Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Golden ratio ppt better have pretty lady faces or gtfo

Or pretty men :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If I remember correctly, you can't add into TSP if you get out early. Is it possible to roll it over to some other investment through Navy Fed? Anyone have any experience loving around with something like this?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

My friend was told to get new boots when he showed up to this command. He had gone through the diver pipeline out of boot camp and I guess they issue the high speed dudes a different pair of boots than the lovely bates the rest of us got. He just got handed down some fuzzy ones from one of the old second classes that got HYT'd out. I hear those are super comfy. Meanwhile, the sole on mine are worn away almost to my feet but I'll be damned if I'm buying some on my last year in.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Lucky. Ours are $75 loving dollars. And an hour away in Tokyo. And they reserve, like, 15 rooms and there's 3,000 people at our command. gently caress that.

Guess you guys don't have as many orgies in Japan as we do in Fresno and corps school chicago?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Weird, moment I checked in I got a a government travel card from the command and using it I always got paid back for it if I didn't go over my limit. Couple of idiots would use it while they were here at the command thinking "Oh boy, the Navy is paying for this poo poo!". I've only been TAD like 3 times, twice was like a few days to a week and once it was 2 months. Sucks if you're living paycheck to paycheck and they decide to gently caress you. Heard of plenty Marine reservists when I was at Del Mar that lived in LA and would go down to drill, their NOSC or w/e it's called for them screwed up paperwork and some of them had reservations in Pendleton or San Diego without a car to get in between, or would have to pay out of pocket to live somewhere. A few ghosts would crash on the floor of whoever was in their shop, bailing out before the cleaning people arrived to the barracks/motel thing they had going on.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Beards would be pretty sick, and kind of motivating in a "hardier" sort of way, plus it improves morale because you're not surrounded by a bunch of baby faces and the higher ups with permanent fatface can at least cover it up a bit.

I think the main reason they don't put morale high up on the list of priorities is because they view high morale as a threat to general military discipline. They fail to realize that if you have a bunch of people trained to work in the thick of it as their lives are at stake, with high morale you would have the internal drive to do more for whatever organization you're a part of and can see yourself advancing better. One of the biggest things that has always pissed me off is when I'm actually having a good day and some Chief or junior officer is like "WHAT'S TO SMILE ABOUT WHEN YOU'RE ON DUTY, SHIPMATE" :chiefsay: Like, drat, I'm standing a bullshit duty and I'm enjoying my 8 hours of solitude after leaving work to come do this, calm the gently caress down. I guess they want a pissed off corpsman to greet service members and whiny family members just to piss them off even more so they can complain. I don't know how they correlate a smiling person as a threat, but someone that's just playing the system by going through the motions of checking boxes and manipulating others isn't a liability when poo poo hits the fan while people are only thinking for themselves.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Recently my ~CRAZY UNCLE~ moved near my mom so I have been seeing him frequently. He joined the Navy right out of highschool and was kicked out twice. Then somehow got into the Army until he was medically discharged a couple years ago. I can't tell if he is deaf or crazy, but if you get him going on the Navy in the 70s he says he hated it. I told him about liberty buddies, cinderella curfew being standard, etc. He said that sounds like ever more bullshit and he wouldn't have made it (I don't know what that means exactly as he was kicked out for drugs I think).

He claims that SNCOs were always out to gently caress you over and the navy didn't care about sailors. Says when he joined the army it was a lot better as they supposedly take care of their guys. I don't remember the navy constantly trying to gently caress me but yeah a lot of senior enlisted were pretty lovely and would definitely throw you under the bus.

Meh, you get the feeling that they're trying to constantly gently caress/throw you under the bus at some commands, although at this one it seems to be selective. It's a hell of a lot harder now I imagine, just because they need evidence for starters (like in my case where my Chief tried to gently caress me and get the whole Mess against me until my old Senior Chief came back and defended me). I've heard from a few dudes in the Army that switched from the Navy (a Radar tech, MM, and a Corpsman) that they enjoy it more because they got to do their jobs more and apparently it was cake compared to all the collaterals they had to pick up whenever they weren't baby sitting PFCs.

