Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DustyNuts posted:

PCS on Monday, 35 days of leave before school. I joined the Navy at 18, 14 years ago. I'm gonna try to grow my very first beard guys.

I say I am going to grow a beard every time I go on leave. It usually lasts less than a week before the itchiness becomes unbearable and I wind up shaving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Analogical posted:

Whelp, hotel is kicking me out in the morning at checkout time because the approver for my RTA has a week of leave left and nobody else in the office seems to be capable of doing it themselves. Gonna throw my poo poo into my truck tonight, maybe invest in a harmonica to play behind the liquor store

Don't Navy dudes get government credit cards to put poo poo on until admin guys run the paperwork to pay it? If not, why don't you just put it on your credit card until things get sorted out?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

Only if the finance guys at his command don't suck a big pile of dicks. You're supposed to be issued a GOVCC for those kinds of things when you go TAD, but if his admin/finance guys are terrible, who knows what happened.

The fact that he would rather pack his poo poo into his truck and play a harmonica behind a liquor store than put poo poo on his own credit card says a lot of things about his N1 department, none of them good.

I think admin/finance is terrible across the military. Over time I've learned just to pay for poo poo out of pocket and settle it on the back end. That way I know the right people are getting paid. If you leave it up to them to pay your government credit card, your credit rating will get all hosed up and no one will be held responsible for loving you over.

This usually isn't an option for everyone though (mostly junior guys). Especially if you are TAD for months at a time and don't have a 20k credit limit on a card or something.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I used to lurk in this thread a bit since I am getting ready to be on a ship for the next 3 years. Thread quality has gone to poo poo so if you guys could post better, that'd be great.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Christoff posted:

Yo do they not get in trouble for making those videos?

Does anyone give a poo poo about the football teams outside of the academy peeps? Like, I don't think I ever even heard a game mentioned. I think one of the Marine LTs I worked with was a linebacker (big dude) but yeah.

Wish Navy boxing was actually a thing tho (outside of the academy)

I knew a supply Lt that was a lineman for the Navy football team. He wound up getting fired as the SupO and resigned his commission after he failed his weigh in/tape and didn't get career designated.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Analogical posted:

The foot of my hotel is an ethnic center, and the only store is an H-Mart. It's been six months of food I don't understand. I had fried sea cucumber last month and threw up in the parking lot (they have a restaurant stand.. thing) Usually I can't read what I buy but Bacchus energy I couldn't pass up

Even their labels have accents

:wth: :10bux::10bux: for a tiny thing of sushi? That poo poo better be made of some rare fish or something for it to cost so much.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is PO1 E-6? If so are you saying you picked up E-6 in five years?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SpaceJustice posted:

It's not that uncommon in certain rates.

That seems pretty fast but I've heard of Marines getting SSgt in 6 years or so. Too bad the Navy doesn't consider PO1s SNCOs or Senior NCOs or whatever you all call them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KetTarma posted:

I just want to point out that every navy spouse sells either mary kay, shakelogy, or some other MLM scheme

Scentsy candles too, or whatever the gently caress they are called.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Geizkragen posted:

Last time I PCS'd I had to weigh when I left empty and then full when I arrived. Pretty sure that's how the instruction is written, do they not make people do that though?

I ditty moved from North Carolina to California this last PCS and I weighed the truck full before I left and then weighed it empty in California right before I fueled it up and turned it back in. I don't know how much a tank of gas weighs but 24' Penske trucks hold a poo poo ton of fuel.

I too have heard all kinds of horror stories about people hiding concrete in their goods and somehow getting slammed for cheating the system. The few dollars you might earn was never worth the risk for me I guess.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

Thank god I live in Japan then. The japanese company that the navy contracts out will come out and pack all your things for you before they ship them.

I thought all movers were supposed to both pack your household goods at the pick up location and unpack your goods at their destination. I've had a bunch of lazy movers before that try to drop my stuff off in my garage or whatever but I always make them pack everything and unpack and position my stuff the way I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ActusRhesus posted:

Congrats! List of things to do upon completing boot:

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2012/02/sunday-funnies.html

Best of luck to you!

My favorite part of that presentation was the spelling and grammatical errors on every slide. Being narcissistic enough to believe that a PowerPoint with fitreps and awards write ups would be something that is well received by your next command is bad enough. But not even bothering to use the spell check included in PowerPoint before you send it off is stupid on another level.

• Locked thread