Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DustyNuts posted:

PCS on Monday, 35 days of leave before school. I joined the Navy at 18, 14 years ago. I'm gonna try to grow my very first beard guys.

Its either going to be glorious or joe dirtesque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

After a week it doesn't itch anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just shampoo and condition mine. I've never had problems with it itching or dandruff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was TAD for months sometimes and was never issued a GTC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You guys are all fags.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hey actus, need some pro bono work to fill in your downtime?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still find it very hard to give a gently caress about the naval and army academies playing football.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Of course today is the day that everyone that knows I was in the navy messages me saying "go navy you watching the game?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Angry Fish posted:

I'd love a long answer. Is there some kind of primer on this available through PSD or someplace?

It just seems so god damned arbitrary.

There is a budget specifically allocated to PCSing people. It isn't infinite, but it also isn't as simple as some of the hyperbole here makes it out to be. For example, when I was in, there was a goal to have at least 70% of first tour to second tour JO SWOs stay in the same homeport. Additionally, priority was placed on people overseas in places like Japan to move back to the states, so likewise there was little difficulty PCSing to Japan.

When you consider that only 30% is really going to be allowed to move and a non-trivial chunk of that will be people moving to/from Japan/Rota/Etc, you can start to see how there simply might not be enough room in the budget to move a single person over that 30% a few states down the road.

Granted these percentages have likely changed in the past few years, the general concept is the same. There is a dollar ceiling and there are expected numbers through each rank group on how many can PCS.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

Let me homestead and I might even consider re-enlisting. How am I supposed to set up my hobbyist blacksmithery if I'm going to be moving around all the time? Jeez.

Depending on your job and where you actually want to stay, it is easier to stay in a single homeport for a career these days than it was 10-20 years ago. No-cost PCS are almost always favored if they can be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The current DESRON 31 commodore has like 9 kids as well. Dude has a 15 passenger van as a POV.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Don't worry about me ever shedding tears for aviators.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I preferred when other people moved all my poo poo for me so I didn't have to do a loving thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I had a 35 year old guy in my boot class. The most poo poo he got was the first day when they saw how old he was. He was then pretty much ignored from then out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'd make a SWO joke, but that's demeaning even for them. Also because there are plenty of aviation idiot emails floating around the grapevine...

There are red flags throughout, though, that let you know that she hasn't done too hot as a SWO as well. Her department head tours were cut short and she got sent to be the birthday officer at her last command. Sure, she got a 5.0 transfer fitrep, but that fitrep doesn't actually mean anything. She was headed to her last command regardless.

• Locked thread