Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

i got out in 2009 when raping was still cleared hot

This came to mind:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

Lucky. Ours are $75 loving dollars. And an hour away in Tokyo. And they reserve, like, 15 rooms and there's 3,000 people at our command. gently caress that.

The New Sanno was my home base for crushing rear end in Shibuya for like 2 years (gently caress Roppo). It is good, good times. :)

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

You know what man: you have a terrible, whiny, immature attitude. I get that you're unhappy at your command, but have you ever stopped to do a bit of soul-searching to think that maybe the problem is partially your attitude/demeanor/behavior? Do you really, genuinely think that khakis at your command are "out to get you" or that khakis in general come to work scheming and plotting to gently caress over SN Pandasmores? It simply isn't true. There may be one or two douchebags like that at every command, but the wardroom/mess usually marginalizes those folks into harmless obscurity. 95% of your posts throughout the duration of the last 2-3 Navy threads (since I've been paying attention) have been you whining about your command. Seriously.

When I see your posts, all I see is a bitter, disillusioned, immature kid. I have worked with all 5 branches of the military and I have never met and officer/SNCO that honest-to-gently caress showed up to work and tried to poo poo on junior enlisted. There may be a lot of tough love, there may be a lot of bullshit taskers/menial crap that rolls down the pipe and lands on you, but guess what - that's any job. And you never magically become immune to it at any rank - not even at the FOGO level. The stupidity actually gets *worse* the more senior you get because you're that much closer to the political mouth-breathing.

You know, I spent 2 hours of my morning today chasing down a Master Chief and another LT because neither of them could loving muster on time. Where I work, we literally send police to people's house when they don't show up for work/phone in within a set period of time. It was within about 15 minutes of that "oh poo poo"-window for that Master Chief, too. Two man-hours worth of your tax-dollars chasing down an O3 and an E9, but you know what...everybody has to deal with menial/mundane crap they'd rather not be doing. That's life, that's any job. Ultimately I (and you) still get paid on the 1st and the 15th regardless of whether or not I'm raking leaves (done it), shoveling snow (done it), cleaning a shitter for motherfucking ADM Bill McRaven to not poo poo in (done it), climbing into a lube oil sump to clean it out (done it), pushing paper (doing it), or sitting in a cubicle (doing it). You're still getting a paycheck, have a steady job, health insurance, and can get your grill fixed for free.

I totally get that your experiences are wildly different from those of Chiefs and Officers. Absolutely not lost on me, wasn't born with a silver spoon jammed up my rear end. But, at some point man, you have to ask yourself if YOU'RE the problem walking around with such a pessimistic attitude about everything. People see right through all of the smart remarks and honestly, acting like that causes people to not want to be around you. People will marginalize you, write you off, and stop taking you seriously if you're perceived as "that guy who complains all the time"; you end up coming off as a brat, a child.

Think I'm being a cock by saying all of this? Less than a month ago you admitted to purposefully Christmas-Treeing an exam to sabotage your changes for promotion - who in their right mind does that?

I know people in this thread have tried to have their individual Come-to-Jesus (tm) moments with you, but goddamn...maybe its time to grow up?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 10, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

This. Thanks, BP. I get the impression that you *look* for things to get angry about, Panda. Fix that. The only person who can change your situation is you.

That ", Panda" makes all the difference. I read your post about 5 times and was like "is she...is she talking to me or Panda?" :D

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Even if you're 99.998% sure you're getting out of the military, you should NEVER just go "gently caress it, I'm getting out". It's always better to hedge your bets and keep on progressing/promoting/qualifying until you've no-poo poo got paperwork in hand.

Too often people go "eh, I'm getting out" and go dink on quals or other requirements and then have a change of heart at the absolute last minute. I've seen people (officers and enlisted both) go dink on PQS/quals and go "meh, I'm getting out, don't give a poo poo" and then at the last minute due to extenuating circumstances they decide to stay in but the extension on their qual or whatever has lapsed and they get non-qual'ed/attrite. At some point, it's even out of the CO's hands and the command is directed to start ADSEP paperwork. It sucks, but again, never sell yourself short.

tuluk posted:

buttplug, sorry for the diss.