Hell, every eval cycle they're trying to throw someone under the bus for something just to beef up someone else's eval to a degree. It's a problem when you grade a corpsman that's a tech against a corpsman that isn't because chances are the people grading the evals are likely not techs, but quad zero NEC dudes that have no idea what it is you do. Cut me out of getting an EP for a few cycles. Not too surprised the Army let him in, corpsman I know got kicked out two weeks ago for an ARI he lied about, he just swore into the Army as an Infantryman and leaves after the holidays.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Buttplug, I wasn't complaining about my situation or blaming people for the state of my naval life or whatever. As far as advancement goes, yeah, m'bad m'shipmate, but I'm changing that. I'm not complaining about getting stuck with a 24 hr watch or something that is totally within my duties to perform. My complaints with "the Navy" are with higher-ups that sing about the people making up "the Navy". A higher up didn't gently caress me out of thousands of dollars because their baby daddy won't pay support so they resort to asking everyone from JOs to E5 and below, getting a long list of people they owe, with everything getting swept under the rug whenever it came up. I didn't get forced to write a letter apologizing to the previous CO because I pointed out that some equipment didn't work and people were ignoring it years ago. List goes on. I just tried to stay in patient care, get my certs for moonlighting/having options as a civilian other than welfare and pot while I go to classes for college, and helping out the new kids understand any medical stuff they didn't quite grasp in training. I don't spread the poison of not trusting people in the Navy, I stay as the tech that people go to to bitch about things and see over months of one on one therapy as they all dwindle with their friends regardless of what I say they can do in the meantime like getting their nursing degree they wanted or shadowing NECs they are interested in, instead of focusing on a second class banging junior sailors without restraint. Chiefs on you trying to get you kicked out because you whistle blew about procedures being ignored and putting people's lives in danger? Countdown the weeks you have left and visit your SO as often as possible, you'll be better off in a few weeks. Things got worse when Christoff left, and this place didn't end up with a fraction of the shady poo poo that goes on written in the newspaper quoting a CDR just out of "bitching". It's cool though, I'll just get more certs/classes and prepare for moving along in life instead of being the person that gets out spouting about how the Navy hosed them here and there and they wish they were back in because everyone hates them in their civilian job.

vvvv good dogges

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 10, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Do you see any of those fugly fake trees that are like radio towers or whatever?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

I think I saw one guy try to take classes at my last command.

Yeah he dropped all of them.

Ok easy shore duty though yeah definitely

Most of the corpsmen I see dropping classes or stopping altogether are either not ready for the commitment of school. Doesnt help that some schools around base are small community schools that have limited programs or the upper level versions of those classes like the 300-400 level Bio/Chemistry courses arent available frequently due to not having qualified staff. A watchbill you cant always work around and an hour commute to the nearest university makes it even more complicated. They change the watchbills every year it seems depending on what person knabs it as a collateral to run it. The number of classes and hours in lab I would have missed would have been enough to get me kicked from the school. Online classes are totally doable though, its just a matter of them sitting down during watch or whatever to do it after finding a credible university.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

... or telling them I don't handle travel when they ask how to get to mandatory rehab

Weird, usually the TAD office handles the rehab stuff here. Their command should be taking care of the paperwork, since its their money being used depending on the stay. You definitely dont want a guy that demonstrated irresponsibility with a dui or going into treatment to better themselves handling stuff like that. DAPA handles setting up care, command gets them there, even across states if treatment isnt available at a Navy facility but is in a civilian one elsewhere.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Dude, your command treats you like total poo poo. Get out and go civilian or contractor, the poo poo you put up with isn't worth it.

This.

You sound like a cool dude though, hopefully it all works out.

