Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

loving slackers can't make a thread on time, so here you go.

Never not get out, QTIYD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MancXVI posted:

In class. People are giving extra credit presentations. They're bad.

The whole concept of extra credit presentations is idiotic in that environment in the first place.

Out of morbid curiosity, what's the premise for the extra credit?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

That dude is going to get loving destroyed.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Reposting this from forever ago:

According to an ultra salty old retired master chief I knew in Pensacola, a lot of higher ups felt that Zumwalt permanently hosed up the Navy by putting morale at a higher priority. Part of the point of controversy was Zumwalt's method of distributing these changes. He used a special type of naval message known as a 'Z' gram to institute sweeping policies, which created problems since Airman Grizzly would show up to work with no shave, get burned, and be all "didn't you read the 'z' gram, chief?".

God forbid we put the morale of our sailors in high regard, ffs.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I think its fair to say that not everyone has the same experience during their time in everyone's favorite global force for good. Some people get screwed harder than others, and that's life.

That said, try to make the best of it and if navy life isn't for you then get out and get paid to go to college.

There are a lot of good career paths in the Navy, but the not-good paths far outnumber the good ones. I was fortunate and got a lot of on the job experience/training that set me up for an excellent career on the outside, but I know not everyone had those same opportunities that I had.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah uh, taking advantage of literally any of those programs as a fast attack submarine nuke is impossible. These various opportunities are not accessible due to the extremely demanding deployment, maintenance and training schedule that is constantly maintained. Its great that you've been able to take advantage of these programs, but the person you're specifically criticizing wouldn't have had the opportunity to.

Pretty much what I was trying to say, not everyone's experience in the Navy is equal, or even comparable.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

buttplug posted:

Because bubble heads never have shore duty and are the only sea-going, arduous-duty, deployable job in the Navy... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's exactly what everyone is saying. Well done.

Not everything is black and white here, not everything is an extreme edge case and no one is saying that their particular rate/job/whatever is the worst ever.

Try and have some understanding that you don't actually understand everyone else's situation. I sure don't know a drat thing about serving on submarines, I've never done it.

Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, in which case please ignore me.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Analogical posted:

I'm working an angle still with the help of a goon, but in general my ship has sailed. JAG reminded me they're on my command's side, not mine, and the IG reminded me they work for the hospital that screwed me, not for me. I can't even fix this for the next person thats in my shoes. I can go on for a long time about all this but it just pisses me off and makes me pace around my room. Before they shoved me in there, I was a kool-aid sailor. Not even done with C-school and I was ready to board for my warfare. A pin I don't even know where my books are for now.

Hoooly poo poo, good luck man. What are your plans for the future, if you don't mind sharing?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

This.

You sound like a cool dude though, hopefully it all works out.

Edit: Also sorry about the borderline ex, the Navy seems to be a magnet for the bipolars, anti-social, and borderline people in society that love to gently caress everything up.

In my experience, most people don't join the Navy because everything in their life was going great. Usually plan A already failed/was terrible and the Navy is a Plan 'B' (or 'Z', whatever). I joined because I hosed up seriously in the civilian world and I was out of good options to pay the bills.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

Oh, sorry, it wasn't meant as a blanket of "everyone in is crazy". Some are just manipulative assholes, others had no way to better their situation, and even some that saw it as a call to answer. I just see crazy most often, even out of the clinic.

Yeah, I hear you. I was trying to agree with you mostly.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Analogical posted:

My biggest regret will have been I never got to see a ship.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If you haven't gotten a resume together yet, there is a Goon-run resume company that did mine and it was loving amazing. - https://www.resumetointerviews.com - I'm pretty sure there is a discount code in the SA-mart somewhere too.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Don't worry about me ever shedding tears for aviators.

Next month's thread tag right there.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Make it "Aviators: Cool Nobles or Coolest Nobles?" :dukedog:

Really though, the few pilots I ever interacted with while I was active duty seemed like pretty chill dudes. They were all Helo pilots though, not sure if there is a difference between them and the fixed wing types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

On liberty from boot! Grad on the 9th! I got stuck in a coed state flags division. At 37 I'm the oldest by far (including all my RTCs) but in way better shape than the average teen boot. Been treated fairy well. Looking forward to Pensacola and going back home.

Congrats, how cold was it at RTC?

• Locked thread