Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

My friend was told to get new boots when he showed up to this command. He had gone through the diver pipeline out of boot camp and I guess they issue the high speed dudes a different pair of boots than the lovely bates the rest of us got. He just got handed down some fuzzy ones from one of the old second classes that got HYT'd out. I hear those are super comfy. Meanwhile, the sole on mine are worn away almost to my feet but I'll be damned if I'm buying some on my last year in.

cheap the gently caress out and get them resoled...or go find out if sugru will stick on the soles for an extra gently caress the navy step.

sugru is a glue-type slurry that drys into flexible rubber. people use it for various things. http://sugru.com/about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

I never knew about this product or that I needed it until just now.

sugru is pretty cool, but pricey. the website isn't kidding about the expiration date/keeping them in the fridge to extend the expiration date.
once sugru is expired, it turns into flexible rubber inside the packaging.

sugru is pretty useful for pranks, and automobile repair. if you're insane enough, you could even use sugru to:
http://terminallance.com/2010/12/21/terminal-lance-90-the-gift-of-giving-part-i/

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

Beards would be pretty sick, and kind of motivating in a "hardier" sort of way, plus it improves morale because you're not surrounded by a bunch of baby faces and the higher ups with permanent fatface can at least cover it up a bit.

I think the main reason they don't put morale high up on the list of priorities is because they view high morale as a threat to general military discipline. They fail to realize that if you have a bunch of people trained to work in the thick of it as their lives are at stake, with high morale you would have the internal drive to do more for whatever organization you're a part of and can see yourself advancing better. One of the biggest things that has always pissed me off is when I'm actually having a good day and some Chief or junior officer is like "WHAT'S TO SMILE ABOUT WHEN YOU'RE ON DUTY, SHIPMATE" :chiefsay: Like, drat, I'm standing a bullshit duty and I'm enjoying my 8 hours of solitude after leaving work to come do this, calm the gently caress down. I guess they want a pissed off corpsman to greet service members and whiny family members just to piss them off even more so they can complain. I don't know how they correlate a smiling person as a threat, but someone that's just playing the system by going through the motions of checking boxes and manipulating others isn't a liability when poo poo hits the fan while people are only thinking for themselves.

higher morale would mean people with actual life skills would stay in, and dilute the power of :chiefsay:x100

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

buttplug posted:

:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay: OBEY
:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay: THE NAVY
:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay:
:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ah, i didn't read the october or november navy threads, and wasn't aware of the latest of pandasmore's problems.
buttplug, sorry for the diss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Of course today is the day that everyone that knows I was in the navy messages me saying "go navy you watching the game?"

reply back "navy football is why i'm crippled"

• Locked thread