Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

krispykremessuck posted:

what about positive-pressure breathing systems like a scba? I've always heard that it doesn't matter in that case.

I get the cbrn side where a gas mask wouldn't be positive-pressure, though I typically think if you're donning mopp gear for non-training reasons on a ship you're already hosed, probably

For a standard postive pressure system it shouldn't matter too much. Also, the SCBA is a demand regulated postive pressure system so a poor seal can have a negative effect on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

I never had an issue with my OBA or EAB having a seal after I had been at sea for weeks without shaving.

Long as it's not some ZZ top beard poo poo it's fine.

Yeah, this is the thing. A trim, well maintained beard won't be an issue unless you're already pushing the limits of whatever mask size fits you. It's only big, old, lumberjack beards that will really have an impact.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

An E-3 claiming to know better then everyone else at their command and be the lynchpin that holds an organization together?!?!? :monocle:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 10, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Slapfighting over USMAPS and college credits aside, I don't know of any job in the civilian world that lets you get shot off the end of a boat in an aluminum can at 150 mph. That's honestly kinda fun.

Dunno what non aviation guys get out of staying in, though. gently caress that noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akt6ifvLmnc

Being captain of a ship is pretty cool. V:shobon:V

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

What I have learned from the last few pages of care in this thread is that it is apparently impossible to be both critical of an organization and successful within it. Gotta pick one or the other apparently.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

lmao fly away troll

the only success needed from the military is an honorable discharge

:qq:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

enjoy being Top Retard In Charge of ManChildren, congrats you made something of yourself lol

:qq:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Null Integer posted:

Nah, you can hate it as much as you want and move up.. Just don't project how much you hate it on everyone else, then your just a bitch.

I agree.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. There is a LOT of poo poo that is hosed up with the Navy (and military culture in general). I could literally sit down and write a book on all of the hosed up experiences I've had so far. BUT, there's a lot of good with that bad, too, and there *are* a lot of opportunities to be had. Just because I didn't poo poo on the Navy in the last couple pages (because I was busy making GBS threads on Panda for being a perpetual whiner) doesn't mean I don't have my own gripes about the Navy. I started rolling my eyes when I began typing up this response and still haven't stopped because I have images of all the truly, truly stupid poo poo I've seen Big Navy during my time in. And you're a SWO - that more or less sums up your entire ~11 years right? ;)

I agree with you about this. :ssh:

My point was more to laugh at panda because the way he makes it sound the only way too be successful at all is to be the epitome of :chiefsay: which is objectively not true but is a distinction that is totally lost on your standard, entitled, whiny 18-20 year old.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

KetTarma posted:

mark this date for it is the day that i qtiyd moker

poo poo, why didn't somebody say J4T was moker? He's generally a pretty cool dude.

Like I disagree with the idea that it is impossible to use the Navy to improve your position, but I also agree that said opportunities are not the same across the service, like for nukes in general.

Basically, this:

DownByTheWooter posted:

it's almost as if when you choose your rate, you also choose

... your fate !?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

enjoy being Top Retard In Charge of ManChildren, congrats you made something of yourself lol

Also, don't conflate success in the Navy with success at life.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

14 months later they find out they sent me based off someone else's medical records (in another branch, with my same name)

Wait... Like they grabbed you out if the blue and sent you to rehab, or you had to be DAPA screened for another reason and during that screening they used the wrong record?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

Yeah it was involuntary. I got my chips up through black for 1yr sober, then DAPA released me. AA is really, really cult-like. I'm not even strictly anti-AA, but the things they practice and the way they do it bothered me. It just gives people a reason to not feel accountable for their actions, because "it's a disease" and not a choice to drink. I understand for some people it's an actual dependency, but for others that kind of phrasing becomes an excuse for their behavior and a reason to not take responsibility for their actions.

For the people that actually need a higher power to fix themselves though, it can be a godsend and I've seen it turn people around. But, without insulting anyone here who may be active still, those types of people are a specific variety.

I got pulled from C-School one day because my ex said I drink too much, she later admitted to me she wanted me to lose my clearance so I wouldn't work with her. Whirlwind of DAPA/ASAP later and I'm told I'm a raving alcoholic and I have to go to rehab that same week and a Chief drops me off for the worst 50 days of my life. Later on i requested my medical records and realized they had me pegged as a CTI1 and my interviews were mixed with an army warrant officer who had the same name as me, who was also there with me and was former navy. The Colonel/Head Psych was putting his daily interviews with us in both our files. Once he told me "If you didn't have the history I can see you have, I'd believe you that you weren't an alcoholic"

Now it effects my specwar assessment opportunities and most of the programs I'm willing to re-enlist for. My command has treated proof they hosed up like a scandal and I consistently get bounced around. I'm fairly sure I'm only TDY a thousand miles away for most of the year so they can ignore the problem, since I got sent here right after bringing it up with my Divo backed up with my medical records and audio files of (every single one of) my DAPA interviews.