No worries, I'm just calling it like I see it.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 10, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

For the most part, you're kidding yourself if you think the navy gives half a drat about setting you up to be successful outside of the navy.

I had some very poor leadership and will forever hate the navy because of it if you couldn't tell ;).....this is mostly due to just how much these people truly control your life. I dunno, not a fan of being the property of the government, especially now that I know the average military person that is in charge of others.

I'm sorry for your experiences, but let me clue you in on a nugget of truth: the military does not exist to "set you up for success" once you get out. I don't give two shits what leadership gets up on their soapbox and spouts, it is simply not how the organization is structured. The military exists to fight wars and kill people. Plain and simple.

That being said, there are tons of opportunities within the military that you can utilize to set yourself up for success. It is pure fantasy that "the Navy" or anybody in it is going to just arbitrarily do anything for you purely of their own volition; however, in that same sense the military won't just "take care of you" for your future, either. BUT, if you ask for help and show that you're motivated to take advantage of those opportunities (and you can get the basics right like showing up for work, doing your job, quals, etc) and would like to pursue the nebulous aforementioned "opportunities" there are a shitload of people who will bend over backwards to obtain.

I've got $30,000 worth of certs -- all on the gov't time. I'm getting a master's on the gov't dime. I know people who have gone to Yale/Stanford/MIT/Georgetown/Harvard - all while active duty (3 of whom are still attending said institutions). Look at programs like STA-21, LEP (Law Education Program - send people to get their JD), or USNA programs (E4 in my divison was just picked up to go to the Academy). There are a ton of opportunities but nobody's going to drop that poo poo into your lap, especially not when you've got a weak-rear end attitude like Panda (and yours, apparently). The military didn't bone you and isn't boning him - you both boned yourselves by being negative-nancy whiners instead of applying yourself.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

saw m0t, didnt read

tl;dr You sound like just as much of a negative, disillusioned whiner as Panda who probably whined your whole time in, instead of taking advantage of all the opportunities the military writ large has to offer.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

tldr you probably have no concept of actual long hours or hard work and are still the same self described genius rotc idiot who gives away NK secrets that you've always been lol

The truth hurts, doesn't it? First, I'm not ROTC. And second, I remember when a couple of you gently caress-knuckles 'sperged over something that I pulled off globalsecurity. Here you go, here's my "classified" source you nit-wit. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/oplan-5027.htm But yea, sperg away about a theater you've probably never spent any actual time in. :rolleyes:

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 10, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

I don't claim to understand every detail of E3 life although I did come from a pretty blue collar family. But I can see how Pandas latest post set butttplug off.

I don't claim to understand E3 life either, but millions of the people come into the military from all walks of life and hundreds of thousands of those people are able to make something of themselves, do great things, and come out better on the other side. There are people who get raw deals from time to time, Panda (as a corpsman sitting in a hospital on shore-duty who has never deployed) is not one of them. Like any job - the military is what you make of it...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Because bubble heads never have shore duty and are the only sea-going, arduous-duty, deployable job in the Navy... :rolleyes:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

KetTarma posted:

The first part of your post is pretty spot on, actually.

*Nuke bitching*

As a surface-nuke, I averaged 3 section duty + 12 hour workdays for about 8 of the 9 years I was on a ship. When I say duty, I mean it was down in the plant, skipping meals, usually 2-3 hours of sleep if I was lucky, not the "sit phone watch at the barracks and do a tour" like you might be thinking. Every 3rd day you're working all night. Every 3rd day you're sleeping off duty once you get home at 5-6pm. Good luck attending classes.

Then again, submarine-nukes had it worse than me in almost every way since they are regularly 2 section.

The only normal shore duty that nukes get is recruiting. Everything else (except for a few positions teaching A-school that mainly go to chiefs that have already done an arduous shore duty) is about as bad as sea duty. The -best- part of my shore duty was 5 section rotating shiftwork, ~10 hour days, 7 day workweeks.

*end nuke bitching*

Expecting anyone to have time to "better themselves" in that career path is ridiculous. If you have time to do all of those IT certs and a masters degree, you have a cake job.

