Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boggers posted:

Navy claims that beards were banned because they prevented gas masks from sealing. Seems that they finally admitted that they simply did not like the way they looked according to this history of grooming in the Navy (with several cool pix):
http://news.usni.org/2014/10/23/brief-history-grooming-u-s-navy

quote:

Lehman said that master chiefs had been complaining that beards made the Navy look “extremely un-uniform” so it was decided that having clean-shaven sailors would bring “a general sharpening of appearance.”

Combination of :ironicat: and :chiefsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still find it very hard to give a gently caress about the naval and army academies playing football.

I caught part of it at lunch today. It's funny, all the patriotic poo poo about honor and sacrifice and so on and my thoughts are just "LOL boots"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

It seems like getting married is a requirement before commissioning though. I can count on one hand the amount of bachelor officers I worked with

I got married shortly before promoting to JG and it was a great decision. Of course, I chose to marry someone whom I had known for years and who I knew was intelligent, hardworking, and responsible. Someone who was capable of paying bills and taking the car to the mechanic and managing a household, living independently for months at a time. It really took some of the burden off of me during deployments because I didn't have to care at all about household finances or any of that because she could do that without assistance.

Also, no kids during active duty. A woman who can regularly take a pill in the morning is a must.

Marriage isn't bad, but a lot of idiots get married who shouldn't.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

poopkitty posted:

You sound like a real dreamy guy. :allears:

Incredibly so.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

My watch officer used to spend all night during the midwatch trying to get us to work for him selling Amway whatever.

After a few months, I was the only one in the control room not doing it :psyduck:

I used to spend all midwatch trying to talk my sailors out of MLM schemes, spending their GI Bill on Full Sail or whatever, and other stupid sailor poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
When I decided to go into the Navy I dropped engineering as fast as possible. No way I was doing that poo poo for no career reason.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Walking past a line of very junior/fresh out of bootcamp is a nightmare because of this.

Going to school in Newport and having to deal with all the OCS people hurt my brain.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I preferred when other people moved all my poo poo for me so I didn't have to do a loving thing.

That was pretty awesome because packing loving sucks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

My favorite part of that presentation was the spelling and grammatical errors on every slide. Being narcissistic enough to believe that a PowerPoint with fitreps and awards write ups would be something that is well received by your next command is bad enough. But not even bothering to use the spell check included in PowerPoint before you send it off is stupid on another level.

Every engineering major complains about having to take non-STEM courses like English but there are reasons.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

germskr posted:

I think this is a noble problem only. I can't imagine the look on a lord's face when they realize a serf can write, let alone read good. :rolleyes:

Oh please. If I could have found a single person in my division who could write a unit SITREP without constant assistance I'd have been over the moon.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DustyNuts posted:

I had a Skipper that was an English major, and he would correct the use of apostrophes on reports in the usual CO red ink like he was a schoolmarm.

And thanks for the kind words to everyone that wrote them, I appreciate it. I haven't had much time to address questions lately.

Halfway done with PCS leave! Chillin in San Diego for the next 8 days before the trip back. I shaved the gently caress out of my leave beard because it was annoying, scraggly and my wife despised it. Good riddance. Guess I'll try again in 6 years after I retire.

I was an English major and I wanted to punch the skipper or admiral every time they edited one of my reports to include improper grammar and syntax.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I believe the answer is that at the highest levels, NECC is a giant directionless ball of gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arione posted:

come in one leave? :bahgawd:

Who the gently caress answers the phone from anyone at the command while on leave?

• Locked thread