Edit: Also sorry about the borderline ex, the Navy seems to be a magnet for the bipolars, anti-social, and borderline people in society that love to gently caress everything up.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Lou Takki posted:

In my experience, most people don't join the Navy because everything in their life was going great. Usually plan A already failed/was terrible and the Navy is a Plan 'B' (or 'Z', whatever). I joined because I hosed up seriously in the civilian world and I was out of good options to pay the bills.

Oh, sorry, it wasn't meant as a blanket of "everyone in is crazy". Some are just manipulative assholes, others had no way to better their situation, and even some that saw it as a call to answer. I just see crazy most often, even out of the clinic.

Actus, is it because of possible conflict with like a case against the Navy and an office you end up with or something?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I think I told you guys this, but we have a 6 year chief in our field. I actually I think I see more red rockers in my field than gold.

drat, fastest HM Chief I ever heard of making it was 7 years or so, and by 9 he was a Senior Chief. My instructor in A-school was in his class and they were always competing, my instructor made Chief at the 8 year mark right after his friend, but I think he's still a Chief and hasn't picked up. Both have ridiculously awesome stacks of ribbons though.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

So after a year at Fort Sam Houston, I'm finally going to a real Navy command, at Portsmouth Naval Hospital. I'll be there in January. Normally I wouldn't really be looking forward to it, but this C School was the loving worst. I can't wait to just go somewhere loving else. Maybe see a seagull or something, I don't know.

Youre a lab tech right? Surg? Regardless, you might be able to leave Portsmouth with fat stacks moonlighting or just save up. A hospital that big youll easily fall into the shadows if you want. What was so bad with C School? I know rotations at the hospitals sucked during clinicals but lol.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

All in all, should have imagined that the Navy would pick operations they trained you to do over the well-being of your family. And holy poo poo people are idiots if they think a baby is magically going to fix a marriage rather than be another set of stressors and responsibilities they wpuld argue over (not saying any of you did this, just saying).

Thats like one of the main things my patients complain about, that and when they cant go to the school they wanted to attend because they are constantly going on DETs and deployments.

There should be a GiP spreadsheet or something with the various ratings and MOS that you can grab with the personal experience of chances people got to go to school/time spent with operations over family. Maybe we could save some poor DEPper from picking something that would make them miserable or hate the Navy over.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ded posted:

lmbo

it's not the rates as much as the lpo & chief you get that will decide that poo poo

:lol: imagine a rate my professor site but with Chiefs and COs .

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

This idea is stolen from someone else but you know they could just provide incentives to stay single. Like give everyone BAH, or at least pay you extra money to live in the barracks. Make the barracks more like apartments (San Diego already does this right?) with more privacy and no loving shared rooms. Stop waking people
up at 5 am for field day inspections and to police call. Give everyone COMRATS/BAS and family sep pay on deployment. Like, because I'm not married I don't have family?

If I got married at my last command it would have been a 110% pay raise. I saw so many contract marriages and rushed ones that failed as she took all his poo poo on deployment it's ridiculous

They bend over backwards just to make sure we don't see BAS/COMRATS. When I first got to this command I put in a request for COMRATS because I stood EVO with the paramedics and had to go a full 24 hours throughout the week because people would transfer and we were bleeding as a duty section. The answer from my Chief at the time was that I should pass the pager over to someone not on duty that is qualified for the watch and grab a meal, regardless of if I was out in Fresno or San Diego or anywhere where there wasn't a barracks. It was comical at best. Now they're closing the base galleys because of budget cuts and the primary plan isn't to give BAS to people that already have access to kitchens in their barracks, whether it's in the new ones where the hot plate is in the room or if it's in the older ones where it's a community kitchen of sorts, the plan remains to give that BAS money to the restaurant on base where only selectively listed items on the menu will be paid through BAS. If you pick something that isn't selected, you have to pay out of pocket. Now will people have enough time to even eat? Hell no, even regular service leads to a 15-30 minute wait for food and there isn't enough space to handle that many people during lunch/dinner, and it isn't even open for breakfast. Guess some shady owner shaking hands with the right people counts for something. It's distasteful that a restaurant with a brewery wouldn't take BAS as a form of payment to at least help these poor bastards get wasted on their own money.