I'm NOT disagree with anybody that trying to crank out certs or degrees on sea duty is next to impossible. You - like the last 3 people - are predominantly relaying your experiences being uber busy *at sea*. I loving get it - sea duty is not the time to pursue extracurricular. Sure. What I *am* saying is that there are plenty of opportunities while on shore duty to do so. It took me 6 years in the Navy before I had a chance (now) to sit down and crank out a master's. SN Timmy shouldn't expect to knock out a master's during his first tour (or even term) in any sea-going rate.

ManMythLegend posted:

What I have learned from the last few pages of care in this thread is that it is apparently impossible to be both critical of an organization and successful within it. Gotta pick one or the other apparently.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There is a LOT of poo poo that is hosed up with the Navy (and military culture in general). I could literally sit down and write a book on all of the hosed up experiences I've had so far. BUT, there's a lot of good with that bad, too, and there *are* a lot of opportunities to be had. Just because I didn't poo poo on the Navy in the last couple pages (because I was busy making GBS threads on Panda for being a perpetual whiner) doesn't mean I don't have my own gripes about the Navy. I started rolling my eyes when I began typing up this response and still haven't stopped because I have images of all the truly, truly stupid poo poo I've seen Big Navy during my time in. And you're a SWO - that more or less sums up your entire ~11 years right? ;)

PneumonicBook posted:

That being said, getting a master's and poo poo doesn't necessarily mean you have a cake job. Despite everyone's thoughts on the general enlisted population some of us actually apply ourselves.

In my case, it just literally means I have no social life for the next ~1.5-2yrs. I'm cranking out a technical master's and JPME I at the same time. I originally had orders to Naval Postgrad after my last duty station but opted for a special program that I got picked up for instead (and couldn't turn down once a 2-star threw his name in the hat for me). *shrugs* It's doable - it loving sucks, but it's doable. It also helps that I don't have a wife or any kids. Not saying pulling down any kind of degree while you're in the service is a walk in the park - there are only 24 hours in the day and at some point there will always be sacrifices that have to be made to accomplish your goals.

edit: And no, I literally do not work on any "school work" at loving work, either. Literally not possible even if I wanted to.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 11, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Bro, I ask you with all seriousness, have you contacted an IG or at the very least a JAG?

This. Some serious, SERIOUS red flags went up reading Analogical's post. If that poo poo's true, and I'm going to assume it is, heads, dicks, balls - all of it - will roll for something like this.

If Navy JAG/Navy IG said those things to you, I highly recommend you contact DOD IG ASAP.

http://www.dodig.mil/About_Us/contactUs.html

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Even their labels have accents

It's Korean, it just says "SASIMI" *shrugs*. Wait, you paid 20 bucks for that poo poo? Goddamn...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

Ha! I've been in 3 and a half and just started my second row (I'll let you guess which one it is).

That's because this command is stingy as gently caress with impact awards unless you deploy.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

All the NIOCs are IMO. The impacts they do give out are for really weird reasons. I tried to nominate a guy for a coin and they wouldn't even do that. I think part of it is that the civilians run most of our offices so the Naval component can't track when we do something that would merit an award and the civs don't ever think to tip off our NCOICs. My LPO doesn't even know what I do at a job title or description level, not because she can't either.

*shrugs* I'm an 1820, this is my first NIOC...no basis of reference. Even with the way the NIOCs are setup, there's nothing stopping MIL folks from putting other MIL folks in for awards and leaving the narrative/write-up on the high side with all the juicy juicy goodness and then just sanitizing the citation...

I just came from the joint world where the Army handed out awards like they were going out of style. I walked away from a 3-year tour with 2 JSAMs and a DMSM as an O3 (unheard of).

To put it in perspective, COs typically get a MSM after a successful command at sea.

Analogical posted:

There's still some in intel but you have like 28 days to get your boots on that ground before the campaign is over for awards.

Until the ISIS CRISIS that is. Looking like I'll be sent to advise next year but I doubt they'll retro a campaign so really it's just six months of bootlegged movies and comfortable-but-annoying living conditions.

AFAIK the OIF campaign ribbon was extended in light of the recent events with ISIS. I'm assuming you're referring to the OEF campaign ribbon being schwacked? I must have missed that..

