Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

In class. People are giving extra credit presentations. They're bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Lou Takki posted:

The whole concept of extra credit presentations is idiotic in that environment in the first place.

Out of morbid curiosity, what's the premise for the extra credit?

Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Reposting this from forever ago:

Back in the early 70s while Zumwalt was CNO he did a bunch of poo poo to improve quality of life for the Navy, such as allowing ship's company to maintain civilian clothing for overseas ports, creating all sorts of benefits for dependents, establishing wives ombudsmen, and breaking down segregation barriers for women and minorities. He stated that fresh paint applied before a visit was a sign of poor leadership and took steps to remove some of the khaki barrier by standardizing the dress uniforms for all hands. His most controversial move was arguably the relaxation of grooming standards that allowed for beards and haircuts that didn't adhere to the "off the ears" standard. If you want to see what the Navy looked like post-Zumwalt, watch The Final Countdown.

According to an ultra salty old retired master chief I knew in Pensacola, a lot of higher ups felt that Zumwalt permanently hosed up the Navy by putting morale at a higher priority. Part of the point of controversy was Zumwalt's method of distributing these changes. He used a special type of naval message known as a 'Z' gram to institute sweeping policies, which created problems since Airman Grizzly would show up to work with no shave, get burned, and be all "didn't you read the 'z' gram, chief?".

These days, the justification for no facial hair is CBR protection. However, the manner in which grooming standards were restricted doesn't fall along those lines. I haven't accessed the actual messages setting the regulations (can anybody help me with that?) but the first wave came in 1981 when E-3 and below and midshipmen were disallowed beards.

The Pittsburgh Press, July 11, 1981 posted:

The get-tough messages sent by Adm. Thomas Hayward, the current naval chief, were clearly designed to tighten discipline among lower-ranking enlisted men and to signal officers that responsibility for "pride and professionalism" rests with them.
Essentially, removing the privilege from the lower ranks warmed them up to never having it to begin with, which allowed for an easier transition when they fully did away with the policy in 1984. Consider the following SECNAV quote from The Milwaukee Sentinel:

The Milwaukee Sentinel, December 15, 1984 posted:

"Today the sailors who wear beards keep them well-trimmed and look generally pretty squared away. But there is a feeling among the chiefs that ... since they are so few and far between, ... it looks extremely un-uniform. So we are responding to that view of the chiefs."
Easy to say when the bulk of junior enlisted aren't even authorized them!

References:
Admiral Zumwalt: Z- Grams (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq93-2.htm)
Navy Decides Sailors May Not Have Beards - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/1984/12/15/us/navy-decides-sailors-may-not-have-beards.html)
Navy in Dope, Beard Crackdown - The Pittsburgh Press (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xvMdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KF0EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6605,3664422)
Navy to ban beards again - The Milwaukee Sentinel (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=KHZSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YBIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3850,3733913)

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Does anybody have a link to that paper from the 70s, titled "The End of the Military" or something like that?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

buttplug posted:

Because bubble heads never have shore duty and are the only sea-going, arduous-duty, deployable job in the Navy... :rolleyes:

this is a really bad post

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Analogical posted:

Yeah I'm only talking the bulk of the CTI community. I have no idea what goes on inside those giant metal floating things

Lots of cuddling and crotch grabbing

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Arione posted:

so much this!!!!

like if u cry evrytim 😿

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

poo poo quality, but this is back on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhioeOeOHsA

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I thought "riverine" was a joke at first but then you assholes kept talking about it. Am I having a stroke?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

VBSS? That's not an NECC thing.

Know what a great feeling is?

Not knowing 90% of the acronyms on this page. I am so lost and it's wonderful.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Too bad there hasn't been more UEU discussion, eh? ;)

I guess. Here's my UEU story: I almost got destroyed by one when it tumbled off a pallet jack. Thing was surprisingly acrobatic.

e: curious, who do you know that knew me?

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

No one. I do keep in touch with several of my former ATs who you may or may not know. I just remember you posting about being an I-level maintainer and on UEU specifically.

Ah, word. Tell them all I said hi.

• Locked thread