Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

justice4trayvawn posted:

I can't get over the fact that they didn't make her deploy because some dudes saw her gross rear end bush

And this why we still have endless amounts of SAPR and sexual harassment training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Slapfighting over USMAPS and college credits aside, I don't know of any job in the civilian world that lets you get shot off the end of a boat in an aluminum can at 150 mph. That's honestly kinda fun.

Dunno what non aviation guys get out of staying in, though. gently caress that noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akt6ifvLmnc

:hfive:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

justice4trayvawn posted:

Fighter Jet Pilot Man seems like a p decent gig and cool also!!!

I don't claim to understand every detail of E3 life although I did come from a pretty blue collar family. But I can see how Pandas latest post set butttplug off. Even when I read it I was kind of like wtf dude. And yeah I honestly believe aviation is the best for everyone, from E1 on up. :dukedog:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

justice4trayvawn posted:

I used to lol when I'd see those airman names on the jets.....do they ever even get a ride......

In jets not really, mostly because of all the hoops you have to jump through to get non-aircrew a ride. In Prowlers we did have a flying troubleshooter qual you could get, mostly for ATs but we didn't get to use it often. We did get to a few special events like an airborne re-enlistment but it was pretty rare. I think most aircrew would love to give every single person in the squadron a ride if they wanted one.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

You guys are all fags.

You're just jealous because you don't have the "I was underway" excuse to fall back on any more.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I'm with MML. I think you should definitely go the congressional complaint route.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Angry Fish posted:

Also, hey bubbleheads! Looks like the Navy purchased an overpriced piece of junk eReader for your underwater voyages:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5688760/the-navy-built-an-e-reader-nerd

This is old, but I find it funny given that I bet the contract for these things calls for a unit price of $980 ea. Doesn't everybody and their mother own a Kindle already?

Yes, and that's exactly the reason the Navy built their own.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

The whole diverse background thing is the very definition of double speak. Of course I'm speaking from an aviator's POV but our career path is very defined and good luck even making operational department head if you don't stick to the path. And if you don't make operational department head you aren't making O5 as an aviator. Perfect example of that is doing a PEP tour (exchange tour flying with a foreign military). That's the very definition of a diverse experience and yet it is not considered a "career enhancing" tour at all. Pilots have a little better shot at screening operational DH with a PEP tour under your belt but again, good luck if you are an NFO. I have a buddy who did a PEP tour and didn't even make O4. Extremely intelligent guy, good officer and NFO but got totally hosed by that decision.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

This is from a Proceedings article and talking with some Os in my time but, isn't this the same with how we're sending the mediocre, middle of the road people to the War Colleges and other places where it is suppose to be the best, brightest, and next generation of Navy leaders.

War College in residence pretty much isn't even an option unless you are firmly on "the path." Most guys I know go while they are waiting for their command tour. JPME is now a check in the box items so a lot of guys do it via correspondence which is a joke. Some guys do manage to finagle their way in but by and large if you got in it's because you have been selected for command or have a reasonably good shot at doing so. Again, this is all very aviation-centric, I have no idea how it works for the other warfare communities.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Nah man, what really adds diversity to a pilot's career is flying ensigns around Mississippi in T-45s. I mean, flying with the French? What did France ever contribute to our military? Answer me that, lieutenant. :smug:

Training command is a career ender as well. One of our LTs here who was an EP guy in his fleet tour, EP guy here and instructor of the year, failed to select for DH. Pilots again have slightly better luck but we have a lot guys not even make O4. Of course no NFO should ever want to come to a training command now that we've been relegated to being sim bitches that get barely enough flight time to meet our minimums.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I will say that of all the URL communities, aviation is absolutely the most restrictive when it comes to career progression based on what I know about all of them. I suspect it's a direct result of how long it takes you guys from commission to being an actual operational aviator. The community just can't afford to have you guys stray too far.

People talk a lot of poo poo about SWOs, but aviators seem to be actively punished for not kissing the ring enough

Yeah the initial time to train is a huge part of it and I meant mention that. I hit my fleet squadron almost exactly twothree years after I commissioned and I had no appreciable delays in my training. The other thing that kind of screws us is the fact that our MSR doesn't even start ticking until we get winged so the Navy gets us coming and going. By the time I met my initial MSR I was already in the DH window and appeared to be on the path and boy howdy was I wrong about that. Being selected for OP-T DH added additional years to my MSR and so by the time I could get out again I was already halfway+ to retirement.

e: Three years, not two.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 19, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Lou Takki posted:

Next month's thread tag right there.

Make it "Aviators: Cool Nobles or Coolest Nobles?" :dukedog:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

I thought you were a nerd NFO? Just trying to look cool by proxy eh?

PS - Hang all brown shoes

IDC warrior trying to call someone a nerd lol. :sissies:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Analogical posted:

One of my friends from college is a flight noble. I visited him down in Pensacola at that lovely airfield they train on and he showed me their ready room and I started shaking with rage

all brown shoes must hang

What squadron?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Hekk posted:

I thought all movers were supposed to both pack your household goods at the pick up location and unpack your goods at their destination. I've had a bunch of lazy movers before that try to drop my stuff off in my garage or whatever but I always make them pack everything and unpack and position my stuff the way I want it.

This is correct. And the guys that drop off will do everything in their power to get out of unpacking.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

Divorced woman says rescued cat "rescued her". After tip, 4 beers was around 12/beer. Thanks Obama.

Edit: Stop the presses, dude wearing a 1st Cav (I think, who knows?) hat just took his terrible family to the head of the connector of flight.

Hang all Cav. Hang all brown shoes.

I had to deal with 1st Cav a lot in Iraq. They really are the worst.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Every engineering major complains about having to take non-STEM courses like English but there are reasons.

On the flip side, do not become known as the guy who writes well. I had one CO who has me proofread almost every email he sent anyone above his rank (O5).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

you will also be tasked to be the official JAGMAN Investigation officer for every command investigation until you die. Careful, serfs...Chiefs can be tapped as IOs.

I both write well and was a command legal officer so I get all the "special" CIs.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh please. If I could have found a single person in my division who could write a unit SITREP without constant assistance I'd have been over the moon.

I had a Chief once who was good at writing FITREPs and I had to keep pinching myself to make sure I was awake.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

My friends in the community said the opposite. According to them the merger put the RIVRONS under traditional ATFP minded people who promptly threw out all of the operational knowledge gained in Iraq, and curtailed the sort of "get it done" attitude that had been instilled there because it wasn't IAW whatever stupid FP instruction they had written. They are also much more risk averse and tended to treat the RCBs like suped up security boats rather then offensive asserts that can go outside the wire as it were.

In many respects they are two completely opposite in terms of their mission. So thinking they could be combined was pretty drat asinine.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

MancXVI posted:

Know what a great feeling is?

Not knowing 90% of the acronyms on this page. I am so lost and it's wonderful.

Too bad there hasn't been more UEU discussion, eh? ;)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

MancXVI posted:

I guess. Here's my UEU story: I almost got destroyed by one when it tumbled off a pallet jack. Thing was surprisingly acrobatic.

e: curious, who do you know that knew me?

No one. I do keep in touch with several of my former ATs who you may or may not know. I just remember you posting about being an I-level maintainer and on UEU specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who the gently caress answers the phone from anyone at the command while on leave?

That's such a JV move I don't even know wtf.

• Locked thread