Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I should be getting the medsep message this week. I'm so excited. As long as QC didn't send my prospective rating back with a do-over, I'll be out by the end of January.

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Sir Lucius posted:

Although, we will only have true equality when showers are just co-ed like starship troopers.

Battlestar Galactica is a better fit, even though they have Colonels as XOs and Captains are LTs.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
They started selling Christmas party tickets. For $25, you get to dance to *mumble mumble*, and eat *muuurmerrrr* with the people at your command.

Are we supposed to go to this one this year?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

poopkitty posted:

Lucky. Ours are $75 loving dollars. And an hour away in Tokyo. And they reserve, like, 15 rooms and there's 3,000 people at our command. gently caress that.

$75?! What does $75 get you?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ActusRhesus posted:

If your Congressman is on Appropriations or Armed Forces and you can actually get in touch with a member of their higher up constituent support staff, you may have better luck. (DC office only...the local offices are a whole lot of who gives a poo poo) But the dirty little secret is most Congressionals are not taken seriously, and Congress doesn't expect them to be.

I'll have you know that my Congressman's family sent my family a christmas card.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Does 32lb 100% cotton paper get better eye time with the HR department? Should I even bother shotgunning physical resumes to my favorite prospects?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/murder-charge-is-recommended-for-us-marine-in-death-of-transgender-filipino.html?_r=0

Marine asshat murders a transgendered Filipino because he was surprised with penis. He broke this woman's neck.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

CMD598 posted:

Thanks rear end in a top hat! Now it's 2 times that I've only seen the Phillipines from the rails!

You can always just move down there when you retire and join the expat community living permanently on the shore with their Landshark six-packs and protruding ventral fat deposits.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Also, hey bubbleheads! Looks like the Navy purchased an overpriced piece of junk eReader for your underwater voyages:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5688760/the-navy-built-an-e-reader-nerd

This is old, but I find it funny given that I bet the contract for these things calls for a unit price of $980 ea. Doesn't everybody and their mother own a Kindle already?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Christoff posted:

I remember seeing the creepiest fat old white dudes (presumably retired Navy) with a group of young chicks in a lot of different bars. Some other retired Navy dudes had a quick chat with us and then gave us some Jehovas Witness pamphlets or Mormon I don't remember

Wasn't there talk of making a base again in Subic or the Phillipines? Let's face it like any other place we're at they hate us now but once we completely pack up and go they instantly miss all that money and employment

I've never been to the Philippines, so thank you for confirming my constructed opinion of the expat community overe there.

If they made a naval base in the Philippines, it would just be another Diego Garcia for the Pacific. No dependents, a lack of usable infrastructure, and a harbor (cause you're sure as hell not using Manila) that makes groundings a common occurance because they simply can't dredge up enough of that soft silt + hard calcium combo deposits to get anything of significant draft through the channel.

edit: It would be an expensive project, is all I'm saying.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

KetTarma posted:

I just want to point out that every navy spouse sells either mary kay, shakelogy, or some other MLM scheme

They had a Shakeology convention here in Chicago during the summer, and all these twenty-somethings duped into hawking overpriced "health shakes" came by to stand beneath the bean. I kept my thoughts on how the hell these people feed themselves on the pittance their pyramid scheme trickles down to them to myself, and my god it was like a cult what with their enthusiasm.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Is that "too expensive" excuse real? I mean, do they have a literal in-house bucket of cash that they grab wads of $100s for the particular day to utilize as their budget? What is going on in PSD and the detailing world, I would really like to know.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ManMythLegend posted:

The short answer is yes, it is real sometimes.

I'd love a long answer. Is there some kind of primer on this available through PSD or someplace?

It just seems so god damned arbitrary.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is a budget specifically allocated to PCSing people. It isn't infinite, but it also isn't as simple as some of the hyperbole here makes it out to be. For example, when I was in, there was a goal to have at least 70% of first tour to second tour JO SWOs stay in the same homeport. Additionally, priority was placed on people overseas in places like Japan to move back to the states, so likewise there was little difficulty PCSing to Japan.

When you consider that only 30% is really going to be allowed to move and a non-trivial chunk of that will be people moving to/from Japan/Rota/Etc, you can start to see how there simply might not be enough room in the budget to move a single person over that 30% a few states down the road.

Granted these percentages have likely changed in the past few years, the general concept is the same. There is a dollar ceiling and there are expected numbers through each rank group on how many can PCS.

Thank you for that info. I'm assuming that the amount of cash goes up and down depending on the funding situation with the DoD.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
One more day before the xmas stand down and a needed beach vacation. :toot:

Adbot