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 13, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I caught part of it at lunch today. It's funny, all the patriotic poo poo about honor and sacrifice and so on and my thoughts are just "LOL boots"

I caught maybe 20 cumulative minutes of it on the radio today while driving around and thought it was pretty amusing how the commentators talk about mids/cadets like they're all war heroes when in reality they've done absolutely jack squat gently caress-all and aren't even in the "real" military yet. But w/e.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

attn: all hands ft meade md crew. frisco tap house brewery has a new location in crofton . join the beer club, drink 50 different beers and get a free t shirt.. 100 beers and all pints are upgraded to 20 oz. let's get hosed up.

What's the address shippie? I only know of the one in Columbia...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

You sound like that bothers you, and I'm sad for you because it should not.

Sorry your LPO is an rear end in a top hat. Don't learn from her.

Too many people these days having kids to save their lovely marriages and screw up their alter less-than-stellar financial situations. And then, they'll use it as a trump card to get out of things...

poopkitty posted:

See, at this point in my career, I kind of disagree with this. I won't argue it because it's pointless, and honestly I don't really know how I would fix it. But I resent that my children are five years apart because of a career that will be over soon. My family is FAR more important to me and I set them aside for it and that's crap.

Family planning is your responsibility, not the military's. You consciously chose a profession that includes extended periods of time where you may be away from home/significant other/kids.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 14, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

And holy poo poo people are idiots if they think a baby is magically going to fix a marriage rather than be another set of stressors and responsibilities they wpuld argue over (not saying any of you did this, just saying).

Oh no, I'm not saying that to be a smart-rear end or tongue-in-cheek. I have watched friends, coworkers, and dozens of acquaintances/seniors/subordinates do this in the military. I can literally think of about 5 couples off the top of my head to popped out a kid specifically to save their dysfunctional marriage. It is exceedingly common in and out of the military.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
We were 3 for 3 on Army female E3/E4s in my last duty station just within my office getting pregnant *literally* within 6 months of showing up in country. They spent the majority of their 1-2 year tour pregnant, on LIMDU/profile, or on convalescent leave and contributed almost nothing to the mission whatsoever. They were relegated to doing secretarial-type work outside their MOS and their chain of command spent a good chunk of their time going through the paperwork nut-roll of getting them housing, BAH, etc.

At some point, you have to ask a difficult question: what obligation does the military have to coddle and take care of you when you get pregnant and cannot do you job or be value-added in any meaningful way? How is it fair to the rest of your shipmates/battle buddies/whatever when you show up, but don't contribute because you spent you entire tour pregnant.

And the kicker is it's not like these girls were second-term or seasoned soldiers, they were first-term, first duty station. One was 19, one was 21-22, and the other way like 28 (joined late). 2 of them were unmarried, the third only got married after she got pregnant.

edit: On a personal level I have absolutely no issues with women in any capacity anywhere in the military, and again, on a personal level I don't care when/why they get pregnant. It's not my business, but I'm also not a CO. If I put my CO-hat on (lol) or approach this from a purely business/mission-oriented perspective, then it's quite infuriating to think about.

I work with several people who have spent the majority of their time in the military specifically being a drain on the system, requiring far more "input" than the "output" they yield. I work in the same cubicle as a guy who epitomizes this. He literally takes multiple days off per week for his medical woes, wife's medical woes, laser surgery, random leave, random appointments on the other side of the state, etc. He took the entire day off Friday because he was "out with the chaplain". Really motherfucker? Really? I've seldom seen him to a shred of actual work. For every poo poo-hot hard-worker I see at this duty station, I see 3-4 lazy, whiny, entitled, coddled wastes of a uniform who have never deployed, contributed, and can barely be bothered to show up on time (and even that's a iffy).

Look at me, now I sound like Panda. Got me drinking that Sunday hatorade!

buttplug fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 14, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

^ yeah pretty much

Sorry guys gotta drive my wife to her appointment for fibromyalgia to get her narcs refilled. Yeah we only have one car because I have a 2014 V6 mustang fully loaded and we can't afford two! yeah the appointment is out in town and yeah it's probably going to take all day sorry have fun at work!

