

That obligation ends as soon they stop babying all the idiots/malingerers hanging out at the island of broken toys for months and years at a time, or when commands stop capping sailors so they don't get the boot because they have a million loving kids.

The military is just a big welfare system for people that can function in the real world.

This is all true.

bengy81 posted:

It sucks when a chick gets knocked up to get out of a deployment, but it is also just as shity when a dude fakes an injury or throws himself downstairs to get out of one too. It sucks that the good female sailors get judged harshly for trying to properly plan a family, and I think part of the problem could be relieved if shops were manned at rates higher than they currently are.

El oh loving el. That can happen once Washington realizes if they keep cutting spending then they have to scale back the mission. Which they won't ever concede. I'm pretty sure I'm not telling you anything new though.

Lots of people upset at married people in the military itt, and I think it's because like everything in the military, you have a bunch of loving jackholes getting married and loving it all up for the regular functioning members.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 15, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SpaceJustice posted:

You can't really waste TA.

No kidding. I saw a dude who graduated from Excelsior get accepted to a masters program at Concordia in Wisconsin which is a legitimate (private) school.

I go to wgu but that's mainly because certs are rolled in with tuition for their it programs. If I wasn't in the navy I'd be in an actual school.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Analogical posted:

I've heard good things about Univ North Dakota and having a good distance program for military. I'm a year and a half out from a degree, unless I wanted that degree in Arabic in which case I'm six months from a degree, albeit a totally useless one.

I haven't qualified for TA though, because I don't have IDW. But I can't get IDW, because I haven't been at a NIOC long enough to jump their hoops. I do remember being told four years ago there'd be TA at some point, because all the HTs and MA Schmucks I was with not only used it to get degrees, but are already done with their contracts :frog:

Not having an idw pin doesn't disqualify you from using ta.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your command is awful.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

Aren't you an officer, your grace?

One time whilst underway I thought it would be funny to act like a medieval peasant towards officers including not making eye contact and only ending replies with "m'lord" and scurrying away when given an order

The cool ones thought it was pretty funny but I was only brave enough to do it to o-3 and below :(

Dusty's a PS1.

How dare you not have an encyclopedia like knowledge of everyone in the Navy thread.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

and instructor duty is cake

I'm not sure what navy you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
All creeds are dumb and stupid, much like every facet of the Navy.

Carry on.

• Locked thread