But I'm not bitter.

Bro, I ask you with all seriousness, have you contacted an IG or at the very least a JAG?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Don't forget to try the hail mary that is a congressional inquiry. Your case sounds like it might be the one in million that goes somewhere.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, in general Congressionals are worthless, however occasionally one gains stream and something happens because of it. There's really no reason not to do it, especially since you're probably not really worried about any more blowback from the command.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Ryand-Smith posted:

My god, you mean people don't get to grow beards while being in? I feel pretty good with this beard right now.. All jokes aside, why is the Army/Navy game thing starting to explode, its filling up facebook with the 'viral marketing b grade youtube videos.

Because it's today.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The Army/Navy Game is a lot of fun.

One year we used food to bribe some little kids to sit above the entrance tunnel to the seating area and knock covers off the heads, and food out of the hands, of cadets with those inflatable clapper tube things.

Wandering the streets of Philly in uniform afterwards was the first time I was ever propositioned by a hooker.

Good times.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

poopkitty posted:

Your LPO is an rear end in a top hat.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

lol at people who think all marriages are A-School marriages.

I visited boot camp as part of the CO pipeline. My only advice to those kids was to not marry their girlfriends until after they do at least one deployment together. I doubt any of them well listen... :(

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

KetTarma posted:

My semi-fake Excelsior degree got me accepted to ODU's master in engineering management program... though I'm not sure if that's something to brag about.
My engineering school accepted 0 from there. I usually don't even list it on my resume.

For what it's worth, I've only heard good things about WGU.

Calc 1: Struggled a lot at first, had to learn how to stay caught up with the highschool kids. I discovered that trigonometry was actually really important.
Calc 2: Struggled more, gradually got caught up. I regret not learning the sequences section as much as I should've. Basically, you need to have every trig identity, euler identity, and every derivative and integral equation memorized.
Calc 3: Had a poo poo teacher, didn't learn that much. I had to relearn this on my own in diffeq2. I've been told that this will be even more important in my electromagnetics class than it is now.
Linear Algebra: Cake. Not worth mentioning. It's useful stuff though.
Diffeq 1: Great teacher, learned a lot, figured out math. became a math person. Don't forget linear algebra because you use it a lot once you get into systems of differential equations.
Diffeq 2: A little rough in some areas (Method of Frobenius was the hardest part. read the wikipedia article if you want a headache) but there was a ton of overlap with engineering so it helped. Fourier series expansion and Fourier transforms are really important in engineering so don't skimp here.

E: If you have math questions, feel free to PM me. I'm pretty good at it at this point.

DiffEQ1 (or ODE depending on how it's labeled) is my loving kryptonite. There is no rhyme or reason to it, you just have to memorize the bag of tricks for the various orders of equations. gently caress that class. Both times I had to take it.

DiffEQ2 (or PDE) on the other hand I really enjoyed, and learning Fourier transforms and understanding what's going on in the transition from time domain to frequency domain is legitimately one of the most important things I learned for my Engineering masters.

However, Stats and probs was the most valuable math class I ever took. It's a shame that a lot of Engineering curriculums don't require it. If you have room for a math elective I would highly recommend you take at least the intro class.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

i only use algebra and geometry

all other maths are for nerds/computers

Mostly I agree, but having a rough idea in my head of a frequency range for a given signal shape in the time domain with respect to antenna choice was useful in some of my EE classes.

And I still contend that I use stats and probs principles almost every day. :colbert:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Angry Fish posted:

Is that "too expensive" excuse real? I mean, do they have a literal in-house bucket of cash that they grab wads of $100s for the particular day to utilize as their budget? What is going on in PSD and the detailing world, I would really like to know.

The short answer is yes, it is real sometimes.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Angry Fish posted:

Thank you for that info. I'm assuming that the amount of cash goes up and down depending on the funding situation with the DoD.

Correct. It all depends on the budget situation, and can flucuate from year to year and even from quarter to quarter. It can also vary depending on the "buisness rules" from CNP on trying to control personnel costs at any given time.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

e: For real question about the Navy, do all officers have a realistic expectation of command in their career path? Or is it limited to a narrow career path? I get what's being said about assignment diversity, but that's some high level doublespeak that has to do with positional churn to save any one place from burning to the ground at the hands of one really lovely officer.

I don't understand your question. Are you asking if all officers themselves have an expectation of command, or if the Navy expects all officers to have command?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

e2: That's still not right. What is THE NAVY's expectation of officers, should you be preparing for command, or if you're in certain specialties is it basically not an option due to more suitable individuals? I don't know how the Navy screens for command, and that's why I'm asking. The diverse tour thing is goofy to me not because of the concept, but because the amount of officers in general, and the limited command slots.

I can't speak for the RL and staff corps communities, but for URL types the Navy absolutely expects you to be preparing for command. In fact every promotion board is designed to select the officers which are most likely be selected for command in the future based on their performance to that point.