TL;DR: The Navy comes up with retarded solutions.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SpaceJustice posted:

"Look, it's a lone chair in the dark surrounded by confetti. I'm so deep and brooding!"

Hahaha I saw some cockbags taking wedding photos outside of the hospital once in full gown and blues. Some hambeast was using weird angles, her crotchspawn running around a parking lot while mommy "worked".

Edit: Actus, you just made my day. By the way, is here some weird regulation that forbids a naval installation of using a system intended for paging doctors and emergency building-wide announcements for hotdog sales by a civilian club?

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 16, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

possibly...what club?

Pretty much any club, civilian to enlisted.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Detailers seem like shady people, and the command career counselors can be pretty bad themselves. Same with the POMI office if anyone's ever had to deal with them to get orders for a deployment. My previous LPO only got his deployment (vacation) to Europe because he went around the offices at the command and just called the detailer directly.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 18, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Unless you want to live and retire in Lemoore. You can spend your whole career there no problem! (Seriously I don't think I've ever seen such a large vet community)

I never understood the mandatory geographic rotations. I get shore/sea duty but most times you can do both in the same-ish area

I don't know, Lemoore seems to be the kind of place that depends entirely on what you're looking for in life. Want to go to school at the same time, but it's in a hard science? Don't come here unless you want to drive an hour to a 4-6 hour lab and back. Want to raise a family here? Go for it, poo poo's cheap. Want to party hard? Lol you made a mistake coming here.

I think the rotations are intended to be more moving around from state to state rather than going from a primarily administrative position in a warehouse to reporting to the dock down the street from your warehouse.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

Except that it always *is* an issue. There's something to be said when the majority of continuity at any given command resides with civilians or contractors, and that is very common throughout the entire DoD not just the Navy. It is a huge, huge issue. My last office had 6 out of 10 folks PCS within 2 months and almost a year later they're *still* emailing me with questions. Not their fault, but it happens.

But would it stop admin from loving up getting a transfer package set up for someone and have them rushing everything at the last minute or is that just something thats common throughout civ and mil careers?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Still haven't figured out what stress cards are but everyone sure has heard of them! "Yeah they started using them in _____"
Which is usually couple years after they went to boot camp

Hell in boot camp everyone was talking about how the AF like totally has them. And they can have phones

Cousin flunked out of EOD, he had his phone throughout boot camp and was allowed to turn it on some days to text people. I laughed hella hard and thought he just left boot camp but no.

Also USO is always funny to sit in, even as a boot waiting to get on the flight to C school. So many people that wanted to get on a plane back home or just take a taxi when i told them they cant change their job.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Oldest dude we had was a 38 year old cross-rater in A school. The 35 year old dude in boot camp turned out to be schizophrenic that held his poo poo together by writing ramblings in his book over the first 4 weeks of boot camp.

Congrats on making it through, the fun starts to happen now.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If it's good enough for an O-9 to get approved, it's good enough for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

Found out my POS supervisor "forgot" to send a unit coin to an E4 we had to haul into work while he was on leave, who didn't even know who we were or why we were calling him, to come to work for five hours half the world away. My boss practically threatened the guy over the phone to come in, and we didn't even end up needing him but I couldn't tell him that or release him so I kept giving him seemingly important tasks to do so he didn't feel like he wasted his life any more than he did. I figured the least we could do was send this kid a coin, but NAH. gently caress it I'm just going to go to the gift shop and buy one there and ship it to him.

This guy wanted me to tell a whole remote team of people they had to stay an extra four hours today on new years because he thought we might need them. I surveyed the situation and sent them home immediately after he told me that which is good because we ended up not needing them either.

Ex-noble civ need to learn how to lead before he burns all the bridges my team has access to before we're just as useless as he is.

loving ouch. Sorry man :(

• Locked thread