Skating is one thing but between wife, kids, malingering, housing bs, wife's medical issues, etc, some people can straight up miss a week of work

Those are somehow always the ones going to every command function/event, getting bruised knees, and doing bake sales

The senior enlisted are sympathetic because they all have 4 kids and a bitchy fat wife with medical issues. Meanwhile the e-3/e-4 scrubs have to pick up the work to go home to a shared barracks room and are getting yelled at because they have twice the work and can't keep up and are always in sight of the higher ups and they gotta bitch at someone then they miss out on all that extra pay while being treated like a plebeian because they decided to not get married or have kids

Then you ask to run a personal errand or even going to the PX and Jesus Christ it's like you're asking for some huge personal favor

As a single noble I have very little sympathy for people pulling the "mahh kids" card. Not because I'm an O, but because I'm single and have been first-hand hosed-over a couple of times literally by virtue of being single, just so married person X could skip watch/get out of their duty section because Timmy scraped his knee or had some school activity where he demonstrates his lackluster talents and future mediocrity for mommy and daddy.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

It seems like getting married is a requirement before commissioning though. I can count on one hand the amount of bachelor officers I worked with

I know tons of single JOs....but as I get closer to 30, the number is dropping. Personally, I love being single and have no desire to settle down yet. I'm free to travel, I've banked a ton of cash, I don't have family obligations/concerns in as far as picking duty stations goes, and I generally just do whatever the gently caress I want.

Several of my coworkers at my last duty station (on both the O & E side) would try to set me up with their wives' friends, friends daughters, neighbors daughters, etc. (most of the wives were Korean/Japanese)...which was great, because they did a lot of the work for me. I never had the heart to tell them that I'd usually nail the girl in question a couple times and just sorta move on. The husbands (the dudes I actually worked with) all knew I wasn't settling down any time soon as had to live vicariously through me since they'd all gotten locked down years ago with the wife/kids. Monday mornings in my predominantly all-male office literally always started off with mandatory "so, what did YOU do this weekend buttplug?" story-time.

Even *if* I do get married down the road, I have absolutely zero desire to have kids. People pull the whole "oh you'll change your mind when you get older" card on me once in a while, but the older I get the less I want kids. No thanks.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 15, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
^^^^^^^ See, see! poo poo like this is exactly why I love being single.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Just reverse engineered some malware...heh :dealwithit:

drat son are you for real?

Welcome to the Internet.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

lol buttplug acts like being single is his choice

:emo:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Angry Fish posted:

I've never been to the Philippines, so thank you for confirming my constructed opinion of the expat community overe there.

If they made a naval base in the Philippines, it would just be another Diego Garcia for the Pacific. No dependents, a lack of usable infrastructure, and a harbor (cause you're sure as hell not using Manila) that makes groundings a common occurance because they simply can't dredge up enough of that soft silt + hard calcium combo deposits to get anything of significant draft through the channel.

edit: It would be an expensive project, is all I'm saying.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/02/us-philippines-usa-idUSBREA4107020140502

I'll look for a better explanation later, but there's a lot of talk about us forward deploying some [more] of our assets back to Subic once the infrastructure is revitalized after we pump some money into it. As we continue to ramp down out of OIF/OEF we're going to continue to pivot back towards Asia (and jumble some assets around there as well).

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

Let me homestead and I might even consider re-enlisting. How am I supposed to set up my hobbyist blacksmithery if I'm going to be moving around all the time? Jeez.

You are in one of a handful of ratings in the Navy where you can absolutely homestead with little-to-no adverse effects assuming you deploy once in a while. In fact, I know Senior Chiefs at this duty station who have bounced between Norfolk and Maryland for 12-13 years. You simply won't get a better deal than that anywhere else in the Navy if you want to homestead, short of having an EFMP situation.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 18, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Octopode posted:

And yet, every loving IP detailing brief and board community brief emphasises how important it is to have "geographic diversity" in your record.

I mean, If there's billets where I'm at, I can save the Navy's money and stay where I want, but they still want to punish homesteaders for *reasons*.

