Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Analogical posted:

In another life I was on the fire department and they gave us the same reasoning for why we had to keep shaven. When we first came on they'd have the guys with beards do a mask test to prove it to us and it did impact the seal enough to be detrimental. Those weren't trivial beards, though. My beard right now is pretty short and I can't imagine a tightened mask wouldn't seal.

what about positive-pressure breathing systems like a scba? I've always heard that it doesn't matter in that case.

I get the cbrn side where a gas mask wouldn't be positive-pressure, though I typically think if you're donning mopp gear for non-training reasons on a ship you're already hosed, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

p good thread

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

DownByTheWooter posted:

it's almost as if when you choose your rate, you also choose

... your fate !?

ugh

shore duty guys where I work appear to have a pretty cool gig, a nuke mm1 I've worked with a couple times works in the LEAN office and basically helps me fix our broken sharepoint when I don't have time for it, and the other nuke guy I know does some poo poo with namts and pounds energy drinks all day which makes him mostly unintelligible. most of my other interaction with sailors here seems to be seeing people get dragged into the legal office by the MAs for dui/domestics or telling them I don't handle travel when they ask how to get to mandatory rehab

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Pandasmores posted:

Weird, usually the TAD office handles the rehab stuff here. Their command should be taking care of the paperwork, since its their money being used depending on the stay. You definitely dont want a guy that demonstrated irresponsibility with a dui or going into treatment to better themselves handling stuff like that. DAPA handles setting up care, command gets them there, even across states if treatment isnt available at a Navy facility but is in a civilian one elsewhere.

Eh, it's different everywhere and this command has a real weird money situation (my job) and so it can be really inconsistent. I understand their confusion, it's just one of the few times I see sailors below the O-4/E-8 level. I'm completely separate from travel, though the way things are going I'm going to end up with it as a collateral eventually until I deny enough people's claims that they take it right back away.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Can't you just say it's not in your PD?

That's definitely not how that works. People think this about Civil Service, but uh, it's a snap to update a PD.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Ah. My only use/knowledge of it was when the civilian ESO for my last unit said she didn't have to come to the main unit as she was primarily working out of a sub unit (which she lived closer to), so I requested her PD which showed her main job functions should happen at my unit and showed it to the Command. Soon after she was working out of the main unit and doing 'travel as required' to any sub-units, per her PD. I only pushed the issue because she was a bitch that never wanted to help out with tests/TA and said she didn't have to since I had the collateral.

Basically the "That's not in my job description." is a nuclear option that might work once, and you had better be right to assert that whatever you're doing isn't a.) covered by vague language in your PD and b.) is something you actually shouldn't be doing. Best case scenario if you piss off someone important enough to do something about it is that the union attempts to interfere with updating the PD, but to be honest, the unions involved with civil service have absolutely no teeth since there's no ability to strike. As a disclaimer this all depends on command climate and other factors which may have an effect on the outcome of any kind of grievance or complaint lodged against a GS/WG/WF whatever the gently caress.

This is, incidentally, why when the JTR/JFTR merged that the per diem/M&IE changes went through without a hitch, because the unions are incapable of doing anything meaningful about it.

Hekk posted:

Is PO1 E-6? If so are you saying you picked up E-6 in five years?

e: sorry to poo poo up thread w/ civ service chat
Yes, it's E6 and I picked up E6 in 5 years, 5 months. Not in the Navy, though.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Assignment Officer/Detailer is an insanely lovely job with not enough money involved in the PCS process and any number of people trying to pull favors. It sucks, but the only way to improve it is a route the Navy is highly unlikely to take.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Vriess posted:

Double length of tours. Make officers do 4 year tours like enlisted guys.

That and standardize transfer seasons. And some other things. Does the Navy have assignment priorities? In other words, a given billet has a numerical priority attached to it that the body filling it inherits when it comes to choosing their next assignment.

e: For real question about the Navy, do all officers have a realistic expectation of command in their career path? Or is it limited to a narrow career path? I get what's being said about assignment diversity, but that's some high level doublespeak that has to do with positional churn to save any one place from burning to the ground at the hands of one really lovely officer.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 18, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't understand your question. Are you asking if all officers themselves have an expectation of command, or if the Navy expects all officers to have command?

Does the expected career path of any given naval officer include command? Or is it more realistically restricted to a few specialties?

e: I know any officer of appropriate grade can command, I guess I'm asking if it's realistic to expect all officers to pursue command.

e2: That's still not right. What is THE NAVY's expectation of officers, should you be preparing for command, or if you're in certain specialties is it basically not an option due to more suitable individuals? I don't know how the Navy screens for command, and that's why I'm asking. The diverse tour thing is goofy to me not because of the concept, but because the amount of officers in general, and the limited command slots.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 18, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

I can't speak for the RL and staff corps communities, but for URL types the Navy absolutely expects you to be preparing for command. In fact every promotion board is designed to select the officers which are most likely be selected for command in the future based on their performance to that point.

"Preparing for command" is a pretty broad term, and what it actually entails is pretty nebulous. For the SWO community in particular, things like geographical diversity aren't really as important as being successful in your sea going tours, meeting the educational wickets for command, and working hard, SWO related, staff jobs ashore. The other URL communities value different things.

Even though there are no hard and fast rules there is a general understanding of what a "good" and "bad" tour for preparing for command looks like. Detailers in general will force you to take a "good" tour so that you don't end up self selecting out of the potential CO pool.

Thanks, this answered my question. So does what Octopode said. I'm still adjusting to how the Navy does business, and, if nothing else my change in careers has given me an acute appreciation for where I came from.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

Did you just commission?

Worse. I took a civil service job.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

buttplug posted:

Standardized transfer seasons is a terrible idea because it was destroy what little continuity we have from person to person, command to command (imagine if 40% of your command PCS'ed within a one month period).

I've lived it, and, in general, it worked great. Exceptions to that are, of course, that one year where the stars align and a bunch of people rotate/separate at the same time. Even then, if the command is doing things right it shouldn't be an issue.

But it's a different service, so, it's unlikely the Navy could actually implement the change even if they wanted to.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

buttplug posted:

Except that it always *is* an issue. There's something to be said when the majority of continuity at any given command resides with civilians or contractors, and that is very common throughout the entire DoD not just the Navy. It is a huge, huge issue. My last office had 6 out of 10 folks PCS within 2 months and almost a year later they're *still* emailing me with questions. Not their fault, but it happens.

I will agree with you in the outside case that the Navy tried to implement something like that it would end up with everyone in an office or program leaving at once. Based on my limited experience thus far I don't trust the Navy to implement service-wide policies and frankly I'm shocked that most people are wearing the same uniform.

Either way, I'm not arguing with you. I know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

If they Navy handles SPM/DITY like USAF/USCG then it's plenty easy to scam. A couple years ago though they changed the calculations probably to cut down on the number of people scamming it. Or at least to cut down the amount of money involved.

• Locked thread