Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

MancXVI posted:

Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio.

Golden ratio ppt better have pretty lady faces or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

What's the point?

if you live paycheck to paycheck

I think you answered your own question. Remember, this is the military.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Sometimes I feel like I'm getting to gently caress the Navy back for all of those years of active duty weinerbutting.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

just signed an offer letter to transfer in to my top pick for engineering internships for this summer at the place i was at last year. feeling pretty good

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

buttplug posted:

Because bubble heads never have shore duty and are the only sea-going, arduous-duty, deployable job in the Navy... :rolleyes:

The first part of your post is pretty spot on, actually.

*Nuke bitching*

As a surface-nuke, I averaged 3 section duty + 12 hour workdays for about 8 of the 9 years I was on a ship. When I say duty, I mean it was down in the plant, skipping meals, usually 2-3 hours of sleep if I was lucky, not the "sit phone watch at the barracks and do a tour" like you might be thinking. Every 3rd day you're working all night. Every 3rd day you're sleeping off duty once you get home at 5-6pm. Good luck attending classes.

Then again, submarine-nukes had it worse than me in almost every way since they are regularly 2 section.

The only normal shore duty that nukes get is recruiting. Everything else (except for a few positions teaching A-school that mainly go to chiefs that have already done an arduous shore duty) is about as bad as sea duty. The -best- part of my shore duty was 5 section rotating shiftwork, ~10 hour days, 7 day workweeks.

*end nuke bitching*

Expecting anyone to have time to "better themselves" in that career path is ridiculous. If you have time to do all of those IT certs and a masters degree, you have a cake job.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

sorry i got excited

it is finals week so blame that

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

the only success needed from the military is an honorable discharge

mark this date for it is the day that i qtiyd moker

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'll restate my post:

Some communities have shore duties that are just as poo poo as their sea duties. For people in those communities, the only option is to wait until postEAOS for significant self improvement.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

uhg thats a hideous paunch

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My dog peed on our return_to_store bag so I'm not sure if they'll accept it anymore.

Here's your piss soaked clothes back.

Bad doggg

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Analogical posted:

They're Senior Junior NCOs. SJNCOs SIJ NOKS

At PO1 most departments seem to relegate you to being a secretary for a Chief. None of the ones I know have much autonomy or directly lead anyone.

I actually knew a CTI1 who made it in four and a half years. Left DLI, got 2nd class first cycle out of A-School then NECC sent him to Iraq with some pixel-faced group and he got capped for doing something he never specified, i always assumed it was giving a captain head in the midst of a firefight

It's not that hard if you're in the right rate. I put on first after about the same amount of time. I was only 22 at the time plus I look young anyway. I had someone ask me at least once a week if I was wearing the right uniform. Several people even demanded to see my ID card.

I then proceeded to not make chief for the next 6 years.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

\Portsmouth Naval Hospital

FAQ answers:

Yes. Lock your doors.

No. Don't go to any of the nearby strip clubs.

The smell comes from the shipyard.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

poopkitty posted:

Bro I'm so with you. McDonald's doesn't give a gently caress if you're married. I mean, I get that it's hard for spouses to find jobs and that's why they incentivize housing - but I don't give a gently caress. You chose this life, suck it up buttercup. Everyone should get BAH commensurate with rank regardless of dependent status. (And the OHA process is beyond hosed, especially for dual mil. At least it's in the hands of foreign nationals with NO FREAKING CLUE what you're talking about when you ask questions.)

Also, they charge for on base daycare by rank. What the gently caress is that? Why am I paying in the top tier because we both have jobs, and the SN with a "full time working" spouse who sells loving mary kay pays $10 a week for their 3 kids. Bullshit.

I just want to point out that every navy spouse sells either mary kay, shakelogy, or some other MLM scheme

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

we had one actually come in and try to con people with that poo poo in our command gym (NSW...they get all the fun toys). Come learn how unhealthy you are with this health test, and then buy our vitamin crap!

I think I put the fear of god into her chief husband when I cited all the navy regs and government ethics rules about seniors soliciting subordinates.

My watch officer used to spend all night during the midwatch trying to get us to work for him selling Amway whatever.

After a few months, I was the only one in the control room not doing it :psyduck:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I used to spend all midwatch trying to talk my sailors out of MLM schemes, spending their GI Bill on Full Sail or whatever, and other stupid sailor poo poo.

It's me. I'm the one that wasted TA money on an online degree.

At least I'm doing a real one now :unsmith:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

No kidding. I saw a dude who graduated from Excelsior get accepted to a masters program at Concordia in Wisconsin which is a legitimate (private) school.

I go to wgu but that's mainly because certs are rolled in with tuition for their it programs. If I wasn't in the navy I'd be in an actual school.

My semi-fake Excelsior degree got me accepted to ODU's master in engineering management program... though I'm not sure if that's something to brag about.
My engineering school accepted 0 from there. I usually don't even list it on my resume.

For what it's worth, I've only heard good things about WGU.

SpaceJustice posted:

You can't really waste TA. On the flip side, I got my class schedule for the Spring semester! How was the Calculus for you? I haven't done it in around seven years and am a little nervous.

Calc 1: Struggled a lot at first, had to learn how to stay caught up with the highschool kids. I discovered that trigonometry was actually really important.
Calc 2: Struggled more, gradually got caught up. I regret not learning the sequences section as much as I should've. Basically, you need to have every trig identity, euler identity, and every derivative and integral equation memorized.
Calc 3: Had a poo poo teacher, didn't learn that much. I had to relearn this on my own in diffeq2. I've been told that this will be even more important in my electromagnetics class than it is now.
Linear Algebra: Cake. Not worth mentioning. It's useful stuff though.
Diffeq 1: Great teacher, learned a lot, figured out math. became a math person. Don't forget linear algebra because you use it a lot once you get into systems of differential equations.
Diffeq 2: A little rough in some areas (Method of Frobenius was the hardest part. read the wikipedia article if you want a headache) but there was a ton of overlap with engineering so it helped. Fourier series expansion and Fourier transforms are really important in engineering so don't skimp here.

E: If you have math questions, feel free to PM me. I'm pretty good at it at this point.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

However, Stats and probs was the most valuable math class I ever took. It's a shame that a lot of Engineering curriculums don't require it. If you have room for a math elective I would highly recommend you take at least the intro class.

For some reason, our prob and stats course is offered as a 400 level engineering class for EEs.

Welp, took my last final. I have one presentation to do for a pretty cool math elective class I took then that's it until mid-Jan.

12 classes left.

• Locked thread