Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
FBI charges Saudi-born naval engineer over plans to sink aircraft carrier

quote:

A Naval engineer is facing federal charges for allegedly giving an undercover FBI agent secret documents on a new aircraft carrier being built in Norfolk, Va.

Saudi-born Mostafa Ahmed Awwad, 35, of Yorktown, Va., was arrested Friday on an FBI affidavit claiming he planned to use a dead-drop location along a secluded hiking trail to hand off secret information about the Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier, set to be delivered to the Navy in 2016, Fox News reported Saturday.

During a hotel meeting on Oct. 9, Mr. Awwad gave the undercover agent, posing as an Egyptian spy named “Yousef,” secret drawings of the vessel and “discussed where to strike the vessel with a missile in order sink it,” the affidavit says.

"Okay, so there's this two-meter thermal exhaust port at the end of a heavily defended trench..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Slapfighting over USMAPS and college credits aside, I don't know of any job in the civilian world that lets you get shot off the end of a boat in an aluminum can at 150 mph. That's honestly kinda fun.

Dunno what non aviation guys get out of staying in, though. gently caress that noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akt6ifvLmnc

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pandasmores posted:

TL;DR: The Navy comes up with retarded solutions.

They did this at Fallon too and it's pretty silly. They closed down the galley, then renovated the seldom-used dining area of the O Club to add a cafeteria-style buffet line with a fixed price per meal. But it's totally not a galley! The food was actually pretty good, but I don't see why they went to all that trouble to essentially re-invent the wheel. poo poo, I just remembered that our CSes even went TAD there just like they normally would at a galley or on the boat.

You can also get a fixed-price meal at the base cafe/E Club that sells burgers and such. It's like they just arbitrarily made it a lot harder and more disorganized to get a meal.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Nah man, what really adds diversity to a pilot's career is flying ensigns around Mississippi in T-45s. I mean, flying with the French? What did France ever contribute to our military? Answer me that, lieutenant. :smug:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Boon posted:

Walking past a line of very junior/fresh out of bootcamp enlisted is a nightmare because of this.

One of my friends got lost in Pensacola one time and ended up walking through the A-school barracks. Apparently they call attention on deck for ensigns. She felt terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hekk posted:

My favorite part of that presentation was the spelling and grammatical errors on every slide. Being narcissistic enough to believe that a PowerPoint with fitreps and awards write ups would be something that is well received by your next command is bad enough. But not even bothering to use the spell check included in PowerPoint before you send it off is stupid on another level.

I'd make a SWO joke, but that's demeaning even for them. Also because there are plenty of aviation idiot emails floating around the grapevine...

• Locked thread