"Preparing for command" is a pretty broad term, and what it actually entails is pretty nebulous. For the SWO community in particular, things like geographical diversity aren't really as important as being successful in your sea going tours, meeting the educational wickets for command, and working hard, SWO related, staff jobs ashore. The other URL communities value different things.

Even though there are no hard and fast rules there is a general understanding of what a "good" and "bad" tour for preparing for command looks like. Detailers in general will force you to take a "good" tour so that you don't end up self selecting out of the potential CO pool.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

Thanks, this answered my question. So does what Octopode said. I'm still adjusting to how the Navy does business, and, if nothing else my change in careers has given me an acute appreciation for where I came from.

Did you just commission?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

This is from a Proceedings article and talking with some Os in my time but, isn't this the same with how we're sending the mediocre, middle of the road people to the War Colleges and other places where it is suppose to be the best, brightest, and next generation of Navy leaders.

I want to effort post respond to this. Maybe later.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Again, this is all very aviation-centric, I have no idea how it works for the other warfare communities.

I will say that of all the URL communities, aviation is absolutely the most restrictive when it comes to career progression based on what I know about all of them. I suspect it's a direct result of how long it takes you guys from commission to being an actual operational aviator. The community just can't afford to have you guys stray too far.

People talk a lot of poo poo about SWOs, but aviators seem to be actively punished for not kissing the ring enough

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah the initial time to train is a huge part of it and I meant mention that. I hit my fleet squadron almost exactly two years after I commissioned and I had no appreciable delays in my training. The other thing that kind of screws us is the fact that our MSR doesn't even start ticking until we get winged so the Navy gets us coming and going. By the time I met my initial MSR I was already in the DH window and appeared to be on the path and boy howdy was I wrong about that. Being selected for OP-T DH added additional years to my MSR and so by the time I could get out again I was already halfway+ to retirement.

Yeah, MSR is huge for you guys too. I'm still waiting to see what the fallout of the last DH board is going to be. Clearly something's got to give.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

This is from a Proceedings article and talking with some Os in my time but, isn't this the same with how we're sending the mediocre, middle of the road people to the War Colleges and other places where it is suppose to be the best, brightest, and next generation of Navy leaders.

I was trying to type up a long effort post to properly answer this but blah.

The short answer is that the Naval War College (the only one that's actually worth a drat) is very different now than when it started. Today, it primarily exists to educate officers on joint doctrine and give a token master's degree to those still on track for command, not necessarily those best suited to going to school and "thinking big thoughts".

It still does good, high level, strategic thought and doctrine review but that is primarily done by civilian PhD's with a small cadre of officer students (who apply for the groups that do it) assisting them.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Geizkragen posted:

True, but 'kissing the ring' still translates to flying an operational aircraft so please don't shed a tear for us.

Don't worry about me ever shedding tears for aviators.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hang all brown shoes

Here is the next thread title.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

IDC warrior trying to call someone a nerd lol. :sissies:

lol

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Still on PCS leave report: Went to Medieval Times in Dallas. Front row seats, and our knight (yellow) fuckin owned all the other scrubs and won the scripted tournament. This must be what it feels like when your favorite WWE dude wins a match you're at. Food was OK. Sparks fly off the swords when they clash. I had 4 beers for the price of three six packs. Still worth it.

OK back to officer chat

Medieval Times rules.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

germskr posted:

Can any noble confirm receiving salutes feels like this?

My lord

Basically, yes.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

I both write well and was a command legal officer so I get all the "special" CIs.

Ah, someone else who knows my pain.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Riverine is cool, and I unironically wish I had done it during my DIVO time when I had the chance. Back before they combined with the MSRONs and started to suck. Back when it was like the wild west on the water.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

germskr posted:

ManMyth: If anything, the merger negatively impacted the MSRON side of the house having to train on even more pointless bullet points added to the ROC/POE that are either unsustainable or unrealistic (and believe me, MSRON already had a lot of that). When they dismantled RIVRON, they sent most of the senior guys away (none of those senior folks didn't even have the combat experience from Iraq anyway as those guys PCSd or got out already) and sent the greenest of the bunch to relearn how to be some kind of hybrid offensive/defensive littoral-inland-fighting warrior that is the jack of all trades, master of none since they require training on 34ft Sea Arks along with RCB, RAB, RPB, and RCC.

My friends in the community said the opposite. According to them the merger put the RIVRONS under traditional ATFP minded people who promptly threw out all of the operational knowledge gained in Iraq, and curtailed the sort of "get it done" attitude that had been instilled there because it wasn't IAW whatever stupid FP instruction they had written. They are also much more risk averse and tended to treat the RCBs like suped up security boats rather then offensive asserts that can go outside the wire as it were.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

In many respects they are two completely opposite in terms of their mission. So thinking they could be combined was pretty drat asinine.

I agree with this 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I believe the answer is that at the highest levels, NECC is a giant directionless ball of gently caress.

• Locked thread