Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Here's a (not) shocking truth: being a junior enlisted Sailor is an entry level job, and you get treated like an entry level employee, with all the bullshit that entails, until you can prove you're a competent enough individual to adapt to the culture and lifestyle to not be treated like a barely functional child. If you can't manage to make the slight adjustments to your behavior and attitude required to not make everyone you work with hate you, congratulations, your time in the Navy will be terrible. Then, you will get out, and likely end up annoying your new civilian coworkers and boss just as much, but they don't have to live with you, so they just go home and bitch to their families about you instead of trying to make you adapt and become a functional worker because it's just easier that way.

And if you meet all the above criteria and are dumb enough to also enlist as a nuke, well, you probably deserve what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
The FY-15 funding bill text is finally out. 1% pay raise :toot:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Technically, OEF ended a couple days ago and was replaced by Operation Resolute Support. Not sure how that affects the actual award eligibility though. Everyone just gets GWOT EMs now, I guess?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Depending on your job and where you actually want to stay, it is easier to stay in a single homeport for a career these days than it was 10-20 years ago. No-cost PCS are almost always favored if they can be.

And yet, every loving IP detailing brief and board community brief emphasises how important it is to have "geographic diversity" in your record.

I mean, If there's billets where I'm at, I can save the Navy's money and stay where I want, but they still want to punish homesteaders for *reasons*.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

I can't speak for the RL and staff corps communities, but for URL types the Navy absolutely expects you to be preparing for command. In fact every promotion board is designed to select the officers which are most likely be selected for command in the future based on their performance to that point.

"Preparing for command" is a pretty broad term, and what it actually entails is pretty nebulous. For the SWO community in particular, things like geographical diversity aren't really as important as being successful in your sea going tours, meeting the educational wickets for command, and working hard, SWO related, staff jobs ashore. The other URL communities value different things.

Even though there are no hard and fast rules there is a general understanding of what a "good" and "bad" tour for preparing for command looks like. Detailers in general will force you to take a "good" tour so that you don't end up self selecting out of the potential CO pool.

For the IDC at least, the same is true, generally. The extremely small pool of actual command billets mean a great deal of the people never end up holding command, but the expectation is that to be competitive, promotion-wise, you have to be tracking to at least be command-eligible.

• Locked thread