I have to disagree with what Mr. Nice says specifically as it pertains to officers. Yes, the Navy wants officers with eclectic, operational backgrounds who have worked in a variety of diverse billets across multiple AORs. I just sat in the IP officer regional meeting for the Annapolis/MD/DC are and there were about 30 of us, including 6 O-6s who more or less ran the show and gave excellent advice. That advice being: take diverse tours, go to sea where possible, deploy if you can, do operational poo poo, and don't homestead if you value your career.

1820s != CTs. Even 1810s who homestead around NSA and just play the UIC-swap game are penalized beyond beyond O4 if they don't get the hell off the east coast. The same can be said of almost any designator in the IDC. Keep in mind that your board is 80% URL folks, 20% IDC, including literally maybe 2 people (sometimes 1) from your designator.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Vriess posted:

Double length of tours. Make officers do 4 year tours like enlisted guys.

Will absolutely never happen. Even 3 year tours are reserved for shore duty/"cooling off" periods, with 2-year tours generally for OCONUS sea duty and 1yr (average) deployments. Scroll up to the tidbit I just wrote about diversity. The Navy wants offices with a diverse background. 4 + 4 years = 2 whole tours by the time you're coming up for O4 which is not even remotely diverse or broadening.

Also, most enlisted get 4-year orders for their first duty station because so many of them jump ship after their first term, and its a huge cost-savings to not have to PCS someone twice in 4 years who is just going to get out (statistically).

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

That and standardize transfer seasons. And some other things. Does the Navy have assignment priorities? In other words, a given billet has a numerical priority attached to it that the body filling it inherits when it comes to choosing their next assignment.

e: For real question about the Navy, do all officers have a realistic expectation of command in their career path? Or is it limited to a narrow career path? I get what's being said about assignment diversity, but that's some high level doublespeak that has to do with positional churn to save any one place from burning to the ground at the hands of one really lovely officer.

Standardized transfer seasons is a terrible idea because it was destroy what little continuity we have from person to person, command to command (imagine if 40% of your command PCS'ed within a one month period).

And billet do have a numerical priority assigned to them, at least on the officer side, although this is generally only something the detailers can see AFAIK.

And not "all" officers have a realistic expectation (or aspiration) for command in their career, but it is definitely what Big Navy leadership pushes on folks if you're even remotely competent. I know plenty of folks who have no desire whatsoever for command ashore or at sea. Some community are only eligible for command ashore (i.e. the restricted line communities, like the IDC). Some people consciously choose an easier career path with a better quality of life that they know will "disqualify" (read: make them not competitive) for command.

Lastly, the tidbits I threw out there about assignment diversity aren't high-level doublespeak, really. The military legitimately wants people who have diverse backgrounds in multiple AORs and countries because it generally makes you more well-rounded as a person. Here's a silly example-analogy: who is generally more interesting to talk to? The guy who spent his entire working adult life in Kentucky, or the guy who have lived in 3-4 diverse places? Apply that to the military...who is going to *generally* make the better decisions: the guy who has served in 3-4 wildly diverse AORs with a very collection of experiences/situations/events, or the O who sat in Norfolk and UIC swapped within the same 250-mile radius his entire career?

Obviously I'm painting with a broad brush on that last bit, but it's generally true.

Boon posted:

3-year tours do not happen anymore, at least not in the SWO community.

That's the exception, not the rule (no, literally). It's in the JFTR. Skip down to Q1-1.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/browse/Travel_Regulations/Regulations_Changes/Monthly/2011/JFTR/Change-300%2812-01-11%29.pdf

buttplug fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

I've lived it, and, in general, it worked great. Exceptions to that are, of course, that one year where the stars align and a bunch of people rotate/separate at the same time. Even then, if the command is doing things right it shouldn't be an issue.

But it's a different service, so, it's unlikely the Navy could actually implement the change even if they wanted to.

Except that it always *is* an issue. There's something to be said when the majority of continuity at any given command resides with civilians or contractors, and that is very common throughout the entire DoD not just the Navy. It is a huge, huge issue. My last office had 6 out of 10 folks PCS within 2 months and almost a year later they're *still* emailing me with questions. Not their fault, but it happens.

• Locked thread